Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
William2nd
Level 8

Re: Audio Out of Sync - lagging

Jump to solution

Similar issue: Brand new 65" Sony Bravia XBR-65X900H, Polk Audio Magnifi and Roku Ultra.  The audio lag was driving me nuts also as I was getting it across the board - until...I swapped out all HDMI Cables with Rocketfish 8K HDMI Ultra High Speed Certified cables and the issue no longer exists. 

Lesson learned - cables DO make a difference.

0 Kudos
Dezdon
Level 8

Jump to solution

William, I appreciate your response, and as a musician and audiophile, I agree 100% with you about the necessity of using high quality cables. 
  I fear you may return searching for additional solutions when the audio lag returns. It seems we try a host of solutions believing the problem is finally cured, only to have the lag rear its ugly head again. 
  I have noticed my lag ONLY shows up on certain channels I view through the Spectrum TV App. 
  Troubleshoot as we may, it returns, and blame goes too.... Roku or my internet modem, which happens to be supplied by none other then, Spectrum. 
...go figure. 
  I do wish the best in your final solution. 
-D

C_I
Level 12

Jump to solution

@William2nd wrote:

Similar issue: Brand new 65" Sony Bravia XBR-65X900H, Polk Audio Magnifi and Roku Ultra.  The audio lag was driving me nuts also as I was getting it across the board - until...I swapped out all HDMI Cables with Rocketfish 8K HDMI Ultra High Speed Certified cables and the issue no longer exists. 

Lesson learned - cables DO make a difference.

Also, reset your device, settings>system>system reset

0 Kudos
handinpalm
Level 8

Jump to solution

Looks like a spammer poster getting people to by their product by telling them to buy certain cables.  BS!  Problems usually occur when there is a power glitch.  To fix, just cycle power to roku device by pulling power plug.

0 Kudos
William2nd
Level 8

Jump to solution

Nope, not a spammer at all.  Just listing the particular cables I purchased - I would imagine any brand of 2.1 certified HDMI cables would work.  Also, I have been scouring the internet for a solution for well over a month and have tried each and every method people have suggested including resets, unplugging, rewinding etc.,etc.  This solution is working for me at the moment.  Just trying to help 

0 Kudos
bcmoore
Level 8

Jump to solution

I had an audio lagging problem with my Roku. I gave up on Roku and got a Firestick for $25 instead. Problem solved. I bet I spent WAY less on the Firestick than you did on those cables!!! which, as a video engineer, I do not think would solve your problem, as the audio information, once encoded at the source, is embedded in the video blanking interval and always arrives at the same time as the video. So the cables CANNOT cause or cure a lag problem. The issue is likely how the audio is embedded in the source, Roku itself. Your audio problem was likely resolved by other means and your observation was likely a coincidence.

0 Kudos
SteveHC1
Level 9

Jump to solution

“handinpalm” - Sorry dude but I must say: 1) He is NOT a “spammer selling cables,” 2) a defective or poorly manufactured HDMI cable ABSOLUTELY can produce the type of problem we’ve been discussing here for months on end, and 3) the “solution” you claim to be a “fix” to this well-known and much-discussed problem is in fact NO fix at all as this persistent problem is obviously not caused by a “power glitch” as you’d put it (and I believe that any genuine attempt to read through the multitude of posts on this and other related threads here would VERY quickly make this fact EXCEEDINGLY clear to the reader). I’m not saying that going out and replacing the HDMI cable will resolve any and all instances of this problem of audio and video becoming out of sync with each other; in fact, FAR from it - this problem has more than one cause, requiring   a “fix” considerably beyond the act of rebooting the Roku and more likely not involving replacement of the cable (although doing so can certainly be worth a try, using high speed or ultra high speed HDMI cabling when one is not viewing a 4k and/or HDR program will generally be a waste of money).

0 Kudos
Llisk123
Level 8

Re: Roku Express audio sync issues

Jump to solution

It doesn’t matter what app you are in. You are changing your Roku preferences, not your Sling preferences. Just take your Roku remote and press the star button. Scroll to “audio leveling” and whatever it’s on select the opposite. I had the same problem and it fixed it.

0 Kudos
SteveHC1
Level 9

Jump to solution

“bcmoore”: Don’t be too surprised if you later find the problem rearing its ugly head on your new Firestick, for it has been known to happen on ALL streaming devices regardless of brand; none are immune to it (except *perhaps* Comcast’s FLEX devices and, of course, when streaming from a computer or very robust tablet or phone - certainly a very expensive “fix”!). Just stating the facts... (P.S. when faulty audio is “embedded in the source” as you put it, the “source” is NOT the Roku device but rather either in the original program data file(s), or pretty much anywhere along the data transmission path from the original server located anywhere on the planet all the way through to the tv’s relevant circuitry.)

0 Kudos
SteveHC1
Level 9

Re: Roku Express audio sync issues

Jump to solution

“Llisk123”: That does NOT always fix the problem, as so many here have testified. It’s just not that simple.

0 Kudos