Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Lip sync audio and visual lagging

Jump to solution

Making suggested changes does not resolve serious lip sync error on new Roku Ultra running Amazon Prime video.  There is NO lip sync error on Amazon Prime with Series 5 Roamio OTA DVR fed via same Ethernet switch as Roku.

Are there Roku techs who monitor  the forum?

Old Grumpy Guy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Testing.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

RokuTannerD,

For me Audio leads Video enough to be incredibly annoying.  There are 41,376 combinations and permutations of settings involved in getting a dozen or so components to play well with one another.

Setup:
The home theater has been in place for years.  The Roku Ultra, brand new.  Plasma screen fed by Sony A/V Receiver, with inputs from a Tivo Series 5 Roamio OTA and the Roku.  The Roku is located about 20 feet away beside an Ethernet Switch being fed from Internet Service Provider's modem/hub/router box located upstairs.  One output from the Switch goes directly to the Tivo, located beneath the Receiver, a second to the nearby Roku, a third to another switch feeding a computer and printer in a different room..

The Tivo is connected to the input labeled SAT/CATV on the receiver via a short HDMI cable.  The Roku goes into VIDEO 1 on the receiver via HDMI.

I tried several changes to Roku Audio Mode as suggested online.  No joy.  Restarted the Roku.  No joy.  But that's when I confirmed Audio was leading.  The little R O K U letters were jumping up and down out of sync.  Video appeared to lag audio.

Next on the list was the A/V Receiver, which you mentioned in your post.  Lurking down in Audio Settings, A/V SYNC was set to 0.  Hmm,  Options include multiple +10 ms steps.  Trial-and-error led me to +60 ms.  Joy!  60/1,000 parts = 6/100 of a second.  That's not much.  But the brain isn't buying it when it's wrong.

Next, made sure the original system was still working.  Tivo live TV looked and sounded fine, as did the same video from Amazon Prime via Tivo.   More info if this solutions gets gone with the wind.

Film at 11

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Hi Tanner,

I appreciate the opportunity to solve my problems.  After upgrading to a 3910RW on 6/6/20, when I watch films on the Criterion Channel (but not Netflix), I began to see bad lip sync.  I tried removing the channel, restarting, and reinstalling, plus several of the user suggestions in this thread like changing the Roku settings for auto volume, stereo/PCM, and audio leveling, but nothing corrected the bad sync.

Previous to my player upgrade, I used a Roku LE 2400X.  All was well for several years.  But after subscribing to Criterion, Roku crashes + reboots would occur intermittently, taking 4-5 minutes to resume playing the film.  Examples: "I Know Where I'm Going," "Secret Sunshine," "La Chambre," "Suzan Pitt collection." 

Problem #1)  Roku invited me to upgrade to a 3910RW and I accepted.  (The player itself has 3910X printed on it.)   It is of course much faster in its navigating, but now there's the lip sync problem with the Criterion films I watch.  (Oddly, “Mulholland Drive” showed virtually no lip sync problem.)

Problem #2)  With the 3910RW, the former LE2400X crash+reboot problem transformed into the "Code 5" problem for which I've been corresponding with Criterion tech support for a month.  Instead of crashing+rebooting, a message comes up stating that this movie cannot be played; Code-5.  The audio continues but the video is grayed out, and an OK button immediately appears.  When I click OK, I'm taken back to Resume Watching, I click, it goes to where the film left off, and all is well.  That occurs in about 30+% of the Criterion films I watch and when it does, it’s usually just once, though a Code-5 has occurred twice during a film, the first time being within 12 minutes of the start (“Bonjour Tristesse” and “The Limey”).

1. Roku account email address - bo.cinesthetic.30.yx@gmail.com
  2. Roku device serial number from Settings>System>About - C53950482841 is printed on the player.
  3. Software version & build installed on your device - 9.3.0 build 4170-51
  4. Specific example of the channel(s) the issue occurred on, as well as an example content title.  - Criterion bad lip sync: "Adam Resurrected," "Experiment in Terror," "Nightfall."  
  5. Time/date you last observed the issue occurring. - Between 8 PM and midnight, various dates between 6/6 and 7/6 (for both the Code-5 and lip sync problems ).
  6. Make/model of TV that your Roku device in connected to. - Sony Bravia KLV-S32 A10.
  7. Are you using an A/V receiver of any kind, or is your Roku device connected directly to the TV? - Yes, both.  The composite cable goes into my Teac AGV6200, then to my loudspeakers.  The HDMI goes into my Sony Bravia KLV-S32 A10.  If I turn off my receiver and use the TV audio, the film's audio is in correct lip sync--but of course I lose the superior audio quality that I want through the loudspeakers.  I tried connecting three different composite cables into various receiver input jacks, but nothing corrected the lip sync problem.  Note: this set-up with the former LE2400X player yielded perfect stereo receiver loudspeaker sound and lip sync.  But I can't go back to the former player because of the Roku crash+reboot problem.

Thanks for your help for these two issues.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Re: Roku Express audio sync issues

Jump to solution

I have mine set to off and still no difference. Have tried different port. Deleting app and reinstalling. Unplugging. Restarting. Changing option off/in auto detect one audio on roku and tv. My roku is brand new.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Re: Audio Out of Sync - lagging

Jump to solution

@Pasg15 wrote:

On my Roku express the audio lags behind the visual on all channels. Sometimes it starts ok and there is no lagging. If I pause the program the lagging starts. This is becoming very annoying I can't see why this is happening.Would it be the strength of the internet speed into my home .I currently receive between 4.5 and 5mps. This happens on all channels.

Try settings> system.> system reset. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Didn’t work for me Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Some observations:

1. In lip-sync matters, audio most often precedes video.  It happens when video processing takes longer than audio processing.

2. It is extremely difficult to detect which is first when watching video without the occurrence of a specific audio/video event such as a closeup of a hand clap.

3. You report the audio and video on the HDMI cable are in sync, and that you're sending audio along a totally different path.  Those are clues.

4. You report using composite "video" to send "audio" to the A/V Receiver.  Do you mean Left & Right audio cables?

4. Forget what you had before.  You changed stuff.  Diagram your current system.  Try different options.  Try sending the TV audio output to the Teac.

5. It is literally impossible to troubleshoot relatively sophisticated audio/video installations (or anything else) by remote control.   It needs to be done onsite.  If this isn't your strength, bring in an A/V installation tech.

6. https://www.cnet.com/news/lip-sync-error-causes-solutions/

Good luck.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Huh. Yeah well. Just buy an Amazon Firestick 4K instead like I did. Problems solved. Roku sticks are **bleep**. This issue has been going on for years and they haven't managed to get a fix for it yet. Appalling. The problem is with Roku, not their customers! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

I changed to 720 and the problem is solved. No difference detected in the visuals so I'm happy, and it's a 10 year old tv. 

0 Kudos