Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
CaptainMoody
Level 8

Audio Out of Sync - OS 9.2

Jump to solution

I have a Streaming Stick + Hooked up to my 4k TV via my 4k Marantz AVR.

Everything was fine last Tuesday. When I went to use the Roku on Wednesday I noticed it had updated to 9.2 from 9.1.

Since then I have had the following problems:

1. Adjust refresh rate no longer works in Netflix, everything plays at 60hz.

2. No video or audio when I select a programme in iPlayer, All4 or YouTube when subsampling is set to 4:2:2 (could be more, these are the only apps I've tried). 4:2:0 is fine

3. IPlayer audio sync is so far out all content is unwatchable.

I have factory reset the Roku and all problems persist, nothing has changed in my setup other than the Roku updating to 9.2.

[Post moved as topic title relates to a software update]

Labels (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Issues encountered since 9.2 update

Jump to solution

If you're experiencing an issue with audio being out of sync, try pressing the * key during playback, and turning off any 'Volume modes' that may be enabled from the lefthand menu. Let us know if that helps get things back on track. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

View solution in original post

37 Replies
Spacecookie
Level 7

Re: Roku Express audio sync issues

Jump to solution

Roku streaming stick + 3810rw connected via HDMI powered by its own power supply. I have been experiencing the same sync issues mostly on Hulu. None of the above fixes have worked. What does work but is annoying to do is after the video starts either rewind or fast forward and the sync issue disappears.

atc98092
Level 15

Re: Lots of issues since 9.2 update

Jump to solution

I no longer subscribe to Netflix, but it was my understanding that the refresh rate switch was disabled with the 9.0 release, because of all the complaints about the way Netflix constantly switched their refresh rate between the preview videos and the actual content. But since you appear to be in the UK, perhaps it wasn't disabled for you until now. But it was intentional, not a mistake.

I haven't noticed any issues with YouTube, but I couldn't tell you what subsample I'm on with my Ultra. That's the only Roku I have connected to a 4K TV.

iPlayer is (I believe) an UK only player, so can't comment on that one. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Thanks for the note here. Sorry to hear about the hiccups you're running into! 

As @atc98092 mentioned, the auto-adjust display refresh rate feature no longer applies to the Netflix channel as of OS 9.1 

As far as the other issues you're reporting, we'd like to help investigate this further. Could you please send me a private message with your Roku's serial number from Settings>System>About, the specific model of Marantz receiver you are using, your current display resolution selection in 'Settings>Display type', and a specific example of content in a channel for the 4:2:2 subsampling issue you reported? Please also include an example content title for the audio sync issue you are experiencing with the iPlayer channel. 

I'll follow up directly from there to continue looking into this. 

Thanks! 

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Rogcul
Level 7

Re: Roku Express audio sync issues

Jump to solution

Great, it also works for me, but why?  Interestingly, the ads are always in sync!  No problems with the Beeb.

0 Kudos
CaptainMoody
Level 8

Jump to solution

Hi Tanner,

PM sent with info.

Thanks,

Chris

0 Kudos
wswenlock
Level 8

Jump to solution

I'm having the same problem with BBC iPlayer audio being way out of sync since the 9.2 firmware update. All other apps are OK but I wish there was a fix for Netflix still being locked to 60fps. I've had to go back to Chromecast for iPlayer.

CaptainMoody
Level 8

Jump to solution

Did you get anywhere with this?

I had PMd Tanner with some details but have been on holiday for the last two weeks.

0 Kudos
wswenlock
Level 8

Jump to solution

No, but I discovered a couple of things. When a programme starts and the audio is way out of sync, stopping it and resuming sometimes fixes the problem. Alternatively, turning off Auto-Adjust Display Refresh Rate to lock the output at 60Hz seems to work but introduces too much picture judder for me.

0 Kudos
CaptainMoody
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thanks for the info - I'll check now I am back.

Not being able to use variable refresh rates is like being back in the early days of DVD. If Netflix weren't so bloody-minded about autoplaying trailers the changing refresh rate would never have been a problem in the first place

0 Kudos