Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Audio Issues

I've been losing audio on all streaming services through my Roku Express. It's not the TV, the menu sound is there and I have audio on my DVD player. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
Level 20

Re: Audio Issues

Most online streaming providers are using Dolby Digital Plus as the audio codec. Many TVs can't play that audio codec. You might change your audio settings on the Roku to be Stereo and see if that makes a difference. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

It did help...for about 24 hours. When I lost the audio again I threw the remote and unplugged the stupid thing and it worked again! I've had it connected to the same TV for a year and a half with no issues and then all of a sudden... I'm looking into other streaming devices. This is B#&*S*%$!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

I am having the same issue this morning ,, It was working properly last night when I turned it off .. It isnt the TV because I can hear the chirp when I change programs. and I have a Roku TV..

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

I didnt throw the remote but did unplug it and when turning it back on the sound worked.. Wonder if they did some sort of update last night and it is a bug of some sort.. If this is the first time that you have had issues in a year and a half and you are already looking for some other streaming service.. you wont be able to find anything cheaper

Highlighted
Level 7

An update is a possibility. I haven't had any other issues, yet.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Having the same issue.  I have a ROKU Ultra.  There is no audio when I try to watch videos on any of my apps. Seemed to happen out of nowhere. There is audio on the Roku menu, but not when using any of the apps.

Audio works on TV and other devices.

Tried flipping around the HDMI cable and using it in different inputs, but neither of those fixed the issue.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

@Duff657 wrote:

Having the same issue.  I have a ROKU Ultra.  There is no audio when I try to watch videos on any of my apps. Seemed to happen out of nowhere. There is audio on the Roku menu, but not when using any of the apps.

Audio works on TV and other devices.

Tried flipping around the HDMI cable and using it in different inputs, but neither of those fixed the issue.

Are you connected directly to a TV? If so, check your Roku audio settings. If' it's set to auto (and it likely is), try changing it to stereo. Many (most?) TVs don't support Dolby Digital+ audio, which is what most of the major streaming providers use now. It's possible an update flipped your setting. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Same problem here.

Using a Premiere+  model 4630x

For the past couple weeks, every time I use my Roku I have to reboot it to get audio to work.  I can here all the button navigation clicks no problem, but as soon as I start a program, there is no audio.  Happens on all channels that I have tried.  Once I reboot, audio works fine for the duration of the program.

Come back the next day to use it again, and I have to reboot again to get audio to work.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I have the same problem with multiple Roku Express devices. But not on all of my devices. It requires a restart or reboot to resolve. This is very frustrating. The problem began about a month ago (after about 6-months of trouble-free operation). It's gotta be a Roku firmware issue.

0 Kudos