Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BillyMM
Level 7

Re: Audio Popping while watching movie

I'm in the hopes that this issue is being addressed, as I have been keeping up with it on these forums and haven't posted until now. I have the audio popping issue occurring as well. I've noticed the discussion hasn't really continued, so I thought I'd update it with my situation.

I'm connecting via wireless (g) to a Linksys WRV54G router. My NP is connected to my TV via HDMI cable. My NP is connected to my Yamaha RX-V2095 A/V receiver using the digital optical cable. The audio popping occurs while watching all material that I've watched so far using the NP. I don't have the ability to connect using a wired connection, as my router is on the other side of the house. I always get 4 star connections and my wireless connection always shows as 'excellent' on the NP. I don't have any audio popping sounds when only playing through the TV's speakers from the HDMI cable. The popping varies in intensity and isn't in a consistent spot during playback if I rewind the movie.

Please let me know if I can provide any other information. Thanks.
0 Kudos
Ruztew
Level 7

Roku, are you looking into this issue?????

Wireless connection causes popping in the audio stream.
0 Kudos
xtalman
Level 7

I set up a Roku NP for my mother this weekend. I notice a lot of "static" during some of the movies, seems totally random. Rewinding and playing again usually clears up the problem. She only has a 1.5 Mbps DSL connection.
0 Kudos
RokuJamesL
Level 7

Folks, much apologies for the lack of updates up to now. We have indeed been investigating this issue, and the feedback that people have posted in this thread has been very helpful. Unfortunately, we don't have a solution for this issue yet, but when we have more information on a potential fix, we will post the details here as soon as we can.
0 Kudos
Grandpa
Level 7

Has anyone looked into the possibility that 2.4 GHz cordless phones, in proximity to the router or Roku box, may be causing this problem?
0 Kudos
horizon
Level 7

"Grandpa" wrote:
Has anyone looked into the possibility that 2.4 GHz cordless phones, in proximity to the router or Roku box, may be causing this problem?

Interesting, that thought had not occurred to me. If memory serves me correctly, a 2.4Ghz phone will only transmit when ringing, or when off hook. In any case, in our environment we no longer have a 2.4Ghz phone in the house - I replaced our single 2.4 Ghz handset with a DECT device around 8 months ago. So other than the WiFi, there are no other 2.4 Ghz signal sources nearby.

Cheers,

-Graham
Roku DVP, Roku M1000 and M500 3.0.52 Beta, Sangean WFR-20, NSLU2 Unslung NAS + Twonky (WAV Library)
0 Kudos
xargs
Level 7

"Grandpa" wrote:

I don't have a 2.4 GHz cordless phone, so I can rule that out.
0 Kudos
elorimer
Level 7

"Grandpa" wrote:

Yes, or bluetooth, or wireless keyboards & mice, wireless thermostats, wireless water and electric meters, wireless game controllers (PS2), RF remotes?

Or smartphones? When I have my MDA on my desk my computer's wired speakers buzz and pop randomly, and frequently.
0 Kudos
DoomsDay
Level 7

Well, I dont know if this will help you but I have been running the roku box for about 1 1/2 weeks completely on wireless and have not heard any popping noise at all. Only 2.4ghz device in the house is the router itself.
My setup is as follows:
Roku box connected via component cables directly to my TV
Sound from Roku box connected via RCA cables directly to my Pioneer VSX-5600 AV unit (around 15+ years old).
The Roku Box is sitting on top of a VCR that is powered on and to the left of the boxis a Wii and My AV unit with a DVD player setting on top of it. To the right of the Roku box is my center channel and to the right of that is my tivo unit. All of this is sitting ontop of my Mitsubishi 65 inch widescreen HDTV.
(Just noting what all is around the box that could possibly cause any interference)

Network connection for the roku: Running 802.11G/N using WEP 64bit security on a D-Link DIR655 Extreme wireless N router. (Note the router is set to that, but N is unavailable due to using WEP)

My sound has been crystal clear albeit LOW. I do have to turn the sound up higher to equal the sound quality from watching directv or dvd. Anyways, I hope that information can be of some use for others having the popping sounds via wireless.
0 Kudos
xargs
Level 7

I called Roku on the 3rd and described the popping; they immediately suggested an RMA. I received my new unit today, and it still pops (and still has stray pixels on the bottom of the screen). Excellent customer service from Roku, but the problem doesn't appear to be fixed yet.
0 Kudos