Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SJ2
Level 8

Re: After ROKU update Amazon prime will only play audio and video is frozen Roku express

Jump to solution

Roku says to contact Amazon, and Amazon says they have never heard of this problem.   But many of us have now told Amazon.   So, I blame Roku for not fixing this.  It is their player that is not working, due to the bug from Amazon.  How can we get someone at Roku to contact Amazon and get this fixed?

0 Kudos
OkieInCO
Level 9

Re: After ROKU update Amazon prime will only play audio and video is frozen Roku express

Jump to solution

It doesn't sound like it's Amazon's problem at all (in fact, Amazon told me so when I contacted them for support). Roku's software has to comply with all the third party streaming services. So, the fact that Express+ doesn't work with Prime Video (but, does with other streaming services) tells me that Roku needs to figure out why their coding isn't working with Prime anymore. Add to that the fact that other posters have reconnected older devices, and they work with Prime, informs me as well that the issue is with Roku's latest update for the Express+.

SJ2
Level 8

Jump to solution

Cool.  It is on Roku to fix it then.  The interface did change, so it appears it was an upgrade by Amazon.  But it makes sense that the problem could be Roku.  How do we get them to fix it?

OkieInCO
Level 9

Jump to solution

Well, that's the million dollar question. I did find a Roku Support Twitter account, and they have their direct message feature turned on. So, I messaged them to let them know about the issue, and gave them a link to this thread.

Sadly, their response was brief and generic ("Hi there! We suggest contacting Amazon for assistance with the channel. We'll also forward your feedback to our team."), and also showed me they never looked at the thread because they told me to contact Amazon. So, I wrote back and told them I was disappointed they didn't even read the thread, and that Amazon said the problem was on Roku's end.

So, I'd suggest everyone who joins this thread direct message Roku Support at https://twitter.com/RokuSupport but, not tweet them. Tweeting does no good. Only direct messages work.

I'm going to add that to my original post, and maybe the more people who message them will light a fire under them.

bison257
Level 7

Jump to solution

I switched back to my previous Roku player, & Amazon Prime video plays fine.

0 Kudos
SJ2
Level 8

Jump to solution

Interesting.  I had the original Roku, so I can't really use it anymore.  I eventually got a message that essentially said, Dude, nobody has the first Roku anymore and you have to upgrade now!

0 Kudos
violet303
Level 9

Jump to solution

I just went to the Roku Twitter page (https://twitter.com/RokuSupport) and sent them a message as suggested by OkieInCO. About ready to give up and buy a Firestick.

0 Kudos
Suegeg3
Level 8

Jump to solution

Same issue here. I've attempted several different "fixes":

1. I rebooted Roku Express+ through system settings.
  2. I've done a hard reboot of Roku Express+, unplugging it for 30 seconds, then plugging it back in.
  3. I've done a hard system reset, first unplug tv, roku, router for2 minutes. Then replug router, tv, roku,
  4. I deleted Prime Video channel, and added it back.
  5. I deleted Prime Video channel, rebooted Roku, then added channel back.
  6. I changed TV display settings to various screen sizes (even though I hadn't changed it, prior to having problems with Prime video streaming).
  7. I tried other streaming services (e.g. Roku channel, Netflix, etc.), and had no problem streaming videos on their channels.
  8. Prime Video works on my laptop, so it's not my account and other streaming channels work with the Roku.
  9. I contacted Amazon support through chat, and after running diagnostics, and chatting with 3 different techs for over 2 hours, the chat froze and I lost the connection!!!!!!

After trying all the above, we're still having issues with Prime videos displaying, even though the audio plays. The first indication that there was a problem is that the buffering spinner freezes. Then, while the screen stays stuck on the video menu, the audio starts playing.

Basically, I've taken all possible means to fix this, and nothing works. So, it certainly looks like a bug with the last Roku update.

This issue is extremely frustrating!!!!

Now, how can we get their attention about this issue?

SJ2
Level 8

Jump to solution

Does Roku monitor these messages?  I had no idea they had no customer service.  It is impossible to contact them.  

0 Kudos
OkieInCO
Level 9

Jump to solution

I don't know if they monitor this forum, and was unable to find a customer service number or form page. The one thing I did find was a Roku Support Twitter account (@RokuSupport), with direct messaging enabled. So, please submit your issue there. I got a canned response, but I figure the "squeaky wheel will get the oil," if everyone starts direct messaging them about this issue. 

0 Kudos