Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tedster98
Level 7

Re: Audio Popping while watching movie

I don't know if was the 2.9 update I received today or the new HDMI cable I swapped out, but the popping has apparently gone away for now. I'm keeping my fingers crossed because I really like this Roku device. I might get another.
0 Kudos
ronh36
Level 7

I did the 2.9 update last night, didn't fix my problem. I've run out of troubleshooting ideas, so I will likely return the box tomorrow.
0 Kudos
ronh36
Level 7

I may have figured out my problem. I tried unplugging the HDMI cable from my Roku XD and still got the popping sound on my audio receiver with the TV turned off. Someone suggested it might be an RF interference issue. That made sense because the new Roku is sitting on top of my audio receiver, and the difference between my old Roku and the new Roku XD is the new box has wireless-n. My router is wireless-g, but if the Roku XD is periodically looking for a wireless-n router and presumably putting out more power or operating at 5 GHz instead of 2.4 GHz briefly, that could explain it. I moved the Roku XD to a different spot and I'm not getting the popping noise.
0 Kudos
ronh36
Level 7

I definitely solved my audio popping sound by moving my Roku XD a few feet away from my audio receiver, but I was still interested in the problem.

I borrowed a 6 GHz FieldFox handheld spectrum analyzer to see what the XD was broadcasting. First I looked from 2.4 to 2.5 GHz with the SA antenna about 1 foot away from the XD and about 8 feet away from my wireless-g router, 0 dB attenuation, default bandwidth. With the XD powered down, I got activity at 2.437 GHz (channel 6) at about -40 dBm, which should be my router since it was the only 2.4 GHz source in the house at the time (computers turned off.) With the XD on standby the level was the same, but with occasional spikes at -10 dBm at 2.442 GHz (channel 7.) With the XD streaming video the level was about -30 dBm, again with occasional spikes at -10 dBm at 2.442 GHz. I saw no activity from 4.91 to 5.845 GHz.
0 Kudos
SteveStPaul
Level 7

I regularly hear electronic pops while watching programming through my Roku Ultra which seems to be proportional to the volume level my at which my receiver is playing.  I have a PS4, Xfinity, DVD player, and my Roku running through my tv.  The tv runs an optic line as my audio return to the receiver.  All components run HDMI to the TV.

The Roku is the only component which has demonstrated this POPPING effect.  I do get audio static occasionally while watching cable through my Xfinity box.  I've never had an audio problem thru my PS4 or DVD player.

Receiver:  Denon ARV-X4200W
Television:  Vizio M65-D0
Speakers:  7.1  // 7 = Klipsch Reference series // Cerwin Vega 400w powered subwoofer

Please help !!
#StopThePop
0 Kudos
Msrushing
Level 7

I also suffer from this popping issue. Using yamaha receiver rx-v679.
My ps3, xbox, and roku2 all work just fine.
I ran a support email with roku and they are blaming the receiver....
The receiver has been out for over a year and has all the latest firmware updates.
0 Kudos
Snacko
Level 7

Just got my very first streaming device a few days ago.  I got a Roku Streaming Stick+

And it Pops and crackles!!!  I haven't had a chance to use all of the apps.  I setup my Spectrum, Netflix, and Amazon Prime.  I was watching Ozark on Netflix and thought that popping was part of the show!  But it was annoying..  

So, I played that same scene in Ozark that had all the popping sounds from the Neflix app on my Tivo.  No Popping!!
Then, I spent the next few days trying to change some audio settings, HDMI ports, or whatever but the Roku still Pops.  

This is so annoying!!  Does Roku consider this a software bug?, hardware bug?, not a bug?  Will it be fixed?
I like the Netflix app better on the Roku.  It loads faster and has some extra features.  But that popping has got to GO!!
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 10

"Snacko" wrote:
Just got my very first streaming device a few days ago.  I got a Roku Streaming Stick+

And it Pops and crackles!!!  I haven't had a chance to use all of the apps.  I setup my Spectrum, Netflix, and Amazon Prime.  I was watching Ozark on Netflix and thought that popping was part of the show!  But it was annoying..  

So, I played that same scene in Ozark that had all the popping sounds from the Neflix app on my Tivo.  No Popping!!
Then, I spent the next few days trying to change some audio settings, HDMI ports, or whatever but the Roku still Pops.  

This is so annoying!!  Does Roku consider this a software bug?, hardware bug?, not a bug?  Will it be fixed?
I like the Netflix app better on the Roku.  It loads faster and has some extra features.  But that popping has got to GO!!

That's not standard behavior. Whether you simply have a defective device, or if something of an incompatibility exists between your Roku and your TV, don't know. If it's happening on all the apps so far, exchange it. If the new device exhibits the same behavior, and nothing else on the same input has the issue, there's some likely incompatibility with your TV.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
Snacko
Level 7

Thanks for your replies.  I've seen a lot of posts about this problem.  I am glad to hear it is not 'normal'.  
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Snacko 

Thanks for the note! Are you using an audio/video receiver of any sort, or is your device connected directly to your TV? If connected to a receiver, try connecting the device directly to the TV and see if the issue persists. If connected directly to your TV and the issue persists, have you tried connecting the device to another TV to see if you observe the same issue? 

If you're still running into the issue after testing, please PM me with your Roku account email address and the serial number of your device from Settings>System>About and I'll continue assisting you directly. 

Thanks! 
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos