Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

After ROKU update Amazon prime will only play audio and video is frozen Roku express

Jump to solution

After my ROKU express updated Amazon Prime will not play video but audio plays.  I tried unplugging device for five minutes plug ed back in.  Tried reinstalling the app.  Internet connection is good.  I'ts a software issue because Amazon prime plays just fine on my old ROKU 2.  Tried updating software and the device was already up to date.  Any suggestions?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: After ROKU update Amazon prime will only play audio and video is frozen Roku express

Jump to solution

UPDATE: RESOLVED

Thanks for reporting this issue. Amazon has rolled back their channel update and we believe the issue is now resolved. If you're still seeing a problem during playback, try restarting your player or checking for a system update. Please send us a PM here if you're still seeing frozen video during playback after checking for a system update and restarting your player. Thanks!

Previous

We are actively investigating and would like to gather more details from folks who may be experiencing video loss on the Prime Video channel.

Please send me a PM directly, and include:

- Your Roku device ID, software version, and build (all found under Home > Settings > System > About).

- The Prime Video channel version (highlight Prime Video from your home screen and press the * button on your Roku remote to see the channel info).

- A brief description of what you are seeing or hearing.

- If possible, please also grab a tracker ID so our engineering team can take a peek. To get a tracker ID, launch the channel and wait for the problem to present itself. Then, using the Roku remote, press Home 5x and Back (next to Home) 5x in quick succession. If you're successful, you'll see a Tracker ID displayed. Please add the Tracker ID in your PM. If you aren't able to generate a Tracker ID, no problem, please submit your feedback with as much of the other information as possible.

Thank you! We hope to get this resolved quickly.

View solution in original post

77 Replies
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: After ROKU update Amazon prime will only play audio and video is frozen Roku express

Jump to solution

Same problem with me.  My old roku 2 works fine.  new roku express gets no video.  Only fails on amazon.

Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

Final Update (6.16.20)

You might have missed the updated status from @RokuAustin. They rolled back the update to version 9.3.0, build 4170 from version 9.3.0, build 4170-51. That's why we're all now able to stream Prime Videos (and not just audio). So, kudos to @RokuAustin for getting this fixed so quickly. With over 32 million active users, I'm pretty amazed they'd roll back an update, to cater to what I'm sure is a proportionately small number of users who bought the Express+ because their TVs don't have an HDMI port. Anyhoo, way to go @RokuAustin!!

Update (6.14.20)

Please follow the Community Manager's instructions, above. Your responses should help escalate this and get it resolved. Don't answer in this thread, though. Private Message him, as he requested, with the information he asked for. Hopefully, they'll be able to resolve this quickly.

Update (6.13.20)

I'd suggest everyone who joins this thread direct message Roku Support at https://twitter.com/RokuSupport. They have direct messaging turned on. But, don't tweet them. Tweeting does no good. Only direct messages work. Describe the issue to them, and tell them it's a critical issue.

Their response to my message (that included the URL for this thread) was pretty generic and disappointing ("Hi there! We suggest contacting Amazon for assistance with the channel. We'll also forward your feedback to our team."), and showed they didn't read these posts. If they had, they would have known I already contacted Amazon, and that Amazon says it's a Roku issue.

Hopefully, if enough of us report it, it'll get some attention. Make sure you include a link to this thread, so they can see others who are posting here.

-----

Same issue here. I've attempted several different "fixes":

1. I rebooted Roku Express+ through system settings.
  2. I've done a hard reboot of Roku Express+, unplugging it for 30 seconds, then plugging it back in.
  3. I cleared the Roku cache (https://www.cactusvpn.com/tutorials/how-to-clear-cache-on-roku/)
  4. I deleted Prime Video channel, and added it back.
  5. I deleted Prime Video channel, rebooted Roku, then added channel back.
  6. I changed TV display settings to various screen sizes (even though I hadn't changed it, prior to having problems with Prime video streaming).
  7. I tried other streaming services (e.g. Roku channel, Redbox, etc.), and had no problem streaming videos on their channels.
  8. I contacted Amazon support through chat, and after running diagnostics, they told me the issue isn't on their side, it's on Roku's side.

After trying all the above, we're still having issues with Prime videos displaying, even though the audio plays. The first indication that there was a problem is that the buffering spinner freezes. Then, while the screen stays stuck on the video menu, the audio starts playing.

Basically, I've taken all possible means to fix this, and nothing works. So, it certainly looks like a bug with the last Roku update.

Now, how can we get their attention about this issue?

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

I am having the same problem and I have followed the same troubleshooting steps but that did not correct the problem. I have a Roku Express + and I checked this morning (June 11, 2020) and the problem still exists. I hope Roku gets the software fixed soon or else provides an update.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

I have this same problem. I tried all the "fixes" above and even did a factory reset but Prime is still audio only. I hope Roku can update this with a bug fix asap.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Roku doesn't give a sh_t

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Replaced my current Roku with my older one.  Amazon Prime works fine on that one.  I connect via RCA cables.  Getting an HD MI converter to RCA for my latest Roku, to see if that works.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Tried multiple last Roku player, video works fine.  For my newest player, I connect via RCA cables. Am getting an HD MI converter to RCA for my latest player, see if that works.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I am also experiencing this since the June 4th update on my Express+. We have an ancient Panasonic display - wondering if this is some kind of content protection issue introduced in the latest update.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I am having the same problem! It is only playing the audio when using Prime video.  Tried rebooting and re-installing the channel but it is still not fixed.

0 Kudos