Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wideasleep1
Level 7

Re: Audio Popping while watching movie

"xargs" wrote:
As I've posted above, I have severe popping, and I'm using Wi-Fi. Ethernet isn't an option where the Roku is located. However, I have a Squeezebox sitting right next to my Roku. It's using Wi-Fi, but it has a bridging feature which lets you plug another Ethernet device into it, and that device can then "ride along" on the Squeezebox's Wi-Fi.

I connected my Roku to the Squeezebox with a short Ethernet cable and enabled bridging on the Squeezebox. I reconfigured the Roku for a wired connection, and it came right up.

The popping is gone.

So it's not Wi-Fi per se -- I'm still streaming the Roku's content over Wi-Fi -- but the Roku's Wi-Fi hardware does appear to be the source of the audio popping.

This is actually good news! It means it can be reproduced and fixed.
Then as it was, then again it will be
An' though the course may change sometimes,
rivers always reach the sea

M1000x2,M2000,Twonky 4.3.3 RC1 beta on LinkStation HGLAN400gig,Buffalo whr-g54s on DD-WRTfirmware-luv'in it!
0 Kudos
moonmoon
Level 7

Great news. Smiley Very Happy
0 Kudos
wideasleep1
Level 7

^^^spam^^^

BTW, the 6th spam they've posted and they're still a member?
Then as it was, then again it will be
An' though the course may change sometimes,
rivers always reach the sea

M1000x2,M2000,Twonky 4.3.3 RC1 beta on LinkStation HGLAN400gig,Buffalo whr-g54s on DD-WRTfirmware-luv'in it!
0 Kudos
Darco1
Level 7

Any news on this?
The popping/crackle noise is pretty bad for me on all movies.
Confirmed it is the wireless only, but this compromises the usability.
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Level 8

"wideasleep1" wrote:
^^^spam^^^

Sorry about that. He's now taken care of.
0 Kudos
horizon
Level 7

Popping is related to use of internal wireless capability

"xargs" wrote:
As I've posted above, I have severe popping, and I'm using Wi-Fi. Ethernet isn't an option where the Roku is located. However, I have a Squeezebox sitting right next to my Roku. It's using Wi-Fi, but it has a bridging feature which lets you plug another Ethernet device into it, and that device can then "ride along" on the Squeezebox's Wi-Fi.

I connected my Roku to the Squeezebox with a short Ethernet cable and enabled bridging on the Squeezebox. I reconfigured the Roku for a wired connection, and it came right up.

The popping is gone.

So it's not Wi-Fi per se -- I'm still streaming the Roku's content over Wi-Fi -- but the Roku's Wi-Fi hardware does appear to be the source of the audio popping.

Confirmed: Snap, Crackle and Pop only occurs when using internal Wireless capability
xargs good work, I have also confirmed your observation. I ran a wired connection from the Netflix box to an external 11g wireless gaming adapter (Linksys WGA54AG). I performed a direct comparison between internal Wireless and Wired-to-WGA54AG (this setup is essentially 'external wireless'). The popping was present when the internal Wireless connection was selected, but when not the Wired connection was selected.
Roku DVP, Roku M1000 and M500 3.0.52 Beta, Sangean WFR-20, NSLU2 Unslung NAS + Twonky (WAV Library)
0 Kudos
Ruztew
Level 7

Glad to see Roku show up to address our main issue....

"RokuLyndon" wrote:
"wideasleep1" wrote:
^^^spam^^^

I don't know about everyone else, but the annoying popping issue (when connected via wireless?) was nothing compared the super annoying guy that posted 6 spam messages.

Glad to see Roku jump right on the spam poster and ignore the popping problem.
0 Kudos
Darco1
Level 7

Re: Glad to see Roku show up to address our main issue....

"Ruztew" wrote:
"RokuLyndon" wrote:
"wideasleep1" wrote:
^^^spam^^^

I don't know about everyone else, but the annoying popping issue (when connected via wireless?) was nothing compared the super annoying guy that posted 6 spam messages.

Glad to see Roku jump right on the spam poster and ignore the popping problem.

Ya, he was unbearable during the movies.

Now, that he is no longer interfering with the movies, can we get back to the issue at hand?
Should I start testing other brand of routers?
Should I look for a specific router setting in dd-wrt?
Should I forget about wireless all together?
My only reason for the box was the wireless and the portability.
Netflix plays just fine streaming to my HTPC.
0 Kudos
MCWHAMMER
Level 7

I simply can't watch anything on the player until a solution is found for the Wifi static issues, if that's what the problem is. Sounds like we need to be sent new boxes doesn't it? I think we got the buggy ones.
http://www.listia.com/?r=40548 - The Free eBay
http://twitter.com/MattChance
0 Kudos
horizon
Level 7

I did spend some time over the weekend trying to isolate the problem, mainly to determine if the RF bleedover is internal, or external to the box. I added a Radio Shack snap together ferrite choke to the power cable, and alternated audio connections between HDMI and analog. In all cases the scratchy popping was present (as I have previously described). Now, I agree a ferrite choke is not a very good 2.4Ghz low pass filter - but then again I am not planning to crack the box and start soldering!

My rough conclusion - this problem probably originates internally within my Netflix box.
Roku DVP, Roku M1000 and M500 3.0.52 Beta, Sangean WFR-20, NSLU2 Unslung NAS + Twonky (WAV Library)
0 Kudos