Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
malrats
Level 7

Anyone else have terrible audio lag on their Roku TV when using a sound bar? (TCL 55S401)

My sound bar that I had for 5 years broke. It worked great. Since then I’ve tried 4 different bars from 4 different brands. All of them have an audio lag when using them with my Roku TV—the audio is delayed and out of sync with the video. This happens via all formats and over both Optical and HDMI-ARC. It happens on the built-in apps, my game consoles connected to the TV via HDMI, DirecTV connected via HDMI, and even when I connect a sound bar directly to my Xbox or any other source via optical.

I’ve tried everything that I can possibly think of. Does anyone else have this issue? More importantly a fix?

This really stinks because my only option right now seems to be the TV speakers, and they sound really bad. I ordered the Roku TV Wireless Speakers, but I have no idea how that will go.
TCL 55S401 Roku TV (Unsolved audio/video lag issues!)
0 Kudos
20 Replies
dgrace
Level 7

Re: Anyone else have terrible audio lag on their Roku TV when using a sound bar? (TCL 55S401)

So  I assume you've checked settings in both tv and soundbar for any delay settings? 
Just downloaded the manual for your tv and find no audio sync adjustment. What about the soundbar? Does it have connection options? Just wondering if the lag is on all available tv outputs or just optical/hdmi/analog.
Does seem to be a common issue from what I'm reading.
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ
0 Kudos
BobRoberts
Level 7

Re: Anyone else have terrible audio lag on their Roku TV when using a sound bar? (TCL 55S401)

I've used a Bose Solo 5 with a number of Rokus over the past few years and have had no issues. BTW, I am not a Bose employee!
0 Kudos
blade_005
Level 10

"malrats" wrote:
My sound bar that I had for 5 years broke. It worked great. Since then I’ve tried 4 different bars from 4 different brands. All of them have an audio lag when using them with my Roku TV—the audio is delayed and out of sync with the video. This happens via all formats and over both Optical and HDMI-ARC. It happens on the built-in apps, my game consoles connected to the TV via HDMI, DirecTV connected via HDMI, and even when I connect a sound bar directly to my Xbox or any other source via optical.

I’ve tried everything that I can possibly think of. Does anyone else have this issue? More importantly a fix?

This really stinks because my only option right now seems to be the TV speakers, and they sound really bad. I ordered the Roku TV Wireless Speakers, but I have no idea how that will go.

I have a Vizio 5.1 soundbar and will occasionally have audio synch issues, but with 5.1 audio only, not stereo. I found that turning off any post processing on soundbar (i.e. Volume leveling, Movie mode, etc) and setting a 2ms Audio delay works pretty well. 200 ms is the lag I had read in a number of articles that 5.1 audio can introduce when being passed to sound source. I don't know how factual that is, but with those settings I find very little audio delay with 5.1 audio. When it does occur I can turn off my soundbar and let it default back to TV speakers and stereo output and the sync is gone. I can turn my soundbar back on and the audio switches over and is back in sync again for the duration of the stream.

All of this may be mute if you have ordered the Roku Wireless speakers.
TCL-TV Roku 55P605 (4K HDR & DV) | VIZIO SmartCast SB3651‑E6 Soundbar
TCL-TV Roku 43S425 (4K HDR) | TCL-TV Roku 32S301 (720p)
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

You can detect a 2 ms audio lag? You have rocking hearing! 
I've never used a soundbar, but do run my Ultra through a Yamaha AVR. I've never experienced any audio sync issues, other than some YouTube videos. But I get sync issues with YT on a web browser as well, so it's an issue with the video itself. I can understand the potential for audio lag when the TV itself is the source, and you're feeding an external audio device. I can't recall ever seeing a delay setting on either of my Roku TVs, but then I don't use anything external so haven't really looked. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
blade_005
Level 10

"atc98092" wrote:
You can detect a 2 ms audio lag? You have rocking hearing! 
I've never used a soundbar, but do run my Ultra through a Yamaha AVR. I've never experienced any audio sync issues, other than some YouTube videos. But I get sync issues with YT on a web browser as well, so it's an issue with the video itself. I can understand the potential for audio lag when the TV itself is the source, and you're feeding an external audio device. I can't recall ever seeing a delay setting on either of my Roku TVs, but then I don't use anything external so haven't really looked. 

LOL. I meant to say 200 ms. Just what I read in a few articles. Audio delay setting is on my Vizio soundbar, not the TCL TV. I found in the past if 5.1 audio was out of sync that just moving the AV delay in either direction would snap the audio back in synch, until next time!! I have found with recent Roku OS (8.2) and turning off any post processing on Vizio soundbar and adjusting delay to 2ms on soundbar that stereo plays with no issue and my 5.1 audio streams are pretty spot on. There are occasional issues, but mostly if I am jumping around in a stream to get to a specific place.
TCL-TV Roku 55P605 (4K HDR & DV) | VIZIO SmartCast SB3651‑E6 Soundbar
TCL-TV Roku 43S425 (4K HDR) | TCL-TV Roku 32S301 (720p)
0 Kudos
malrats
Level 7

I’m not sure of exactly what the delay is for me, but this whole issue is bad enough that I’m almost debating getting a new TV in a Black Friday sale that doesn’t have Roku. Because looking at the updates going forward all the way through RokuOS 9, they aren’t addressing this issue at all despite seeing literally hundreds (at least) complaining about the issue.
0 Kudos
malrats
Level 7

Update: for the heck of it, I picked up a cheap AV receiver and speakers and hooked my TV up to that. The exact same lag exists as does with the various sound bars.

:’(
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

Only thing I can think of is to try powering off the TV, unplug it for a minute, and plug it back in. If that fails, a factory reset (a pain, I know).. if that fails, it sounds like faulty firmware in the TV..
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
malrats
Level 7

"jeffrok" wrote:
Only thing I can think of is to try powering off the TV, unplug it for a minute, and plug it back in. If that fails, a factory reset (a pain, I know).. if that fails, it sounds like faulty firmware in the TV..

Yeah, I’ve already done all of those steps, sadly. :-/
0 Kudos