Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
horizon
Level 7

Re: Audio Popping while watching movie

1. Does this happen with any movie you watch or specific titles?
The popping occurs in most movies that I watch. It is especially noticeable in the quiet sections. Movies that I have watched recently and noted the popping noise, Primer, Miss Marple. As a previous poster described, the noise is similar to the random clicks you might hear when listening to a dusty old vinyl record.

2. At what point do you hear popping? In the middle of movies? During menu transitions?
At various points during the whole movie. It is most noticeable in quiet sections of the movie. (The characteristic random pops and clicks that I am reporting occur during movie playback - I have not noticed them during the menu transitions). I have 4 dots quality during playback.

3. What make and model receiver are you connecting the box to?
Pioneer HTS-GS1 surround sound

4. Do you hear audio popping if audio from the box is connected directly to your TV?
Yes I do. The popping is not as noticeable when I listen to the TV audio, but is quite audible when I crank up the TV's volume in quiet sections. It should be noted that the popping is much more apparent when listening to the audio via the HTS-GS1; I suspect this may be because there is a high frequency component of the popping that is being enhanced by the HTS-GS1, but is lost in the TV's audio amp - speaker combo (which is more biased towards the mid-range ... there are no tweeters in the TV!).

5. What kind of audio cable are you using to connect the Netflix Player to the receiver? What kind of cable from the receiver to the TV?
Analog cable from Netflix player to HTS-GS1 surround sound. HDMI from Netflix player to TV.

*** UPDATE: The Netflix player is connected using its 11g wireless capability + 128bit WEP encryption. The router is a WRT54G Linksys box. ***
Roku DVP, Roku M1000 and M500 3.0.52 Beta, Sangean WFR-20, NSLU2 Unslung NAS + Twonky (WAV Library)
0 Kudos
dl
Level 7

AUDIO POPPING THROUGHOUT EVERY TITLE

"RokuJamesL" wrote:

1. Does this happen with any movie you watch or specific titles?
2. At what point do you hear popping? In the middle of movies? During menu transitions?
3. What make and model receiver are you connecting the box to?
4. Do you hear audio popping if audio from the box is connected directly to your TV?
5. What kind of audio cable are you using to connect the Netflix Player to the receiver? What kind of cable from the receiver to the TV?

1,2) As indicated in subject, audio popping occurs throughout every title. The one that compelled me to register and post here is: http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Chick_Core ... 4/70036428
Sometimes the popping seems to be correlated to high-energy audio passages--note the percussive attacks of the vibraphone mallets and staccato piano notes in the above title.

3,5) My box audio is connected via short stereo RCA-to-RCA to a line-level mixer that buffers its signal into my studio sound system, ending at a Carver 300 watt power amp.

4,5) I don't have a TV to connect the box to, I view on a video monitor, which the box drives directly via a composite video cable to an input selector.

Note: my DSL connection maintains 5+ Mbps, quality is always 4 dots, video quality is excellent.

The popping simply ruins the experience, though, PLEASE fix it. If not fixed this could compel me to return my box.

--

UPDATE: Following a hunch, I connected the Roku box, which was operating in wireless mode, via wired ethernet to another wifi transceiver in the same room, which is operating in 802.11g WDS remote bridge mode to service another older machine that lacks wifi. NO AUDIO POPPING! Apparently the popping is due to the Roku box's wifi operation...
0 Kudos
shornby
Level 7

Popping noise during Roku Playback

I'm getting the same issue.

Also, it's random. This should be an important clue.

I proved it by playing the exact same area that had a series of pops and heard nothing after a second pass. I don't hear it in the menu area, so I expect it's related to Mpeg audio decoding.

Honestly we can all go nuts listing our respective configurations, but I think it's pretty clear that this is an annoyance that is occurring across the board.

Most likely it will be fixed in a firmware update, but:

IT WOULD BE NICE IF ROKU CHIMED IN AT SOME POINT... It is their forum!

Lastly - For early adopters of Roku devices - did you have this issue? I'm wondering if the recent firmware update from ROKU fixed a few issues but caused this problem.

My Specs:
ROKU connected via HDMI to Sony 1100 Receiver, connecting via HDMI to Philips LCD HDTV. Haven't tried other types of audio output.

Regards,

Steve
0 Kudos
MCWHAMMER
Level 7

Further information about the bug you are diligently working to fix :roll::

As others have stated, it is completely random. I tried rewinding and replaying the same 15 seconds of video to see if the pop turned up in the same place every time. I found that each time I replayed the section, the pop moved ahead in time a few seconds randomly, but just as loud.

This bug occurs no matter what type of cable you use. I am on a wireless connection of 4 dot quality, and have went from HDMI to Composite to Component cables. All of the cables produce the sound, and even if I just route to my TV speakers, the POP CRACKLE is there - I am pulling my hair out. All of the other devices in the room on Wireless connections have no problems whatsoever like this... Crank up my PS3 with a Blu-ray movie and you'll hear no audio popping.

I also hear the popping (As has been said by previous posters) most frequently during quiet parts, simply because it is more noticeable and jarring in those sections of movies/tv shows... it is always there though - taunting me and laughing because I paid $99 for this thing. Can't believe Roku staff have completely ignored this thread... talk about customer service.
http://www.listia.com/?r=40548 - The Free eBay
http://twitter.com/MattChance
0 Kudos
horizon
Level 7

I think that dl made an interesting observation by determining that the popping is related to the use of the wireless connection. It would certainly seem worth exploring this possibility. The problem sounds similar in nature to reports of pops and crackles in the audio stages of certain other brands of internet radio (not Roku Smiley Wink) that support 11b/g wireless connectivity.

I have not verified dl's observation, but would be happy to do so if a Roku engineer requested some feedback with a "wireless vs. wired" comparison in mind.
Roku DVP, Roku M1000 and M500 3.0.52 Beta, Sangean WFR-20, NSLU2 Unslung NAS + Twonky (WAV Library)
0 Kudos
BreaMark
Level 7

Wired versus Wireless

I was watching a movie with a wired connection and had NO popping sounds. The connection showed 2 stars on the quality. Towards the end of the movie I switched over to wireless which showed 4 stars on quality and that's when the popping started. It's about every 10 seconds or so. I'm wired directly into a TV with the 3 cable connection.

Hope this helps.

Mark in Brea
0 Kudos
MCWHAMMER
Level 7

Re: Wired versus Wireless

"BreaMark" wrote:
I was watching a movie with a wired connection and had NO popping sounds. The connection showed 2 stars on the quality. Towards the end of the movie I switched over to wireless which showed 4 stars on quality and that's when the popping started. It's about every 10 seconds or so. I'm wired directly into a TV with the 3 cable connection.

Hope this helps.

Mark in Brea

Even if Roku were to claim that Wifi connections will cause popping audio, that is not good enough. They sold a product meant to be used with wireless connections, so I shouldn't have any problems doing that. Especially since I have never had a problem with any of the other Wirelessly connected devices in my home.

Wifi is not the cause for me, and others I have conversed with via PM. The box has a bug.
http://www.listia.com/?r=40548 - The Free eBay
http://twitter.com/MattChance
0 Kudos
RJP
Level 7

I have two Roku player boxes, both with wired hi speed (8 Mbps down) internet connections. One box feeds both video & audio via HDMI and uses the TV (32" 720p LCD) for audio, the other box feeds video via HDMI to the TV (47" 1080p LCD) and audio via digital optical cable to the amp. I've used both systems and have yet to have any popping and/or audio/sync problems.

This leads me to believe popping problems are WiFi related.

About a year ago I was having strange WiFi problems connecting some device to my home network. So I just bailed on wireless thing, figuring it wasn't ready for prime time. I now have 20 wired internet connections available (5 port ethernet switches in 4 rooms) and connect everything - Roku players, game consoles, Hi Def DVD players, printers, NAS units, computers - via wired connections. Everything works perfectly all the time. I've had zero problems with anything since I cut wireless out of the loop.
0 Kudos
Grandpa
Level 7

I should be getting my unit tomorrow. Am I correct that EVERYONE that is using a wireless connection is having this popping (clicking) problem?

Is anyone using a wireless connection and NOT having the problem?
0 Kudos
xargs
Level 7

As I've posted above, I have severe popping, and I'm using Wi-Fi. Ethernet isn't an option where the Roku is located. However, I have a Squeezebox sitting right next to my Roku. It's using Wi-Fi, but it has a bridging feature which lets you plug another Ethernet device into it, and that device can then "ride along" on the Squeezebox's Wi-Fi.

I connected my Roku to the Squeezebox with a short Ethernet cable and enabled bridging on the Squeezebox. I reconfigured the Roku for a wired connection, and it came right up.

The popping is gone.

So it's not Wi-Fi per se -- I'm still streaming the Roku's content over Wi-Fi -- but the Roku's Wi-Fi hardware does appear to be the source of the audio popping.
0 Kudos