Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
amirage
Level 7

Atmos encoded movies on USB in MKV format

Jump to solution

Hi,

I just got the 4670RW and am wondering whether the device can passthrough Atmos sound via a receiver that's capable of decoding the same? I have a lot of videos and Atmos demos on a USB and am pondering whether I should haul in my friend's Atmos receiver to check if the passthrough works or not. I thought it would be a lot simpler to ask it here. Please reply. 

Amir

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Atmos encoded movies on USB in MKV format

Jump to solution

@amirage wrote:

Hi,

I just got the 4670RW and am wondering whether the device can passthrough Atmos sound via a receiver that's capable of decoding the same? I have a lot of videos and Atmos demos on a USB and am pondering whether I should haul in my friend's Atmos receiver to check if the passthrough works or not. I thought it would be a lot simpler to ask it here. Please reply. 

Amir

If you are referring to an Atmos track from a ripped Blu Ray, the answer is no. BD discs use Dolby TrueHD, which is a lossless audio codec. Roku devices do not support any lossless codec, either from Dolby or DTS. 

What Roku devices do support is the lossy version of Atmos available from Dolby Digital Plus, which is used by many of the online streaming services. This is the Atmos you get from Vudu, Amazon, Netflix and others. Although I don't think the Netflix channel for Roku devices supports Atmos yet. 

If you want a device that supports the lossless audio codecs (TrueHD, DTS Master Audio) and/or the lossless audio with height (TrueHD/Atmos or DTS:X), then the best device is probably the Nvidia Shield. Using a player such as Kodi you get resolution and framerate matching, lossless audio support, captions for all sorts of sources, etc. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3\
renojim

Jump to solution

This guy @atc98092 would know.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@amirage wrote:

Hi,

Amir

If you are referring to an Atmos track from a ripped Blu Ray, the answer is no. BD discs use Dolby TrueHD, which is a lossless audio codec. Roku devices do not support any lossless codec, either from Dolby or DTS. 

What Roku devices do support is the lossy version of Atmos available from Dolby Digital Plus, which is used by many of the online streaming services. This is the Atmos you get from Vudu, Amazon, Netflix and others. Although I don't think the Netflix channel for Roku devices supports Atmos yet. 

If you want a device that supports the lossless audio codecs (TrueHD, DTS Master Audio) and/or the lossless audio with height (TrueHD/Atmos or DTS:X), then the best device is probably the Nvidia Shield. Using a player such as Kodi you get resolution and framerate matching, lossless audio support, captions for all sorts of sources, etc. 

Dan

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
amirage
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thanks for the help. Rather than writing a kong whining message, I'd summarize my response in this word...

D-OH!

0 Kudos