Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Linxys
Level 7

After update ROKU express wont screenmirror correctly with my phone

My phone (A71) connect fine, show the screen that my phone is on but then nothing. It stays on the initial screen and cast nothing else. Tried with another A71 and it does the same thing.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DBDukes
Level 16

Re: After update ROKU express wont screenmirror correctly with my phone

Which model Roku Express?

Settings > System > About 

DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Streambar (9102)
Roku Streaming Stick+ (3810)
0 Kudos
Linxys
Level 7

Model : 3930CA - Roku Express
Software version : 10.0.0 build 4185-AE

Phone : Galaxy A71UI : 3.1

Software version : Androi 11

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 16

That's the latest Roku Express model and should support mirroring. Note that Android devices use Miracast, I believe. That has been problematic in the past. However, as it did work with OS 9.4, it should still work.

It may be that @RokuDanny-R or @RokuMary-F will have to weigh in on this one. They've been tagged and will likely stop by soon.

DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Streambar (9102)
Roku Streaming Stick+ (3810)
StreamerUser
Level 16

@Linxys wrote:

My phone (A71) connect fine, show the screen that my phone is on but then nothing. It stays on the initial screen and cast nothing else. Tried with another A71 and it does the same thing.

@Linxys wrote:

Model : 3930CA - Roku Express
Software version : 10.0.0 build 4185-AE

Phone : Galaxy A71UI : 3.1

Software version : Androi 11

Have you restarted both the Roku and the phone(s)?

Not sure what you mean when you say it "show the screen my phone is on and then nothing. its stays on the initial screen and cast nothing else". Are you saying it successfully connects and mirrors whatever is on your phone's screen at the time of the connection, but doesnt update the mirrored image after that? So its just mirroring a "frozen" image on the Roku, even though you open apps or navigate the phone UI?

Its also not clear what you are saying updated - your Samsung A71 (to Android 11/OneUI 3.1), your Roku 3930 (to RokuOS 10), or both.

Additionally, first you mention mirroring, and then you mention casting.  Mirroring generally means the entire screen (remote display), whereas casting generally means within an app (remote control).   Are you trying to mirror (using SmartView), or are you trying to cast (from within an app, like NetFlix or YouTube)?

Assuming you are talking about mirroring using SmartView from your A71 (and not casting via an app, such as YT or NetFlix), this could well be a Miracast compatibility issue between the latest firmware update for your A71 (Android 11/One UI 3.1) and RokuOS10.

A similar issue happened a year ago with the release of RokuOS 9.3 and (recently updated at the time) Samsung phones/devices with Android 10/OneUI 2.x - they were unable to connect via screen mirroring to Roku devices that were connected using 2.4Ghz (which means not at all for single-band 2.4Ghz models like your 3930), though 5Ghz worked without issue.

Ultimately this was a RokuOS firmware bug that was fixed in 9.4

Make sure you report this directly to Roku (and Samsung):

chat or email:  https://support.roku.com/contactus/contact-options   (choose setup/ultra/other/need more help?)