Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 9

Re: Roku Express audio sync issues

Jump to solution

babs75: On the Roku go into Settings->System->Advanced system settings->Advanced display settings->Auto-adjust display refresh rate and ensure that it is set to “Disabled”. (AT&T TV Now doesn’t make use of that feature and keeping it “Enabled” can *potentially* contribute to the problem you’re experiencing.) Then shut off your tv, reboot your modem (and then the router as well if you have a separate one), restart the tv, go into the Roku Settings->System->Advanced system settings->Network connection reset-Reset connection and when the Roku is fully rebooted reconnect it to your WiFi network if you’re using WiFi to connect your Roku to your network (I recommend Ethernet if at all possible, which will of course reconnect automatically). Hopefully all of this will help, and it’s relatively quick & “painless.”

BY THE WAY - IF you previously had a 2k tv and you now have a 4k tv, you need to connect your Roku to your tv with an HDMI cable that is specifically designed to handle the 4k signals; the older HDMI cable standards are inadequate for 4k and their use in such a setup WILL DEFINITELY present problems.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I went through the steps you outlined exactly but the lagging is still happening.  My Roku doesn't have a separate HDMI cable.  It is not an Ultra.  It is the 4k Streaming Stick Plus and plugs directly into the TV.  I think I will go ahead and purchase the new Ultra 2020 that is coming out shortly.  It might be a better match for the new TV.  Thank you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

babs75: Given that both your current Roku stick and your new tv are 4k and your internet tv service is 2k it all SHOULD work “as is”. Sorry I’m not familiar enough with the Sony 4k’s to help you any further re potential tv settings adjustments (ex: this issue has become so common regardless of device brand or model that many current tv models now have an audio sync adjustment setting to HELP address the issue).

SEVEN more suggestions before you buy a new Roku:

1. Check a/v sync on Roku channel apps OTHER than the AT&T app. Is the problem confined to the AT&T app or is it appearing when using other Roku channel apps as well? Makes a difference.

2. Do a firmware check on your tv and do a proper update if indicated (see your tv’s instructions and settings for proper procedures; your tv will require its own unrestricted internet connection to do this).

3. A/V sync issues are often HDMI issues. And when it comes to HDMI issues and streaming sticks, the ORDER in which the tv and streaming device are started up can make a difference. If you power your stick independently of the tv (i.e. use its own ac power supply instead of a USB port on the tv), periodically reboot the stick, AND always power up the tv when the stick is *already* fully booted, that can make a BIG difference.

4. Unfortunately, defective HDMI connectors/connections are NOT uncommon (especially with streaming stick use). Test that HDMI port on the tv with another device (e.g. blue-ray player) to make sure it’s ok.

5. Force a Roku software & firmware update (System->System update->Check now) followed by rebooting it if it indicates that it did perform an update.

6. Test your internet speed - both independently (using the same method of connection as your Roku uses) and from within Roku settings (Settings->Network->Check connection) - to make sure that regardless of the Roku’s method of connection to your internet *ITS* actual connection speed is at least 25 Mbps (assuming no other devices are actively using bandwidth, otherwise you’d need more) and that jitter and data packet loss are at acceptable, LOW levels.

7. CONSIDER doing a tech support online chat with AT&T TV Now (they don’t offer phone support last I knew) *while the problem is manifesting itself* so they can thoroughly check their network connection with you and your account settings at their end to make sure all is as it should be (sometimes they need their system to recheck your Roku device ID data, as one example), and they (and/or Roku tech support if you can contact them) just might have a suggestion regarding your Sony tv’s recommended settings.

All of this SOUNDS more “complicated” and time consuming than it actually is (with the exception of contacting tech support which is ALWAYS time-consuming these days). But in your case buying a new Roku should be a LAST resort, as the model you currently have is by no means obsolete and as far as I know fully supports current HDMI standards and protocols.

My experience is that almost NEVER is this type of problem an actual device hardware issue (aside from the previously mentioned potential HDMI connector defects that can exist either on the tv - even a NEW tv - and/or on the streaming stick). It’s usually an internet streaming issue, and given the number of networks and servers involved coupled with the sheer complexity of current digital video methods (incl. HDMI and its required digital rights management schemes, just for starters) this should come as no surprise to anyone.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

@babs75 wrote:

I recently purchased a Sony 65inch X900H.  We had an older LG 1080p and I am using the Roku 4K Streaming Stick + . We never had an issue with the old LG but this new TV is entirely out of video and audio sync.  After a few minutes, the sound is garbled.  We stream AT&TNow TV but the problem is happening on all apps I have tried (Hulu, YouTube, etc). I have researched a lot on the internet and finally today uninstalled the app, restarted my Roku, reinstalled, and still have the issue.  Volume mode is set to 'off'.  Have restarted TV and modem on numerous occasions.  Apps on the TV itself are in sync.  Would the new Roku Ultra 2020 that is coming out soon help my problem?  Model number is 3810X, 9.3.0, Build 4194-50

