Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Amazon Prime not working on ROKU

I'm having chronic problems with Amazon Prime & ROKU. Amazon help has been USELESS. Nothing wrong with my Internet, all other channels (apps) work perfectly on Roku. On Amazon Prime, the title will start to buffer and then I get a dark screen. Nothing. I've done ALL the troubleshooting - including Router, uninstalling and then reinstalling Amazon Prime Video app; and re-starting the ROKU. What's going on, does ANYONE knonw?

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Level 7

Re: Amazon Prime not working on ROKU

I have been having the same issues, getting an internet connectivity issue screen. Two hours off talking with amazon help they say it's a roku problem... I'd like to know how to fix this, cause I have tried everything

0 Kudos
Level 7

I cant even get the app to start. Loads to 100% then freezes. I have to restart the ruko completely in order for it to operate again. Only app with this issue

0 Kudos
Level 8

I hear you. Sometimes it works for me, sometimes not. I'm very concerned to be honest. I'm not getting answers from either ROKU or Amazon, which is very concerning. Amazon's "support" team was impossible: in my note to them I carefully outlined ALL the steps I already took and made it clear all I wanted was for them to report the problem to the appropriate supervisors, etc. Instead of reading my note, they started asking me to go through the same steps I had already taken -- twice. I was furious. But, ROKU doesn't offer any real support either. I've been given NO reason that they don't support HBO Max either.

Personally: I think the issue may be Amazon's fault: PERHAPS...they want more people to use their devices, like Fire TV?

The bottom line: I want this FIXED, and I want someone to take responsibility for the problem, and offer a fix. My Amazon Prime subscription comes up for renewal in January. It seems they don't care anymore. 

0 Kudos
Level 8

Amazon would point the finger. It is a problem with both. On November 25, ROKU support posted a service issue with Amazon. However, it appeared as if the problem was emanating from Amazon, and affecting many services, including some ROKU subscribers/devices. The page has been taken down by ROKU unfortunately.

0 Kudos
Level 7

I, too, have a problem with Prime.  After 5-10 (it varies) minutes of viewing a program, Prime completely shuts down and kicks me back to the Roku Home screen.  This started the evening of November 29, 2020.  I've restarted the system; signed out of the app then signed back in; unplugged the Roku.  Nothing helps...and it's only Amazon Prime.  However, this behavior is happening on a #RokuExpress that I recently purchased.  My old #RokuPremier (on another TV) has no problem with Amazon Prime, nor does my ancient #Roku XD.  Are the rest of you having trouble with the #RokuExpress?

0 Kudos
Level 8

I have a ROKU Ultra. The problem is that neither company will fess up to being the culprit(s), making it all that more difficult to resolve. Let's face it: ROKU devices can be twitchy; but in general they work pretty well. I've had ZERO trouble with any other app I have including Netflix, Showtime, and MhZ. It's only Amazon Prime. My problem is slightly different that yours in that it is in the buffering stage. I click on a title, and it begins to buffer and rather than the video starting, I get a dark screen. I've tried everything, and I have gotten it to work, but it is very frustrating that the problem still persists. 

0 Kudos
Level 8

I'm having the same problem. I came here to post about it & it looks like many other people are in the same boat. I have 2 streaming stick pluses that I bought 2 years ago, so, fairly new and it's happening on both. Couple months or so ago, Amazon Prime would load to 100% and then freeze. Support at Amazon did not solve the problem. Eventually went away on its own. Starting last week, prime started to buffer for everything. My partner & I tried watching a movie and it quit midway. It buffered then kicked us out of the channel. After an hour we were able to watch the rest of it, but it always paused to buffer. A series that we've been watching on prime is unwatchable at this point, however, we found it on the roku channel and there are no issues—smooth watching. So, it's amazon prime. All of our other channels work just fine. Excellent wifi signal, good internet connection. It's like there's some kind of incompatibility between prime & the roku device, and I too have wondered if prime isn't fixing the bugs so that people will be forced to buy their firestick…

0 Kudos
Level 7

Possible Solution:  @Danny-R (a Roku Manager) posted on Re: Disconnects BritBox and Danz:  Remove the channel by going to the home screen, highlighting the channel (Prime) and pressing *.  Go to Remove Channel and then restart the system by going to Settings>System>System Restart.  I did it for Prime...had to search a bit to find it again way down on the home screen, but it was there.  Once reloaded, it seemed to solve the problem.

0 Kudos
Level 8

Not for me. I did that.

0 Kudos