Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
janderson811
Level 7

Audio Fail on Roku 3 - Model 200X

The sound worked one day. Turned it off and the next day it would not and hasn't since then. I have spent three days trying to get the sound to work. Roku support is horrible.

It seems the Roku device inaccurately thinks a headphone is plugged in. Headphone jack has never been used.  I have also reset the device back to factory settings, and I am still unable to get the sound. I have tried every audio setting mentioned, I have restarted, I have unplugged I have switched HDMI ports, I have checked the volume, I have sound on the regular tv but as soon as the Roku is used NO SOUND.

Please assist in any way possible.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7\
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Audio Fail on Roku 3 - Model 200X

What happens if you take the batteries out of the remote?  I think if you're using the headphones then you'll get an icon on the screen.  Do you see that?  Does it give any kind of indication if you use the volume buttons on the remote?  Have you tried connecting headphones to the remote to see how it acts?

Also, I assume you mean model 4200X.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
janderson811
Level 7

If I remove the batteries, the remote icon does disappear and we can hear normally.

When the batteries are in, all of the remote functionality returns (Volume +, - channel section, etc.) but it is as if a headset is plugged in. I have plugged a set of headphones in and it works fine. 

Yes it is a model 4200 

0 Kudos
renojim

That makes it sound like the headphone jack on the remote is dirty or possibly even internally broken.  Try inserting and removing the headphones several times and if you have any compressed air try blowing that in the jack.  You can also find electronics cleaner (often in the automotive section) that you could try.

0 Kudos
Lkuhns
Level 7

I keep having the same issue!   My TV is only a week old.  The only wAy ive gotten the sound back was a system reset.  Nothing worked when i messed with the audio settings.   But it only lasted a couple days and I had to restart the process over again 

0 Kudos
janderson811
Level 7

Yep, tried cleaning the headphone check. I also used a little compressed air and e-cleaner with no luck.

Frustrated Roku does not offer any support or a knowledge base. It looks like many other Roku users have the same problem.

0 Kudos
renojim

Given how old that remote is it's probably just time to let it go.  It's long past any kind of warranty or support.  If it was mine I'd dissect it and see what's going on internally.  That's not something everyone is able or willing to do.

0 Kudos
janderson811
Level 7

I have thought about that, but I have 3 Roku 4200 boxes at home. All roughly the same age. Plus I expect to get more than 3 years on any device. I  am the kind of guy that will drive my truck 300K miles and be proud about it:-)

0 Kudos