Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bgrigg
Level 7

Amazon Music breaks audio output via ARC

Just bought a TCL 55R635 TV and noticed that the Amazon Music app breaks audio output for the entire TV if you launch the Amazon Music app first (TCL eARC -> Pioneer ARC). If you open a non-Amazon Music app first and then open Amazon Music, audio plays fine. Also, if you turn off the TV and back on after a bit and launch Amazon Music first, again no audio. Only fix is to restart the TV.

Since we have a Nvidia Shield and the Roku Amazon Music doesn't support HD/Ultra HD (which Shield does), I'll just uninstall the app for now. I doubt we'll use the Roku interface much anyway, since Roku won't pay for a MPEG license (which Channels DVR requires) anyway. Maybe when watching Disney+ or if we upgrade to Netflix 4k (since I have the 2017 Shield which doesn't support Dolby Vision (only the 2019 model does)).

0 Kudos
1 Reply
StreamerUser
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Amazon Music breaks audio output via ARC

TCL has the onus of licensing the IP the TV uses - not Roku (in fact, the RokuOS itself is licensed) - which includes the desired "MPEG" support.

FYI all MPEG2 patents have expired except in Malaysia, no license is needed anywhere else.

StreamerUser
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos