Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
microlady
Level 7

connection

Hi, Jeff

I guess you could say my Internet connection is both but the router and the Roku box operate as wireless on my network.

My connection is wireless. I have a cable modem hooked up to a wireless router and then I have 1 PC using an ethernet cable, a second PC in another room using a wireless PCI card, and the Roku box in the same room as the router and set up using the wireless system.

I have the Roku box using composite output to the analog TV and the sound is coming from the TV speakers. I don't know if it is popping or not but my husband and I both noticed the audio goes away very briefly, kind of like clipping. I think popping may describe it also..the audio is doing along okay then it drops a few words then continues, then drops. Kind of irritating so that tells you how much it is dropping.....certainly noticeable.

Hope this helps.
Original Roku Model N1000,bought 2008 (2014 still works perfectly)
2014 new owner of Roku 3500 (HDMI) streaming stick
2016 new owner of Roku 3600 (HDMI) streaming stick
0 Kudos
jj9126
Level 7

Re: Audio Popping while watching movie

Just unboxed my player today, same issue. Occurs both when hooked directly to the television or through my receiver. All/most content is effected with popping occurring every 10-15 seconds.

Like most, using WI-FI...Netgear Rangemax Wireless-G router.
0 Kudos
TaylorH
Level 7

We have identified what we think is the cause of this issue. We are beta testing a solution for it now. We hope to release it in a small number of weeks.
Former Roku employee
0 Kudos
The_Old_Man
Level 7

"RokuTaylor" wrote:
We have identified what we think is the cause of this issue. We are beta testing a solution for it now. We hope to release it in a small number of weeks.

I hope so, I've had it since I got the box--about two months ago.
0 Kudos
rinthos
Level 7

Roku Taylor wrote:

Great news! Appreciate the effort on this! Smiley Happy

Just an fyi...If it's wireless driver/firmware related please make sure WPA2 (AES) connection performance doesn't suffer as a result of the fix.
I'm sure you're testing for it but i'm just a bit paranoid hehe (been through something similar before on *nix desktops).

Thanks again for addressing this issue!
0 Kudos
RokuJamesL
Level 7

If there is anyone who is experiencing the audio popping issue and who is NOT already in the beta program, if you'd like to try out the software that has the fix for this issue, please send me a PM with the following:

your name
your e-mail address
your Roku Player serial number
description of how audio is being routed from your Roku Player (direct to TV? through AV receiver? HDMI or analog cable?)

Note that the build with the fix is essentially 1.5 b901, which we are in the process of rolling out to all users, along with the audio popping fix. If you are already on build 1.5 b901 and are not experiencing the audio popping issue, there is no benefit to getting this test build.
0 Kudos
microlady
Level 7

What pops?

Just a thought but maybe if some of those who are having a popping problem could list a few movies or shows where it was happening (unless it is happening on everything)...there could be a hint there.

I only had audio problems with Starz movies. Other instant movies and instant TV shows are fine. I don't remember the movies I saw that I gave up on. I have the beta fix and did see a Starz movie yesterday with no problem.

But I would like to try watching some movies or shows where there has been a bad problem so I can see if I detect the same thing and can report it good or bad.

Anyway, it's just a thought. Always looking for ways of finding clues to box behavior. So if anyone wants to list some Instant stuff...I will check back and download some of it. Especially if there is one particular ..say..movie..it just does it constantly right from the beginning.

By the way...I use analog connections and not HD..do I would have to try something that is not HD to see how the audio is. I notice some people have a problem with HD audio. Should narrow down what the popping is on...HD or analog...or both?
Original Roku Model N1000,bought 2008 (2014 still works perfectly)
2014 new owner of Roku 3500 (HDMI) streaming stick
2016 new owner of Roku 3600 (HDMI) streaming stick
0 Kudos
xargs
Level 7

My test movie for popping is The Fifth Element. During the first 30 seconds (when the Columbia logo is showing), you'll hear all kinds of popping when using Wi-Fi. The popping goes away when using Ethernet. However, I hear some popping over Ethernet with the 1.5 firmware, though it's still much less than Wi-Fi.
0 Kudos
RokuJamesL
Level 7

We have fix for this issue that we expect to release soon. It's currently in beta testing but the results have been pretty conclusive and we are confident this long standing issue has been eliminated.
0 Kudos
calicommando
Level 7

"RokuJamesL" wrote:
We have fix for this issue that we expect to release soon. It's currently in beta testing but the results have been pretty conclusive and we are confident this long standing issue has been eliminated.

Should this fix be in the 1.5 firmware? I updated to 1.5 today and I'm still having the issue. Didn't know if there was another fix still coming. . .
0 Kudos