Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CurtC
Level 7

Audio Popping not fixed...

"The issue was fixed in a previous build (you're replying to an older thread).

If you are still having an issue, please post your details in a new thread:

• Serial Number / DeviceID

• Model Number

• Make/Model of AVR (if applicable)"
YJ00F5106858
4660X - Roku Ultra, 8.0.1
No AVR, HDMI to TV, Optical to ZVOX sound bar
Roku 3 works without issue, Upgraded to Ultra with same equipment, Netflix on same shows has recurring audio popping
0 Kudos
10 Replies

Re: Audio Popping not fixed...

With 8.0.0 build 4143-04, my directly-connected Roku 3 4200X (1GU485041581) still has the occasional very short pop, but nothing like the frequent overt snap-crackle-pop of some of the 7.x versions. (It's as if they didn't fix the underlying problem, but only suppressed it, shoving it under the rug by fine tuning some timing issue.)
– –
Roku 3 (4200) purchased for $22.93 on clearance at Office Depot > Bleiden HDMI-to-Composite converter > old 4:3 CRT TV (now in another room, as I have acquired a modern LCD flat screen TV, March 2017)

R.I.P. Roku XD|S (2100), Feb 2011–Apr 2016
0 Kudos
CurtC
Level 7

C'mon guys, I have been a faithful customer for years with multiple Roku 3's, a streaming stick etc.  I have been touting Roku to friend's and family.  But this apparently long running audio popping issue is really shaking my faith.

Any diagnostic steps I can take, etc?
0 Kudos
CurtC
Level 7

Pinging on this.  I'd like to see some kind of progress on this.  $90 unit that pops during shows is unacceptable.
0 Kudos
airplay355
Level 7

This may be related? https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?t=109414

Seems like the optical might be causing problems...it is for me. 
0 Kudos
FemmeAppeal
Level 7

This seems to be the newest and most active post on the subject, but if I'm incorrect on that, please direct me as appropriate. 

I've had my first Roku (an Express) for a couple of weeks, and I'm pretty confident at this point that the reason I haven't been able to sleep past dawn the five days is because of this friggin' chirping sound. I am about to go ballistic. I work from home, often quite late at night, and being woken up at 6AM is not a good experience. Tack on that I was born with chronic insomnia and sleep apnea, and you can see why this has been a rough week. 

I haven't actually logged it, because I found this forum trying to Google for solutions when it made the noise again 20 minutes ago. But it seems to me that it's happening every few hours. Luckily it's inside my bedroom/office, and the smoke detector is in the hall, so I had no doubt where the noise was coming from when it started. All menu sounds on the Roku are disabled. There is no other setting I can see which could be causing this. And given the other threads on this subject it clearly seems to be an ongoing software problem. 

And no, I am not hooked up via optical cable. It's on HDMI - which I believe is the only way to hook up an Express. Please someone tell me the software people are working on this?! 
0 Kudos
MrDifficult
Level 7

Not sure what you mean. . . are you talking about when the TV is on?  Turn it off. . .   If, however, you think the Roku unit ITSELF is making a sound, think again.  They have no faculty in this regard.  These people are complaining about sound defects WHEN THEY ARE WATCHING, through the speakers.  Something else in the room is trying to get your attention.
0 Kudos
gcd48
Level 7

I have been experiencing audio pops/snaps on my Roku 2 for several months. It seems to only happen on Netflix, so I suppose it might be the Netflix app at fault. Some older posts on another thread said they were hearing it every 10 to 15 minutes, but on mine it is more like 10 times a minute or more. And here's the weird part: if I rewind and play a segment again, the pops come in exactly the same spots. On Amazon, which I watch a lot, I don't hear the problem. OK, so the Roku 2 is old, but come on, it's not that old. I read some posts about this problem on a closed thread from over a year ago. Come on, let's fix this.
0 Kudos
gcd48
Level 7

Oh, and I forgot to mention on my previous post, I don't hear any problem when I watch Netflix through my Sony Blu-Ray player.
0 Kudos
mkbnj
Level 7

This is definitely NOT fixed.  
Started occurring six months ago or so, and still hear loud high frequency noise, for about 3 seconds,  when loading a new program in amazon, netflix, hbo go
I am using optical out to my receiver (seems to be the problem area)
Roku system software is up to date
My Roku Ultra 

• Serial Number / DeviceID    YP002U432906 

• Model Number  4640X

• Make/Model of AVR (if applicable)  B&K AVR 307
0 Kudos