Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bradleyrose
Level 7

Aspect Ratio - 4:3 to 16:9 conversion bug?

I have my aspect ratio set correctly on the box (16:9), but some of the Netflix content is still getting zoomed (cutting off the top and bottom). I am 100% certain it is not due to any settings on my plasma. Specifically, I was watching "The Business of Being Born" last night (not very good), and the text at the bottom of some of the scenes was cut off. 

Is this a bug in how the box handles 4:3 to 16:9 conversion? Is this something on the Netflix side? 

How does the box handle 4:3 programming when the box is set to 16:9?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
jeffrok
Level 12

Re: Aspect Ratio - 4:3 to 16:9 conversion bug?

It shouldn't be cutting off on the top. It should just be showing black bars on the sides and showing the 4:3 picture- UNLESS Netfix encoded it wrong.

Also, make sure your TV's widescreen settings are set to Wide/Full//Direct, not Zoom.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

@bradleyrose 

I have a few additional questions to help better understand what you are seeing: 

- What model of Roku device are you using? (Settings>System>About) 
- Is it connected to your TV via HDMI or via composite cables (red/white/yellow)? 
- What other specific titles in the Netflix channel are you observing this issue on? 
- What specific make & model of TV is your Roku device connected to? 

As @jeffrok mentioned, make sure to double check your TV's own display settings to ensure no form of display/zoom setting may be affecting what you are seeing on screen. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 12

I'm referring to your TVs aspect ratio settings, not the Roku's aspect settings.. what is your TVs widescreen setting set to?
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos