Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dhwm
Level 7

Apple TV+ App Does Not Work (Still !) 09/13/2020

This app still takes a long time to load and when it finally finishes, I sometimes get a black screen.  I then have to start over again and when the picture appears, the "centerpoint" of the movie moves to the lower right hand part of the screen.  I have my TV display set on Auto.

Also, some programs (say, Oprah's interview show) is jerky/stutters, it looks as if frames are missing. When this happens, the audio and video are way out of sync.

I don't know why it's just the Apple TV+ app; all other apps work just fine; Prime Video, Pluto TV, Vudu, and all of the others work fine.

The Apple TV+ app needs some serious fixing of the bugs in it.  It's no wonder they are rated the lowest service.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
makaiguy
Level 20

Re: Apple TV+ App Does Not Work (Still !) 09/13/2020

When there is a problem with just one channel app, it may help to reload the channel:

Remove/reinstall procedure:

1. Highlight channel on home screen.

2. Press * key and choose Remove channel option.

3. IMPORTANT- DON'T SKIP:
    From home screen, Settings > System > System restart (or on a Roku TV Settings > System > Power> System restart). This assures no remnant of the old installation remains in the Roku's memory so you get a complete reinstall. It may or may not make a difference, depending on what's causing your problem, but it's worth doing.

4. Reinstall the channel.

5. If channel requires a login, you may need to log in anew.

Note that a reinstalled station gets added to the bottom of the channel grid on the Roku home page.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
thegarage1
Level 7

Restarted, reloaded, tried it all and it still won’t playback. 
I can select a show, but no playback.

Disney, Netflix, Prime all work no issues.  Apple says everything is fine on their side.

where do I go from here?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Jeanette8
Level 7

Me too!  It looks like a show will start, but just a black screen.  I've tried everything....

0 Kudos
glitch
Level 7

Same here. Obtained 1 year free subscription to AppleTV with purchase of iphone.

Download app on iphone and computer, and no problem to view free movies.  However, on installing AppleTV app to my TV with the Roku 3 device, can only view Oprah Conversation with no issues on video and audio.  All other content there is no video and audio, except subtitle.

Contacted Apple Support and after 3 weeks they are not able to resolve the issues, except to suggest contacting Roku as it is not a Apple product.  However, on their support page, Roku 3 (Model 4200CA) is an approved device to access the Apple TV app.

Would be great if Roku can comment on this issue as it is happening to us using the Roku device.  Let us know whether it is the device, setting or what is the probelm.  

0 Kudos
omalley
Level 7

Same here. Looks like it's playing a movie or show, but it's not playing anything. Black screen, no audio. Tried everything: restarted roku, removed & channel & re-added, logged out of apple & logged back in. And various combinations of... NOTHING. So annoying. And annoyed to see, on a later post, that apple can't solve it and refers back to Roku. Definitely an Apple issue, but does Roku have an answer?? 

0 Kudos
glitch
Level 7

Got around this problem by connecting the HDMI cable from my laptop to my ToshibaTV.

As the HDMI cable is connected to channel 3 for my TV, I had to change the input to 3 to view the AppleTV shows.  This way the TV is acting as an external monitor for my laptop.

Until Roku and Apple resolve this problem with their app, I will continue to see AppleTV movies on my laptop via the TV screen.

0 Kudos