Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Vineyardgray
Reel Rookie

AirPlay - Clicks and Pops

Hello All,

I am using a TCL Roku TV running the most recent software update.   Audio is being sent from the Roku TV via Toslink to my Grace M906 monitor controller.   All audio from Roku Apps appears to test fine.  

Audio sent via AirPlay has random clicks and pops (Apple Music or Sound Output Control panel; I've tried both methods).    The clicks and pops are not channel dependant (can be either left or right) and are not on any specific period that I can discern (random).   It isn't terrible; sort of like listening to a clean vinyl pressing or listening to music with a wood stove.   It shouldn't happen though, since the signal path is digital from Apple to the output of the Grace... 

Any thoughts would be appreciated. 

Regards,

Matt

Tags (1)
24 REPLIES 24
kazzed
Reel Rookie

Re: AirPlay - Clicks and Pops

I am having this same issue with a Roku Ultra.  I've tried lots of testing of different scenarios, different combinations of tech/audio gear, and I've concluded that this is specifically happening only when I use Airplay to the Roku.  Unfortunately I have yet to find a solution.

0 Kudos
dathead2
Roku Guru

Just to throw another data point in I have a Roku ultra 2018 model and don’t have any issues over AirPlay.   Everything I play over it is through the TuneIn app just because that’s where all my favorites live. Sometimes I do use YouTube over AirPlay too and again is fine. 

Roku Ultra 4660X
software-version 11.0.0
software-build 4193
Roku Media Player 5.5.13
0 Kudos
FallLine76
Reel Rookie

Same problem here. I actually have two Roku devices (an Ultra and Streaming Stick+), and they BOTH experience the same intermittent click/pop thing when used with Airplay from the Apple Music app, from either a MacBook Pro or my iPhone. The problem seems to exist whether I go through a newer Onkyo AV receiver, or an older Sony one. No such audio issues when using the Roku apps themselves.

I thought it might just be interference impacting my WiFi network, and Airplay perhaps being sensitive to that. However, I recently purchased a Vizio TV that also has Airplay built in, and that does NOT seem to have the same issue, when sending the audio through the same older Sony AV receiver mentioned earlier. I'm starting to think it might have something to do with Roku's implementation of Airplay.

I will say that it is WAY more noticeable with quieter music (classical or jazz). When playing something like a podcast from the Podcasts app via airplay, you can't really notice it at all over the constant talking/noise of a podcast.

user16
Reel Rookie

I am seeing the exact same issue. Very frustrating to me, it seems the only solution would be to get a different audio device (in my case a Roku TV.... so it would mean a new TV). Any solution would be appreciated?

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @user16,

Thanks for reaching out on Community. I'd be happy to take a closer look to see how we can help.

A few questions here to better understand what you're experiencing: Does the issue only occur on a specific channel or all channels on your Roku TV? Have you try to uninstall the Roku Mobile app and Install it back?

Notes: Please make sure that your Apple device and Roku device are on the same wireless network and make sure that your Roku TV is running Roku OS 10.0.

For additional information on this, you can take a look at this link: How do I use AirPlay and HomeKit with my Roku® streaming device? | Official Roku Support

Please keep us posted and we'll continue assisting you from there!

Kind regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
acowie
Channel Surfer

Also having this AirPlay occasional popping audio issue on a TCL Roku TV, software version 10.0, TV optical audio to a receiver. Internet connection is perfectly fine. Other Roku TV audio sources (apps, HDMI, etc) and other receiver inputs have no issue; it's clearly a specific problem with Roku's AirPlay implementation. Something messy going on behind the scenes with buffers or resampling is the hunch from my software engineering brain. 

Tags (1)
dathead2
Roku Guru

I have the same set up but I am on a Roku ultra and do not have a problem.  I mostly use it for TuneIn app  

I hate that Roku converts everything to 48K (and probably 16 bit too?) amazingly got through to tech-support once and they told me the reason was because 44.1 is not a standard ha ha

Roku Ultra 4660X
software-version 11.0.0
software-build 4193
Roku Media Player 5.5.13
0 Kudos
acowie
Channel Surfer

I'm going to try to download the TuneIn app and see if I can reproduce with that also and will edit this reply (edit: also getting pops from this app). maybe certain Roku devices like the ultra don't have this issue. Just to confirm @dathead2 are you using optical audio out?

0 Kudos
dathead2
Roku Guru

Yes am using optical audio out. Note my Roku does not have optical out though, I run the hdmi from Roku ultra to Sony tv and then digital optical out from tv to receiver. 

Roku Ultra 4660X
software-version 11.0.0
software-build 4193
Roku Media Player 5.5.13
0 Kudos