Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nomutthere
Level 7

Audio Issues

Not sure if it's the age of my AV receiver (probably around 15 years old), or the age of my TV (Panasonic plasma). But no matter what setting I chose in the audio set up on the Roku Premiere Plus, I cannot get Dolby Digital, only Pro-Logic II. The AV receiver (Onkyo TX-SR503), does not have any HDMI inputs, only Toslink. I have one optical cable from the TV to the receiver, one optical cable from the Dish Hopper, one optical cable from my DVD player. I get Dolby Digital on every other device, but not when watching programming on the Roku. Any ideas? Any help would be appreciated...
0 Kudos
7 Replies
atc98092
Level 16

Re: Audio Issues

You don't say what model Roku you have. However, most online sources now use Dolby Digital Plus, and only the Roku Ultra 4640 can convert that to standard DD. Since your AVR most likely doesn't support DD+, all you can get is stereo. Also, many older TVs cannot process DD+, so again converts the audio to 2 channel. And even if it does support DD+, it most likely won't send it out via optical. Many older TVs won't send multi-channel audio from an external device out via optical. I believe your only option is an AVR upgrade. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
nomutthere
Level 7

Sorry about that. It's the Roku Premiere Plus.
0 Kudos
CParker
Level 8

Check if that AVR has settings for the port you're using. Some have "digital" and "optical" settings. If your TV is putting out optical audio then having the receiver set to digital results in no sound. And vice versa.
Also look in the TV manual and see what type of audio is puts out through the optical out. They don't all output the same as the source.
Chief Technology Officer, Barge Captain/mechanic/deckhand/dock hand, Cook, Lawn care and vehicle maintenance.
Yep.... I'm retired. :D
0 Kudos
nomutthere
Level 7

TV manual says "Digital Audio Out" is PCM / Dolby Digital, Fiber Optic.
0 Kudos
nomutthere
Level 7

The other weird thing, is I have to select "CD" on the AVR (to get ProLogicII). But I have nothing connected to that "port."
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

"nomutthere" wrote:
Sorry about that. It's the Roku Premiere Plus.

Yeah, it's probably the DD+ issue. Your player has no ability to convert DD+ to DD, so you only get stereo. If by some chance your TV accepts the DD+ input, it most likely won't send it out via optical. I think you're stuck. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
nomutthere
Level 7

Sounds like it's time for an AVR upgrade...Thanks for all your help people...
0 Kudos