@babs75 Have you disabled the "auto-adjust display refresh rate" feature on the Roku?  If not, there is no need to search the whole Internet on how to do that (and what that feature even does), because that information is all here in *this* very forum thread (look for posts from myself, and from the person who actually found that fix.....who I thank, around page 8 or so of this forum thread).  I had this same problem, with a recent model Sony 4k TV, and disabling the "auto-adjust display refresh rate" fixed the problem for me.  As others have said here, I'd hate for you to buy a new Roku, and then have the same problem (because the default setting on all Roku's is for "auto-adjust display refresh rate" to be enabled).  I can't guarantee that will fix your problem, but its certainly worth trying, before you buy a new Roku.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Interesting about the internet speed. I have very fast fiber optic internet.  When I checked the connection on the Roku itself, it only says it is getting 17 Mbps.  When I run a speed test on my laptop and I'm sitting directly across from the TV, I get 79 Mbps.  The modem is in the next room.   Hmmmmmmmmm.......... 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I turned off everything and found a long ethernet cable to bring the modem into the same room as the TV.  I did a reconnect to the Roku and now I'm getting 48 Mbps but still having the same sync problems and garbled words. Sigh.................

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

babs75: It really is unlikely that it’s the Roku device that’s the problem, particularly given that it didn’t occur until you attached it to a new tv (if I remember correctly). Most likely you need to adjust some settings on your tv (likely one or more “advanced” settings) - you should go through every single one to make sure it is set correctly given your tv’s attachment to a streaming device via HDMI and both the tv and Roku presumably being connected to your lan via WiFi (you might even need to check your router’s settings, by the way). Second most likely cause - a bad internet stream.

I strongly recommend you do everything that I have recommended previously, incl. checking that HDMI port for proper functionality with devices other than your Roku, and also try connecting the Roku to a different HDMI port (if you have more than one).

As an ABSOLUTE LAST resort you *can* also try: making sure your Roku is logged into your Roku.com account, then check for updates and install if available, then LOG THE DEVICE OUT of your Roku.com account, then RESET the Roku to its factory default settings (see your Roku’s instructions for that), and finally LOG THE ROKU DEVICE BACK INTO YOUR ROKU ACCOUNT to get all of your channel apps back. Do basically the same thing with your tv.

Beyond all of these things and short of (most likely unnecessarily) replacing your Roku you really WILL need to check your internet via your WiFi network for not just speed but also latency (or length of “ping”-back time), jitter, packet loss, and general lack of constancy/stability; AND go through every single setting on your tv and check to make sure that each one is set such that it is least capable of adversely affecting a/v synchronization and frame rate timing (remember - the more processing of the source signal that your tv is set to perform the GREATER the likelihood of a/v sync problems.

Good luck.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

SOLVED!  Here is the solution to my sound and video issues with my Roku Streaming Stick +.  I was searching through the Best Buy negative reviews hoping to find a clue, I found this:

"A little update over the last week after posting this review. So I exchanged my tv for a second model, only to have the same audio problems that I had with the first one. Frustrated, This got me thinking that it either was a firmware problem or software problem. Unrelated to solving my issues, I was attempting to cast from my Microsoft Surface Laptop when I noticed that the TuneIn Radio app was connecting and disconnecting to the cast like it was a bug. Upset that I could not cast to my tv. I uninstalled the TuneIn app. The rest of the day, I noticed that the audio crackles I had been experiencing were gone. At the time I thought that changing my settings on my PlayStation 4 from bitstream to LCPM was what helped but the TuneIn app seemed to be the culprit as it may have been playing in the background affecting the audio. Many people have been experiencing the same problem as me. I started as a post sharing this information on Sony's Community form as well as Reddit. So far, it seems like I have helped many people in the process. To anybody having issues, it's not sony, it is a 3rd party app that is to blame for issues that the tv is having. "

I uninstalled the TuneIn Radio app from the TV and the problems IMMEDIATELY disappeared and have not returned. That's been 12 hours ago. I can't believe the solution was this simple.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

Cool! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: zAudio delay since update 1st November Streaming stick

Jump to solution

Hi,

I have had problems with 5.1 Dolby digital surround being removed since the 9.4 update to my Roku Express two weeks ago 

Roku has now reinstated support for Dolby digital surround but i have to watch all the streaming apps in stereo as the lip sync is out on all channels if i try to watch in 5.1 surround and i have tried everything to resolve the issue. I'm  thinking oc ditching my Roku Express as I'm  now having technical issues watching films in 5.1 and its not an enjoyable experience trying to sorf this out all the time.

0 Kudos