Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lemonjello
Level 7

Atmos only from Jack Ryan

When I play Jack Ryan from Amazon Prime my soundbar indicates it is receiving Atmos sound. However when I play Marvel or Star Wars movies on Disney+ I only get Dolby Digital surround. I’ve deleted and reinstalled Disney+. My HDMI audio setting is on auto. 

This must be an issue with Roku. Any idea why this might be happening? 

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2\
StreamerUser
Level 20

Re: Atmos only from Jack Ryan

@Lemonjello wrote:

When I play Jack Ryan from Amazon Prime my soundbar indicates it is receiving Atmos sound. However when I play Marvel or Star Wars movies on Disney+ I only get Dolby Digital surround. I’ve deleted and reinstalled Disney+. My HDMI audio setting is on auto. 

This must be an issue with Roku. Any idea why this might be happening? 

Not sure which model Roku you have, or how all your devices are connected, but for any model Roku, when reinstalling an app the Roku **MUST BE RESTARTED** after removing and before reinstalling in order for the app settings to cleared/wiped (=remove, RESTART, reinstall).

Also, all those channels/apps use DD+ (Dolby Digital+) not DD (Dolby Digital) for their audio output, so if your soundbar is capable of showing/distinguishing between DD and DD+, it should be showing DD+, not DD - if its showing DD when it should be showing DD+, either there is an intervening device transcoding the DD+ to DD (such as a TV that you are directly connecting the Roku to that is sending the audio via ARC (can transmit DD+ or transcode it to DD, depending) or optical (which is limited to DD) , or you have a model 4640 set to output DD.

Otherwise, you may need to factory reset the device for full/correct audio functionality.

0 Kudos
Jhru
Level 7

Re: Atmos only from Jack Ryan

@StreamerUser  and @Lemonjello @@

I have the Roku Streaming Stick plus    and have exactly the same issue.  I get DD+ Atmos from the Amazon Prime app but only 5.1 from the Disney + app. Why should that be ?. I was told that the  Roku SS plus was able to deliver DD+ Atmos !

0 Kudos