Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CurtC
Level 7

Re: Audio Popping not fixed...

Amazon Prime app also pops.  Watching Bosch Season 4, 20+ pops in each episode.  

CAN YOU PLEASE FIX THIS?!?
0 Kudos
Dorian
Level 8

I realize this is an old thread, but it was the first result I saw after Googling "roku ultra crackling sound." I heard crackling/popping both during Netflix and even in the Roku OS menu sounds. I unplugged the Ultra for about 10 seconds and the problem was gone after restoring its power. I just bought it on October 31. It's the new Ultra (4660X2) and my serial is CK3925189639. I'm posting this because I'm not assuming my audio issue is permanently fixed; re-powering on the unit worked for me but I know other users have more complex issues with their various products and other equipment.
0 Kudos
Miubhi
Level 7

having the same issue. also now video drops and reconects. this is with all my apps, i switched to my HTPC running on same reciever and dont have any issues. Im concidering moving over to apple. this is my 3rd roku 4 to have these issues even after sending one in for repairs.

0 Kudos
Dorian
Level 8

Once again, I know the following won't fix everyone's issues but I recently discovered another temporary fix for the Ultra's crackling audio issue, which is an alternative to completely re-powering on/rebooting the Ultra:

I accidentally figured out that cycling through the different Volume Mode options while playing back media fixes the audio crackling/popping. I like to use the Leveling option because I live in an apartment and often watch videos or listen to music at night. I'm able to cycle back to the Leveling option and resume proper audio playback instead of having to give up using Leveling altogether.

Just a guess here, but it seems like whatever the latency is between the original audio track and the Volume Mode processing is too low, and eventually the crackling occurs. I've owned the Ultra for exactly a week now, and so far I'm not aware of any advanced setting to adjust the latency. It's likely hard-coded into the Roku OS or hardware-based.

0 Kudos
Roykinfin
Level 7

Having this popping issue on 2 2019 Roku Ultras. Dorian’s suggestion of cycling through the volume modes appears to at least temporarily fix the popping for me. Hopefully Roku can come up with a permanent fix.
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Dorian @Roykinfin 

Thanks for sharing your observations here. A few additional questions here to help clarify the behavior you are seeing, and gather additional details about your setup: 

- Which specific channels and content titles have you observed this issue on while watching? 

- Which 'Volume mode' are you using when you say you toggle it on/off/on to resolve the issue?

- If you turn the 'Volume Mode' feature off, does the popping stop? 

- Which specific model of Roku device are you experiencing this on? 

- Are you using any A/V receiver or soundbar in your setup? If so, what is the specific make/model? 

- In Settings>Audio>Audio mode, what option do you currently have selected when you observe the issue? Does changing this option to a specific setting other than 'Auto' resolve the issue? If so, which one? 

- Have you tried replacing the HDMI cable connecting your device to your TV/receiver? 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Roykinfin
Level 7

Hi Tanner! Thanks for looking at this. The popping has not reoccured since I cycled listening modes on both my Rokus. I answered your questions in case it helps. Will update if the issue reoccurs.

- Which specific channels and content titles have you observed this issue on while watching?

This occurred in Amazon Prime. I believe we also tried Netflix, we tried another app but I’m not exactly sure. Will post back updates if it reoccurs.

- Which 'Volume mode' are you using when you say you toggle it on/off/on to resolve the issue?

Leveling mode in both cases.

Cycling back through all options back to limited fixed it on both my devices and it has not reoccurred as of now. Will try just turning to off if it happens again.

I have experienced this on 2 Roku Ultras model 4660x.

- Are you using any A/V receiver or soundbar in your setup? If so, what is the specific make/model?

No receiver or sound bar.

- In Settings>Audio>Audio mode, what option do you currently have selected when you observe the issue? Does changing this option to a specific setting other than 'Auto' resolve the issue? If so, which one?

Audio mode is set to auto (Dolby Digital Plus), will try setting this manually if it reoccurs.

- Have you tried replacing the HDMI cable connecting your device to your TV/receiver?

I did try a different cable and HDMI port as well as unplugging the device from power but this did not resolve the popping.
0 Kudos
Dorian
Level 8

@RokuTannerD 

I've been busy with work but will answer what I can at the moment:

I definitely noticed Netflix audio popping and even the Roku OS menu sounds were distorted. I'm not 100% sure but I think I was watching the end of an Arrow episode on Netflix when I experienced an occurrence of the issue.

Leveling.

During playback, yes, but if you're referring to starting new media with it disabled, I haven't tried that yet.

4660X2

N/A

(Auto(Stereo)) - I haven't tried a specific setting yet.

Not yet. I only own one cable right now but as @Roykinfin mentioned, replacing the cable didn't work.

Is my theory that I mentioned in an above post about a default/forced latency value being too low a possibility? I have experience working with digital audio so that's where the theory comes from.

0 Kudos