Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Ads Causing Multiple Channels to Zoom In

After the June 11th 2020 update, my Roku has caused multiple channels (Hulu, YouTubetv) to have the same issue:

Before and during ad breaks everything is normal until it almost gets to the end and cuts out early. After this, my show comes back zoomed in. If I back out and come back in to the channel the problem happens again.

No, my TV doesn't have an aspect ratio setting that would cause this turned on.

Yes, I unplugged the Roku and left it off before 10 seconds before restarting it.

Is this a glitch with the recent update? I am out of problem solving solutions. And it is multiple channels so I don't think reinstalling the channels makes sense. This seems like a Roku thing.

57 Replies
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Ads Causing Multiple Channels to Zoom In

I have this same problem but with Hulu only, youtube.tv works fine.

Highlighted
Level 7

Mine is doing this too! Please help! It’s really annoying! 

Highlighted
Level 7

Same problem for several days! Experiencing on Hulu.

Highlighted
Level 8

Having this problem in Hulu as well.  Reboots and deleting then reloading the channel not working.

Highlighted
Level 7

Same issue here: ads cut off the end of a scene, ads end early, and the whole thing is zoomed in (but not the TV station overlay - i.e. the NBC peacock - or the subtitles). It's driving us nutty.

Highlighted
Level 12

Argh... 

This is very likely an HDMI handshake issue during resolution scaling or resolution change between the Roku with your TV's HDMI firmware implementation.  Please post your exact TV make and full model numbers and contact Roku support.

https://support.roku.com/contactus

Note I am NOT a Roku employee nor have I ever been one though I have contributed to the development of various electronic devices including streaming devices over the decades of my hardware and software engineering career. 

TheTick (aka "Moose Twit" affectionately called by chht)
Roku 3 for Pokémon TV / YouTube / Animal Planet GO / HBO GO. Chromecast for most other media because Roku Mirroring sucks , how many clicks in Wndows 10 (about a dozen) to Miracast on Roku vs 2 with Chromecast.
Verizon FIOS TV and Internet Service
Highlighted
Level 7

I have this exact problem! It's become so frustrating having to reset the Roku, I'm considering just tossing the ones I have and going to a Fire Stick.

I like the live TV, but the commercials are the problem. What device would you choose if you were going to dump Roku?

Highlighted

Same problem. When ad is 12-10 seconds to completion the screen goes black and then at about 2 seconds left it comes back on, but is now zoomed in and off center for the remainder of the show I'm watching. I have occasionally been able to back out of the show and then resume, but that takes me to an earlier part the show. If I then fast forward to where I should have been after the ad that caused the problem it'll sometimes be normal.

This is a Roku problem only, as my FireStick works just fine.

I tried calling support, but they are not taking calls due to the virus. I hope they check these message boards. Otherwise, this may never get fixed!

Highlighted

I like the Fire Stick myself. The only reason why I also have the Roku Express is to get the Charter Spectrum app.