Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Grandpa
Level 7

Re: Audio Popping while watching movie

This “poppingâ€
0 Kudos
kringles
Level 7

'Popping' here also, only on wireless via the Roku internal wireless. Ethernet connection ok. Roku connected directly to Sony 32' flat screen TV via composite connection, no receiver involved. Have a 100+ foot bright blue Cat5e wire snaking through the house, hopefully only temporary. Roku please put this high on the 'bug' fix priority list.

best regards
0 Kudos
DoomsDay
Level 7

Ya know, Since it seems folks have narrowed it down to wireless causing the popping sound, Why don't we take it a little bit further and see if we can narrow it down to maybe something in the wireless settings.
Like I said, I haven't had the issue at all with mine over wireless (with 2 different routers) so maybe folks experiencing the issue can post their wireless setup.

On mine, I am using WEP 64bit encryption with QOS on the router turned off.
WiFi protection is off and WISH is enabled. I do have my network locked down to mac adress but I had it both ways and never saw an issue. On Channel bandwidth I have it set to auto 20/40 mhz and Transmission Rate set to Best.

Hope this helps....
0 Kudos
rbenjamin
Level 7

For what it's worth, I have wireless with no popping sounds. I have a Netgear 802.11 pre-n router. I have 5.6ghz phones and not much bluetooth stuff in my home. I have the box connected via HDMI and toslink to my Onkyo receiver and then HDMI to my Samsung plasma. I always get 4 dots and have no complaints.
Roku Netflix Box Order No. 16** - Connected over WiFi getting 16-18 mbps per Netflix debug screen - Video via component video cable and audio via Toslink cable to 50" Plasma
0 Kudos
BillyMM
Level 7

So, did the software update help anyone that was experiencing the audio popping noises?

I now have the current software update on my player, and I was hoping that it would eliminate the noises. It hasn't... at least for my player.

Did it resolve the issue for anyone else that had it? If not, has anyone heard anything recently about a possible fix for this issue?

Still hoping, since I love this box otherwise!
0 Kudos
xargs
Level 7

No, it didn't fix the popping.
0 Kudos
DaveMcLain
Level 7

I have the newest software on my Roku box and once in a while I hear this noise which sounds like a vinyl record. It's way below the audio and probably generally masked most of the time. It almost sounds like some sort of clocking problem to me where it re-clocks the audio once in a while and it gives it a little bit of DC bias or a momentary square wave. It's weird how it seems to be at a really low level and it's certainly not full scale. I hear it on the analog or digital Toslink outputs. I wonder if it's an artifact in the encoding of some movies. I should get it to do it and then rewind to see if it does it in the same spot every time, then we would know the source of the problem.

I'll give that a try.
Roku 3 Wired Connection
Roku2 XS Ser # 13A16Y000098 2.4Ghz Wireless Connection
Linksys E3000 router DD-WRT SVN 14929
Connected via HDMI to Hitachi LE55U516 TV and Yamaha RX-A3050
Cable Internet Connection 150Mbs
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 12

I too have Wifi and have popping

It seems to happen a lot when there's an intense soundtrack going along with a movie.. Sometimes it seems to go away over time..

Is there any definitive solution from Roku yet? Any closer to a firmware upgrade that'll fix this?

I really don't want to add anymore network devices to my wireless network- I already have a WAP plugged into a Vonage router and I don't want to add yet another step between the Roku box and the internet..

Thanks.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
cymen
Level 7

I'm using ethernet (wired) and observe that about 2-3x per movie there seems to be a drop of the audio. I use a Onkyo receiver with TOSlink connected directly to the Roku Player. There is no pop but a drop of audio. The image isn't affected. I'm on a 25 Mb/10 Mb connection.
0 Kudos
joendsu
Level 7

Audio Snaps/Pops

I have only been using the Roku player for a few months, but have noticed a lot of snaps/pops in the audio when watching movies. At first I just thought it was in the movies I was watching. In a movie I watched recently the audio pops were very noticeable. I'm using a wireless connection. From reading this entire thread, many other people are having this issue and Roku has not given any solutions. Is there any new learning on this from Roku? Will the upcoming firmware release address this - or is it a hardware or environment issue?
0 Kudos