Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
warc1x
Level 7

Another DD+ DTS Not Working Thread

I've done a search on this topic, but none of the solutions listed work for me. I also noted that there is a thread with a similar title two posts down from mine as I write, but it regards audio through ARC, which is not my issue. I've also seen the thread Roku OS 10.0 Update Breaks Surround Sound, but it's not clear if that is a universal problem on all Roku devices and that thread appears dead with regard to Roku support input.

The following is my situation. I just installed a new home theatre system centered around a Marantz AV7706 pre-amp/processor into which I am using a new Roku 3810CA Streaming Stick Plus as my primary media streamer. Surround sound does not and never has worked on this device as far as I can tell. The Roku reports that firmware is up to date at version 10.0.0 4195-50. Audio settings are Auto for HDMI and Audio Mode is Auto (DD+(DTS HD)). Regardless of these settings, all content comes across as Stereo only. Netfliix and Prime in particular. Is there something else I'm missing in setup?

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3\
StreamerUser
Level 20

Re: Another DD+ DTS Not Working Thread

1) Check for a firmware update (10.0.0-4198 is latest) - Settings/System/System update/Check now

2) Verify Settings/Audio/HDMI="Auto Detect" & Settings/Audio/Audio mode="Auto (DD+, DTS)"

3) Open NetFlix, scroll to known 5.1 content, look for 5.1 tag (should be there).

4) Play 5.1 tagged content, press Options (*), select Volume mode, set to OFF

5) Verify AVR displays DD+ 5.1

NOTE:  NF only displays 5.1 tagging if Auto detects DD+, or manually configured to DD+ (for all models except 4800/4640)

0 Kudos
warc1x
Level 7

Just to close out this thread, I followed the advice above and I still could not get surround sound to work. I tried numerous other troubleshooting tips on this forum and elsewhere and nothing worked. So, the only solution that worked for me was to dump the Roku Streaming Stick Plus and replace it with the new Apple TV 4k Gen 2 that was just released. It works flawlessly so far to the point that I don't anticipate ever being a Roku customer again.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 20

You may have had a Volume mode enabled (Leveling, Night) - these disable all multichannel output.

These can be checked/disabled by pressing Options (*) during playback and checking Volume mode=OFF

I'd recommend keeping SS+ in addition to the ATV4K2 for the purpose of having a multiplatform streaming strategy (for app carriage disputes/differences etc).

0 Kudos