Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MCWHAMMER
Level 7

Re: Audio Popping while watching movie

FULL DETAILS OF SETUP, PER ROKU REQUEST:
1) My problem happens with all of the movies I have watched. They have ranged from old (Xanadu) to new (Teeth) and even TV shows like Painkiller Jane (New-ish).
2) I hear the popping during the entire movie, often every ten seconds, more or less. The pop noise is at the same audio level as the movie's regular soundtrack, thus it can really become annoying during quiet scenes.
3) I am using a Durabrand 80-Watt Power handling 5.1 Home Theater Speaker System, HT-3917
4) The audio does not pop at all, to my knowledge, when I directly use the TV's speakers.
5) My receiver connects directly to my TV via composite Red and White cables. My Roku box connects to my TV via HDMI, and all sound from the TV's INPUTS are OUTPUT via the 5.1 Surround speaker system. When I mute the 5.1, and just output via the TV speakers, I hear no popping.
http://www.listia.com/?r=40548 - The Free eBay
http://twitter.com/MattChance
0 Kudos
Ruztew
Level 7

why it probably appears with a receiver

Someone commented that they didn't hear the popping with the audio straight into a TV versus into the receiver.

I imagine that the receivers high-power amplifier is more sensitive to the issue and then the slight disruption in the audio signal causes the popping noise. This could also be made worse the by the DSP processing that most receivers do.

The issue needs to be addressed. I was hoping to hear something from someone at Roku on this issue
0 Kudos
xargs
Level 7

I just spoke to another Roku player user who's not on the forum and asked him to play The Fifth Element and listen for popping during the first 30 seconds. He said it sounded like a scratched record.

As another experiment, I tried forcing my stream to 1.0 Mbps (I'm normally 2.2) and this had no effect on the popping.
0 Kudos
RokuJamesL
Level 7

Okay folks, obviously there seems to be an issue here that needs investigation. If I'm not mistaken, this seems to be an issue when routing audio through an AV receiver, regardless of cable type (HDMI, optical, analog). If anyone is hearing audio popping with the box audio going directly into a TV (no receiver in your setup), please post the details of that scenario. We want to know about that as well.

For those of you running audio through a receiver or some other audio decoding device between the box and the TV, we need to know some specific information in order to effectively investigate this:

1. Does this happen with any movie you watch or specific titles?
2. At what point do you hear popping? In the middle of movies? During menu transitions?
3. What make and model receiver are you connecting the box to?
4. Do you hear audio popping if audio from the box is connected directly to your TV?
5. What kind of audio cable are you using to connect the Netflix Player to the receiver? What kind of cable from the receiver to the TV?

Please be as detailed as possible when describing how your hardware is set up. That will help us determine if a particular configuration is more problematic than others. For the folks who have already posted your details, thank you. For folks who posted but did not include all the information I listed above, please update your post to include all the info requested.

Unfortunately, I can't say when we will be able to fix this issue. We'll need to find a reproducible case in-house first. We'll post updates to keep folks informed when we have news on anything significant.
0 Kudos
MCWHAMMER
Level 7

"RokuJamesL" wrote:
Unfortunately, I can't say when we will be able to fix this issue. We'll need to find a reproducible case in-house first. We'll post updates to keep folks informed when we have news on anything significant.

Thanks for the response James. I was worried that our thread was going unnoticed. I just updated my post (A couple posts above this one), in big bold type, answering all of your questions in detail. The issue has significantly affected my Roku box use, because it is a real chore going into my TV's menus to un-mute the TV, muting my surround sound, then adjusting the volume just to get the Roku box to work right. Then, you have to reswitch all of the settings when you want to do something else.

So, help with this issue would be very much appreciate.
0 Kudos
xargs
Level 7

"RokuJamesL" wrote:
If anyone is hearing audio popping with the box audio going directly into a TV (no receiver in your setup), please post the details of that scenario. We want to know about that as well.

I'm experiencing popping through my preamp/amp, but I just tested the above scenario and can rule it out as a solution. I connected my Roku player directly to my TV using the cable that came with the player (composite video and analog audio) and disconnected the cables to my preamp.

My test movie is The Fifth Element which pops very frequently and very noticeably during the first 15 seconds during the silence of the Columbia logo. The pops are just as bad with the direct-to-TV cable. The cable is running out of the front of my cabinet to the front of my TV, so it does not cross any other cables or come in contact with any other equipment.

The pops continue through the movie, though they are somewhat less noticeable since there is typically some other sound present. I don't think I've found any program that doesn't have some degree of popping.

I also noticed that the pops are "stereo" and come from the left and right channels at different times.
0 Kudos
Ruztew
Level 7

Here's my details

1. Does this happen with any movie you watch or specific titles?
I believe I have heard popping in mostly everything, it is definitely more noticeable during quiet scenes. The 5th Element beginning sequence has it very audible. I've never heard it during "The Office" episodes, though not as noticeable.

2. At what point do you hear popping? In the middle of movies? During menu transitions?
Through-out the whole movie, more notable during the beginning (probably because its quieter)

3. What make and model receiver are you connecting the box to?
Pioneer VSX-1015, I have tried changing the process from PL2 to Stereo and still experience the issue

4. Do you hear audio popping if audio from the box is connected directly to your TV?
Have not tried this yet, will try when I get back home.

5. What kind of audio cable are you using to connect the Netflix Player to the receiver? What kind of cable from the receiver to the TV?
I have optical to the receiver, I also used the standard RCA (red/white) audio cables that came with the player and the pops are still there.
0 Kudos
Ruztew
Level 7

ROKU, any ideas?

Its been almost a week, Roku, do you have any inputs on the issues several of us are experiencing?
0 Kudos
MCWHAMMER
Level 7

Re: ROKU, any ideas?

"Ruztew" wrote:
Its been almost a week, Roku, do you have any inputs on the issues several of us are experiencing?

Was wondering this too, but I get tired of repeating myself. I tried a different setup last night with no success, and it just made the situation worse. I am so aggravated with this, and the popping is now present even when running through HDMI straight to the TV speakers... it's quiet, and less frequent, but it's there. Definitely a bug with either the box or software. Doesn't matter what show or movie you watch, they all pop randomly.
0 Kudos
langj
Level 7

popping sounds during menu

I do not hear popping sounds on my box during movies.
However, I have been hearing them every once in a while when looking for movies in the menu. Clicking sounds are turned on. While hearing the click click click sound while looking for movies all of a sudden I will get a loud pop that makes me fly right out of my seat.

Hooked up with HDMI to magnavox TV for Video
Audio through optical to Pioneer 5.1 receiver vsx-815 to bose speaker system non-powered sub so front speakers are wired to sub.
0 Kudos