Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Audio Out of Sync - OS 9.2

Jump to solution

Which setting are we referring to here with regard to disabling it (the one that's connected to the display frequency apparently)?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I too am experiencing the out of sync sound problem with the BBC iPlayer on my Streaming Stick + since the upgrade to OS 9.2. 

I have noted that when starting to play a programme that the sound stream starts correctly but first few seconds of the video is skipped. As a result, the programme plays but the sound is generally lagging the picture by around five seconds. I can work around this each time by pausing, rewinding back to the start, then restarting the programme. It then proceeds to play without the lag.

The Streaming Stick is plugged directly into an HDMI port on my Panasonic 4K TV. Sound output from the TV is fed from Digital Fibre connection to Yamaha soundbar.

Roku is model 3810EU, firmware 9.2.0, build 4806-50.

I have tried changing every Roku setting mentioned in this thread but no setting changes the problem.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Hi WarwickF,

Thanks for posting. Yes, That’s the only way I can resolve the issue too - pausing, rewinding and restarting. None of the posted proposed “fixes” solves the issue. The problem clearly lies with the Roku software update. Hopefully they’ll resolve the issue for us ......... one day! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Lip sync audio and visual lagging

Jump to solution

I have had the same problem with the ITV Hub.....except all their adverts that precede the programmes are in sync ......with all actual programme material including live, the audio lags by about 2 to 3 seconds!

All my other apps are all fine.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

@WarwickF  Thanks for following up here. If you visit Settings>System>Advanced system settings>Advanced display settings>Auto-adjust display refresh rate and 'Disable' this option, does the issue stop occurring? Please let me know if the issue persists with that option disabled. 

----------

As previously mentioned, I would also recommend that anyone experiencing this type of issue double check to see if any 'Volume mode' is enabled by pressing the * key on your remote during the playback of any content in a channel. Look for Volume mode settings. If 'Leveling' or 'Night' are enabled, try disabling these. 

You might also try removing the affected channel from the Roku home screen, then restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. Once your device restarts, add the channel back once more. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Adding my own issue to the thread, and hoping for ideas.

Have a brand new Roku Streaming Stick+ that I've just this month hooked up to a Vizio Quantum M 4K TV, which is connected by HDMI (ARC) to a Vizio 5.1.2 Atmos Soundbar. On the three Roku channels I've tried (Prime Video, Disney+, and Netflix), the audio is always lagging the video if I'm allowing Dolby Digital Plus output.  (Disney+ has the most lag.) It has never been in sync.

If I drop it down to PCM/Stereo, the audio is in sync, but I'm also losing my surround sound.

I've checked that Roku's volume leveling is turned off. The TV's own built-in streaming interface can play Dolby-enabled audio through the sound-bar perfectly, so it's definitely an issue related to the Roku.

I welcome any ideas, but I think I've tried everything obvious, with no luck. Really disappointing so far.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Issues encountered since 9.2 update

Jump to solution

For MY setup, at least, the problem definitely is within the Roku’s inability to handle automatic refresh rate changes properly, especially (but not exclusively) when program source involves changing servers. Possibly Roku hardware &/or OS software is simply unable to accomplish it quickly enough? Who knows. But this business of Roku “support” person here constantly asking everyone to report on the exact same and now seemingly uselessly repetitive variables is just plain nuts and a waste of us consumers’ time.

At any rate, I have found the only work-around that seems to work consistently - at least for me, on Roku STB units (the stand-alone units, not Roku TVs as I do not have such tv) - is to go into Settings -> System -> Advanced system settings and be sure that “Auto-adjust display refresh rate” is DISABLED.

Obviously this is no “fix” and merely a less-than-desirable work-around, and certainly for other folks any and ALL of the previously-posted work-arounds may be necessary in addition to this one of mine, but this one is the only one that works consistently with MY setup (Roku Ultra to Panasonic 1080 Plasma w/multiple refresh rate capability).

Up until recently I recommended Roku to EVERYONE. But until this SERIOUS issue gets TRULY fixed I sadly find myself having to recommend the relevant Amazon products.

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have done as you requested and disabled the auto-adjust display refresh rate. Unlike all your earlier suggestions this does appear to successfully work around the problem, and whilst not a fix as such, should provide your engineering team with a clue to the problem. It appears that the Roku is not handling frame rate changes correctly, perhaps failing to separate or buffer the sound and video components correctly after a change of refresh rate in the incoming stream.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Ok, good. It looks like this thread is getting some traction in the right direction. I mentioned the auto refresh rate option as being the root of the problem a number of times in December so it's comforting that others are now also share this opinion. Hopefully with a number of us all saying the same thing we can get some developer time dedicated to this.

Unfortunately I'm a new Roku user as of December so can't confirm this ever worked properly from personal experience but from reading the forums it would appear this option used to work prior to the 9.2 update. Hopefully this won't be too difficult to fix of its something which used to work but has since regressed. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Just to add, still an issue with the latest 4807 build.

0 Kudos