Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nomad07
Level 11

All Apps Quit To Home During Playback

All of my channels are quitting to Roku Home Screen during playback. This happens with Disney +, HBOmax, Boomerang, YouTube and basically all of the 50 of the channels I have installed. Sometimes as much 3 or 4 times during a 90 min program. 

This stated with the 2020 Ultra and it’s new firmware. It doesn’t happen on my older Roku hardware. So it’s not channel related. 

It’s either the new Roku Ultra hardware or since others are reporting similar issues with other models it’s likely the new Roku firmware. 

This has been happening for months now and the last update fixed nothing. 

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6\
Lou2k7
Level 8

Re: All Apps Quit To Home During Playback

Just got the new 2020 roku and its crashing back to the home screen for me also. All the channels I have tried seem to crash at some point. CBS Sports, Plex, Sling, Funimation, ESPN, Amazon.

Could be 15 mins into a show, or 60 mins. Watching and next you know your at the channels screen. No errors, no request to exit.

I have 3 other Roku's and this does not happen on any of them. I like the new 2020 ultra. Seems to have fix the static issue in my bar sound. But this crashing is driving us crazy.

Any Solutions? Got some beta code or something I can test?

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Hi @nomad07,

Thanks for the posts.

We'd like to gather more information about the issue you're running into. What Roku model device are you using? How are you powering the device? Is it plugged into the TV USB port, or is it plugged into the wall outlet with the provided cables? Have you tried removing the channels, restarting your device, and adding back the channels? 

With more information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,

Mary

0 Kudos
nomad07
Level 11

Good day,

Roku Ultra 2020 (latest) model

Plugged in direct to TV

Using provided HDMI

Using provided power supply, plugged into wall.

Restarted, Rebooted, Unplugged & plugged back in.

Removed apps, restarted, re-added.

Occurs across multiple apps.

Unit just had a firmware update.

Nothing seems to help.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@nomad07

Thanks for the update.

We would recommend trying to perform a manual update on your Roku device to see if you can update to the latest OS and see if you are still experiencing the issue you are reporting.

For more information about how to check for a manual update, visit our Support page here: How do I update the software on my Roku® streaming device?

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
RyanBlakeIT
Level 9

@nomad07 Did you try checking for a firmware update again?  I just checked today and received Software Version 9.4.1 build 4236-C2 for my Roku Ultra 4800.  This resolved the issues in one of the apps where it kept crashing and required me to reboot the Roku.

@RokuDanny-R Thank you for the suggestion to update the firmware as that resolved my issue.  I'm hopeful it resolves others issues as well.

Ryan Blake
Information Technology Management Professional
Lou2k7
Level 8

Thanks! New firmware seems to be helping me also. I got mine updated yesterday. Didn't have any issues last night.

Just a note, I had to go check for an update, and have it update now.  The roku was rebooted a few time but did not auto update. Not sure how often it will check and apply a new update after getting the last one.

But it seems to be working.

0 Kudos