Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
spumoni
Level 7

Re: Audio Popping while watching movie

"calicommando" wrote:
"RokuJamesL" wrote:
We have fix for this issue that we expect to release soon. It's currently in beta testing but the results have been pretty conclusive and we are confident this long standing issue has been eliminated.

Should this fix be in the 1.5 firmware? I updated to 1.5 today and I'm still having the issue. Didn't know if there was another fix still coming. . .

No. The Roku guys posted that the fix for the popping was in beta after the 1.5 firmware upgrade was released. It should be coming soon.
0 Kudos
tegman
Level 7

We had popping sounds while watching "Manhattan" on 12/31/08 between 9-11p.m. est. They occurred occasionally throughout the movie and sounded like the pops you would hear watching a worn out film in a theater or a scratched vinyl record. We have the Roku hooked directly to the TV, a Samsung tx r 2435 and were watching SD.

Teg
Time Warner Cable, Netgear WGR614v6, WPA-PSK, wireless connection
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 12

There's an update in beta testing now.. No need to post that it's happening to you anymore- as there's several pages worth of posts saying the same thing.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
microlady
Level 7

Movie Titles

Thanks for the movie titles. I will try them and see what happens. I do use WiFi.

At least so far it does not sound like it is always the same movies everyone has a problem with.

Will come back after checking these out.
Original Roku Model N1000,bought 2008 (2014 still works perfectly)
2014 new owner of Roku 3500 (HDMI) streaming stick
2016 new owner of Roku 3600 (HDMI) streaming stick
0 Kudos
microlady
Level 7

movie update

Well, I wrote down some of the problem movies.

I did not check out: The Fifth Element or Escape from New York as Netflix only shows these as DVD and not Instant.

I did check out A Crude awakening..the Oil Crash... where the comment said it was bad from the start. I watched 10 minutes without any audio problems.

I also watched Xanadu for 10 minutes...a musical...no audio problems.

I do have the update version of 1.5. I wonder if those who get this version would have problems with those movies.

This all kind of reminded me of a volume regulator I bought where some reviews said there was audio popping and it had to do with how the audio was connected...they advised not to use the TV speakers but to run the audio through a receiver to outside speakers. But I didn't have the problem with this either and I use my TV speakers.

Hope everyone's audio loses popping...that's at the top of my wish list.
Original Roku Model N1000,bought 2008 (2014 still works perfectly)
2014 new owner of Roku 3500 (HDMI) streaming stick
2016 new owner of Roku 3600 (HDMI) streaming stick
0 Kudos
sbufe
Level 7

I have audio popping in my movies, but that's because the speaker's on top of the mini fridge. Every time the fridge shuts off, a huge spark goes into the speaker wire.

Not probably your problem, tho.
0 Kudos
uthanda
Level 7

Digital distortion

I'm not sure if my issue is related or something different. When watching Jericho Season 1 episode 16 (Semper Fidelis) and 17 (Winter Ends), I'm hearing what I consider digital distortion in addition to the "static" that's being identified here.

It hasn't mattered which digital audio output I've used (HDMI or optical) when run into my Denon AV receiver. It could be the videos themselves, but I wanted to at least mention it here.
0 Kudos
mattkingusa
Level 7

Popping sounds

I am running Windows XP in Virtualbox OSE on Mandriva Linux 2009.0 PWP and am getting popping sounds as well. It looks like this isn't a Roku issue as much as a netflix one. The movie I am watching is Underdog.

Peace, I'm out.
0 Kudos
ronh36
Level 7

Don't yet know if my issue is related to this thread, but I replaced my old Roku with a Roku XD a few days ago and started noticing an aperiodic popping noise immediately. The Roku is on wireless, all I changed in my system was the Roku and its power supply. All that is connected to the Roku is the power supply and an HDMI cable to my TV, and the audio out from the TV is connected to my receiver. I found that I was getting the popping noise on my receiver even with the TV turned off, and it went away when I disconnected the Roku power supply. I assume the Roku is isolated by a transformer, but I tried switching the polarity on the 110V AC to the Roku power supply in case there was a grounding issue. I still get a popping noise, but it's less frequent. Has anyone else had this problem?
0 Kudos
tedster98
Level 7

I'm getting a popping noise on my new Roku when I use an HDMI cable to my Pansonic Viera TV. If I use a composite cable there is no noise. Naturally I would like to use 1080p or 720. Is there a fix? I am using a wifi set up.
0 Kudos