Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Aspect Ratio Issue with CBS All Access bundled thru Apple TV

Jump to solution

The same show (Example: Star Trek: Deep Space Nine) displays in normal (full-screen, 16:9) aspect ratio when I watch it in the CBS All Access Roku channel directly, but when I watch it via the Apple TV channel it displays in 4:3 AR. (Just purchased the CBS AA + Showtime Apple TV bundle, and my CBS AA subscription expires in a few days).

No change in any settings, just switching from one channel to the other via my Roku remote.

Does anyone know what is causing this, and what I can do to fix it?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 12

Re: Aspect Ratio Issue with CBS All Access bundled thru Apple TV

Jump to solution

@2Chihuahuas wrote:

I didn't mention which Roku model I have (Express, HDMI setting on Automatic), because DS9 plays perfectly in 16:9 on the CBS AA Roku channel; it's only when I switch to the CBS AA channel in the Apple TV channel's bundled service that it displays in 4:3 (black sidebars). The picture quality is also much grainier on the Apple channel.

I also posted this question on the Apple Support Community, but I was hoping that someone in the Roku Community might have some experience with this issue; "you need to take it up with them" is not really very helpful, nor friendly.

Considering that there are Roku models that support composite 16:9 or 4:3 display output its important that one indicates what one's model is, and how its connected, when one seeks help/assistance, especially with a display issue.

However, you still aren't providing any clear issue:  you say "DS9 plays perfectly in 16:9 on the CBS AA channel" (there is no HD or 16:9 transfer of DS9, not sure how a stretched or zoomed image is "perfectly" if that's the case you are seeing) but also "the CBS AA channel in the Apple TV channel's bundled service that it displays in 4:3 (black sidebars)" (which is how it should be displaying), but you seem to be taking issue with the latter, not the former, though the latter is correct (4:3 with sidebars, since there is no HD/16:9 transfer of the series).

If you are seeing DS9 fullscreen on a 16:9 display (edge to edge, no sidebars) with the CBS AA app, then that is in fact, incorrect, and contrary to the behavior you should be seeing:  4:3 with sidebars.  Your CBS AA app output is incorrect, your ATV app output is correct, but you seem to have an issue with the ATV output.

It is both "helpful and friendly" to inform you (with links provided even) that Roku doesn't code or develop the CBSAA app or the ATV app - those are coded by their respective companies, and all support requests for them should be directed at/to them. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Level 12

Jump to solution

You didn't indicate what Roku model you have, how its connected, your display settings or what your exact issue is.

Keep in mind there is no official HD release, and any full screen 16:9 output would be either zoomed/cropped or sidebar'ed (to retain 4:3).

That being said, DS9 plays identically (fullscreen w/sidebars to retain the 4:3) on every app (including Apple TV and CBSAA) on all my Rokus, with the exception of my 3910 (Express+) which plays fullscreen no sidebars (on an old 4:3 CRT TV connected via composite)

Regardless, two different apps, two different vendors, whichever one you have the issue with you need to take it up with them .

https://cbsi.secure.force.com/CBSi/knowledgehome?categoryOne=Getting_Started_on_Roku&categoryTwo=Tro...

https://getsupport.apple.com/

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I didn't mention which Roku model I have (Express, HDMI setting on Automatic), because DS9 plays perfectly in 16:9 on the CBS AA Roku channel; it's only when I switch to the CBS AA channel in the Apple TV channel's bundled service that it displays in 4:3 (black sidebars). The picture quality is also much grainier on the Apple channel.

I also posted this question on the Apple Support Community, but I was hoping that someone in the Roku Community might have some experience with this issue; "you need to take it up with them" is not really very helpful, nor friendly.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

Jump to solution

@2Chihuahuas wrote:

Considering that there are Roku models that support composite 16:9 or 4:3 display output its important that one indicates what one's model is, and how its connected, when one seeks help/assistance, especially with a display issue.

However, you still aren't providing any clear issue:  you say "DS9 plays perfectly in 16:9 on the CBS AA channel" (there is no HD or 16:9 transfer of DS9, not sure how a stretched or zoomed image is "perfectly" if that's the case you are seeing) but also "the CBS AA channel in the Apple TV channel's bundled service that it displays in 4:3 (black sidebars)" (which is how it should be displaying), but you seem to be taking issue with the latter, not the former, though the latter is correct (4:3 with sidebars, since there is no HD/16:9 transfer of the series).

If you are seeing DS9 fullscreen on a 16:9 display (edge to edge, no sidebars) with the CBS AA app, then that is in fact, incorrect, and contrary to the behavior you should be seeing:  4:3 with sidebars.  Your CBS AA app output is incorrect, your ATV app output is correct, but you seem to have an issue with the ATV output.

It is both "helpful and friendly" to inform you (with links provided even) that Roku doesn't code or develop the CBSAA app or the ATV app - those are coded by their respective companies, and all support requests for them should be directed at/to them. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I'm sorry -- I guess I must have been hallucinating (and I don't use substances, lol), because I just went to take a photo of my TV screen, and, lo and behold! -- DS9 on CBS AA is now (?) displaying in 4:3. I have no idea what I was seeing the other day....Smiley Embarassed

Please accept my apologies.

0 Kudos