Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
heidim

Audio Issues

Hello.  We purchased the Roku Premiere HD/4K/HDR in September 2019.  Starting January 27th, 2020, we have been having issues with the sound going out meaning no sounds whatsoever coming through the television.  We thought it was the tv which is a RCA 39" LED LCD Full HDTV, model number LED39B45RQ, manufactured in January 2013.  Our DVD player works fine through the tv so we figured out it is something going on with the Roku.  Checked for updates and everything is current.   After some trouble shooting, I figured out that if we restart the Roku, the sound works normal again.  We now know what to do but it's annoying having to restart it daily, multiple times a day, or every couple of days when the sound acts up.  Anyone else have this issue?  Was there some sort of update that happened prior to this that is causing the glitch?  Thanks!  

26 REPLIES 26
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Re: Audio Issues

@heidim  Thanks for reaching out to let us know about the issue you're experiencing. A few more questions here to help clarify the steps you've taken and the behavior you're seeing: 

- Have you tried replacing the HDMI cable used to connect the Roku device to your TV? 

- Have you tried connecting the device to a different HDMI port on the TV? 

- Which specific streaming channels have you been watching when you observe this behavior Please cite some examples, as well as content examples if you can recall. 

- During playback inside a streaming channel, when audio is lost during playback, press the * key on your remote. A menu will open on the lefthand side of the screen. Look for the option that says 'Volume mode' - Is this set to Leveling, Night, or Off? 

- Does changing the setting for Volume Mode to 'Off' resolve the issue, or restore audio without restarting your device? 

With more information, we can continue looking into this issue and assisting you. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
TE5LA
Streaming Star

Pardon my breaking in, but is there an official Roku support facility? There seems to be no other posts in these forums about the audio issue I have and I get no logical replies as to possible solutions.

sukimo96

I have this same issue! I have the stick+ Model# 3810RW Software version 9.3.0 build 4150-50 so I don’t use an HDMI cable it just plugs right into the port. It happens on all apps, (Hulu, Netflix, etc) usually the sound just goes completely out but sometimes it’s garbled instead. It is extremely frustrating with how often it’s been happening and has seemed to get worse lately. It didn’t always do this either, started maybe 3-4 months ago if I had to guess and has consistently gotten worse. 

tzalkia
Reel Rookie

This same problem has started on my Roku as well. I anxiously await someone from Roku to answer a fix for this problem that works. 2018 Streaming  Stick.

src70
Channel Surfer

You would have thought I wrote this post. Bought the Roku Premiere+ 4k in September 2019 and in recent months there is no sound every single day when I turn on the TV. If I unhook the roku and rehook, it starts working again, but I'm really tired of doing this. My cable is brand new and high quality. The other issue that started at the same time is the random zooming in on the screen. For instance, if the channel is showing someone's entire body, my screen is full of the left side of their face. This randomly happens constantly while watching TV... multiple times per day. 

I see there really is no Roku support to these issues and instead some random person asking you what you are doing to cause the problem. Now I'm concerned I bought a really large TCL Roku TV and a total of 5 additional Roku devices in the past 6 months. I'm clearly going to regret giving them my money. Have you been provided a resolution or is this Roku's horrible support? #rokuPremiere 

Armande38

I came here looking for a solution to the same problem. I was using an old Roku and never had this issue. I upgraded to the Roku Premier and now my volume goes out at random times every single day. Sometimes I can restart the Roku and get it back.  Most of the time, I end up giving up. When I would back to the tv hours later, the volume will typically work. Enough of that, though.  This is ridiculous that others are complaining of the issue and no solution is offered.  Time to switch to the FireStick. 

loliver773

We are having the same issue on two separate TVs with old Roku devices.  All of a sudden the volume completely goes out.  Started about a week ago and has happened four times.  If we unplug the power to the Roku ours fixed until or it happens again next time...

Blackjazzy

Sounds come and goes from roku tv

Jenrachoh

@heidim wrote:

Hello.  We purchased the Roku Premiere HD/4K/HDR in September 2019.  Starting January 27th, 2020, we have been having issues with the sound going out meaning no sounds whatsoever coming through the television.  We thought it was the tv which is a RCA 39" LED LCD Full HDTV, model number LED39B45RQ, manufactured in January 2013.  Our DVD player works fine through the tv so we figured out it is something going on with the Roku.  Checked for updates and everything is current.   After some trouble shooting, I figured out that if we restart the Roku, the sound works normal again.  We now know what to do but it's annoying having to restart it daily, multiple times a day, or every couple of days when the sound acts up.  Anyone else have this issue?  Was there some sort of update that happened prior to this that is causing the glitch?  Thanks!  

Same **bleep** problem here!