Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rhb43
Level 7

Re: Audio Out of Sync - lagging

Jump to solution

What might the TV settings be that I could address?  No other Roku app/channel is displaying the problem (Prime, Apple TV, netflix, etc.).  The Spectrum box that I still have attached does not either.  Some Spectrum app TV channels do not have this issue either.  I have tried this threads suggestions of "*" changes to no avail as well.  TV is a Sony Bravia, KDL-46HX800.

0 Kudos
C_I
Level 12

Re: Audio Out of Sync - lagging

Jump to solution

@Rhb43 wrote:

What might the TV settings be that I could address?  No other Roku app/channel is displaying the problem (Prime, Apple TV, netflix, etc.).  The Spectrum box that I still have attached does not either.  Some Spectrum app TV channels do not have this issue either.  I have tried this threads suggestions of "*" changes to no avail as well.  TV is a Sony Bravia, KDL-46HX800.

Go to settings>system>system reset. That should solve your problem. 

0 Kudos
Thw0rted
Level 8

Re: Lip sync audio and visual lagging

Jump to solution

Steve, I think you may misunderstand Rhb43's issue.  It sounds like they are saying that the Spectrum app *on Roku*, connected to a Sony TV, has audio sync problems, but they also have a smart TV which runs a Spectrum app, and that has no problems.  That suggests it's either a defect in the Roku, a configuration issue with the Roku, or a buggy Spectrum app (on Roku).

Rhb43 - by all means try a system reset, if you like, but first you could try the suggestion I mentioned above, forcing the Audio Type and HDMI Audio settings to Stereo / PCM.  That's a quick test, then try a reset, then if that doesn't do the trick it sounds like the official support folks need to get involved.

0 Kudos
loufuddrucker3
Level 9

Re: Roku Express audio sync issues

Jump to solution

Didn't work for me. Lip sync is off. Lagging. Driving me crazy.

0 Kudos
CTLeam
Level 7

Jump to solution

I’ve had the same issue for a while now. I’ve tried the solution re. Stereo and PCM. Still an issue. Please advise ROKU!

0 Kudos
DenM59
Level 9

Jump to solution

I have previously posted but this is beyond frustrating. I really like ROKU and during the last year I purchased 2 additional ROKU TVs (TCL and Hisense) and while both have occasional sound issues on certain apps they both re-sync automatically almost instantly. Despite trying every suggested solution previously posted the issues with my older ROKU Express seem to be worse with every software update and after a short time its unwatchable with some apps. I will repeat this does not happen on every channel so I am guessing there is a compatibility issue with certain apps but after all this time you would think ROKU could work with the various developers to get this resolved. ROKU are obviously aware of this issue but chose to ignore it. Just read the reviews on Amazon and search for "sync" and you will see we are not alone. I will wait to see if I can get a good Black Friday deal on a Fire Stick and if that works out I will dump the ROKU Express.

0 Kudos
CTLeam
Level 7

Jump to solution

Yes - I thought I would do the same. Roku's loss then.

0 Kudos
mrscnln
Level 7

Jump to solution

I tried to watch a movie on Amazon prime last night with the Roku and finally gave up.  The audio sync problem has gotten worse and I agree the best solution is to buy a Firestick.  I have two Firesticks on my other TVs and have never had an issue.

swbrains
Level 8

Jump to solution

I have noticed this issue only recently on my Roku Ultra (a year or two old).  However, it's not all the time.  It seems to happen specifically when I pause, rewind or fast-forward  content in Sling TV and Netflix (although those are the only two apps I watch that allow FF/Rew/Pause, so it could be elsewhere). 

Anyway, after pausing/rewinding/fast-forwarding, then restarting the show, it won't play audio for about two seconds, even though the video is playing.  Then the audio kicks in, but it kicks in from the time I restarted the playback, so the video is now ahead of the audio by about two seconds.  Usually I have to exit the app and restart it and then resume the show I was watching.  Sometimes I have to do that more than once to get it to play back properly. 

In Sling I mostly notice it in recorded shows that I am watching later and want to skip over a commercial.  When I skip ahead and resume, the audio is delayed.  In Netflix, there are no commercials, so I usually see it when I rewind to watch something again, then restart the playback, the audio is delayed.

Prior to the delay issue, I had noticed Netflix would often start with no volume, even though other apps had just had proper volume while we were watching them. Switch to Netflix to watch a show, and then no volume.  Exit Netflix and restart it, and then the show has proper volume control.

The audio delay issue seems to have just started recently for me; within the last several months.  I've tried some of the tips here without success.  I will try changing Roku's  audio mode to PCM/Stereo but I don't want to give up surround sound as I am using a Vizio 5.1 soundbar and would like to be able to utilize surround sound when available.  I've had the soundbar for the same amount of time as the Roku Ultra, and the delay/sync issue didn't exist for most of that time.   At various points over the past year or two I've completely factory reset both of these devices to fix other issues (like the soundbar not waking from sleep), so it's not as if they have never been reset or are overdue for a full reset.

Anyway, I wanted to add my experience to this thread in case my symptoms help Roku support diagnose the cause of the issue.

Rhb43
Level 7

Jump to solution

I just noticed my Ultra on a Samsung TV is having the sync issues with Netflix.  Appears to only happen after pausing a show.  I have to restart the show to correct it.

0 Kudos