Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Audio Out of Sync - OS 9.2

Jump to solution

Hi Tanner. I've had no response to my reply to you containing the result of my test of your suggestion. The discussion seems to have gone silent. Is Roku actually working on a solution to the problem? Cheers, W.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

Hi there, 

Thanks for continuing to keep us posted. As we've mentioned previously, we are continuing to investigate this issue and are working towards further resolution. We appreciate the observations and details requested—they're very helpful. I will continue to keep this topic updated as we have any further news to share. We appreciate your patience in the meantime. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I can confirm I am having the same issue with my Roku Ultra (9.2).  Problem occurs with both Emby & Plex apps.  Disabling auto refresh rate resolved the issue for the moment but I would prefer to have this issue resolved so I can re-enable this option.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Audio/video sync issues

Jump to solution

I have the Roku Ultra. the issue I'm having is that the volume just drops out for several seconds, then comes back. This happened several times over the course of 10-15 minutes.

I checked for any updates, but there weren't any. I rebooted the Roku and tried again. Same result.

I then used the app on my smart tv (Sony Bravia). Played fine with no issues.

To note, I've had more issues with this Roku than my other 3 Roku's combined.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I am happy to report that disabling the "auto-adjust display refresh rate" feature has seemingly fixed the audio sync problem for my Roku as well.....thank you for finding that workaround!!!  Hopefully someone (be it someone from Roku, or a fellow end-user) will post *here* (in this thread) when a Roku system update with a possible fix is released (a fix for the auto-adjust display refresh rate).  I ask because I have not found anywhere else on the Internet to track this issue, & I'd really like to know when I/we can re-enable that "auto-adjust display refresh rate" feature.  Thanks again!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

What does the auto refresh rate function do? Wondering what the drawback is from turning it off to fix the sync problem. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18

Jump to solution

@Jfrocke67 wrote:

What does the auto refresh rate function do? Wondering what the drawback is from turning it off to fix the sync problem. 

Not all video content is streamed at 60 Hz (also known as frames per second). Depending on a number of factors, it can be 24, 25, 50, 60, 23.975 or 59.975. If the video feed to the display isn't a rate the display supports, the Roku (or any other streaming device has to make internal adjustments to make the video rate match a rate the display supports, or just to the display rate the streaming device is set to. By default, most Roku players will stream at 60 Hz. That processing can cause blank frames, a slight stutter, and as we see here it can also mess with the audio sync. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

@Jfrocke67 wrote:

While atc98092's explanation is great, here is additional / complimentary information regarding your question, straight from Roku themselves:

https://support.roku.com/article/115012823268-how-do-i-change-the-display-refresh-rate-to-match-the-...

In a nutshell, the best possible picture quality is achieved by the Roku automatically adjusting its output, to match the native frame rate of the content you are watching at the moment (which can vary significantly).  The "auto display refresh" setting facilitates that of course, and that is why we are all looking forward to a fix, after which we can then re-enable the Roku's auto display refresh feature.

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

@RokuTannerD wrote:

Hi there, 

Thanks for continuing to keep us posted. As we've mentioned previously, we are continuing to investigate this issue and are working towards further resolution. We appreciate the observations and details requested—they're very helpful. I will continue to keep this topic updated as we have any further news to share. We appreciate your patience in the meantime. 

Thanks,

Tanner

I started having the sync issues with Plex and Neflix after 9.2 hit my Ultra mid January. I also lost 5.1 surround sound, downgraded to stereo at the same time.  There's a separate thread here,

https://community.roku.com/t5/Playback-Issues-Audio-Video-Power/Update-9-2-broke-dolby-digital/m-p/5...

Are to two issues related?  I have no problem with sync or sound using the native LG Plex and Netflix apps. Also Auto-adjust display refresh rate has always been disabled, so that has no bearing on the issue for me.  My Ultra is an older model, with the optical out, not in use.

LG C9 55Inch Class 4K Smart OLED TV w/ AI ThinQ® (OLED55C9PUA)
Sonos Surround 5.1Sound System
Roku Ultra
Slingbox 500
Win10 Plex Media Server
BellTV 9242 HD PVR
Logitech Harmony Ultimate Home
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Has there been any update from Roku on addressing the original issue that is causing the audio/video being out of sync?

0 Kudos