Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
darylc

AVR HDMI Passthrough

I have a Yamaha AVR that has HDMI passthrough when the unit is on standby.  I connect all of my HDMI devices to the AVR, then the AVR goes out to the TV.  This enables me to listen to audio from any of my connected devices through the TV when the AVR is off,  or through the AVR in surround when it's powered on. 

If I connect the ROKU ultra to the AVR, it plays fine when I power on the AVR and select the channel it's on. But, it does not pass the signal (video or audio) through to the TV when the AVR is powered off. 

I've seen plenty of posts about audio pass through issues common on AVR, but did not find any information on how to address this particular issue?  I ended up just connecting the roku to the TV but I miss having surround.  Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: AVR HDMI Passthrough

@darylc wrote:

I have a Yamaha AVR that has HDMI passthrough when the unit is on standby.  I connect all of my HDMI devices to the AVR, then the AVR goes out to the TV.  This enables me to listen to audio from any of my connected devices through the TV when the AVR is off,  or through the AVR in surround when it's powered on. 

If I connect the ROKU ultra to the AVR, it plays fine when I power on the AVR and select the channel it's on. But, it does not pass the signal (video or audio) through to the TV when the AVR is powered off. 

I've seen plenty of posts about audio pass through issues common on AVR, but did not find any information on how to address this particular issue?  I ended up just connecting the roku to the TV but I miss having surround.  Any thoughts?

I know my Yamaha AVRs will passthrough something connected via HDMI when powered off. But I'm sure there is a menu setting in the Yamaha to enable it. If you are saying it's working for other devices, but not the Roku, I can't provide an answer to that. 

I just tried it with my Ultra. I made sure the AVR was off, and yes I had video and the audio came out of the TV. If I power up the AVR, the screen will blank while the HDMI handshake occurs, then the video resumes with the audio now via the AVR. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
batimanar
Reel Rookie

Re: AVR HDMI Passthrough not connecting

Most AVRs do not get the sound through HDMI connection - unless you have a very recent AVR. Roku Ultra - not sure which model - that has the optical output which you connect to the AVR.

0 Kudos
atc98092

@batimanar wrote:

Most AVRs do not get the sound through HDMI connection - unless you have a very recent AVR. 

I'm not sure where you're getting that. By definition an Audio/Video Receiver has HDMI inputs, and will absolutely get the audio from those inputs. If it doesn't have HDMI inputs, it's not an AVR. It's simply a receiver. 

Dan

0 Kudos
batimanar
Reel Rookie

If your AVR is older than 2015, then yes. The HDMI ports on these do not convert audio

0 Kudos
atc98092

I've had AVRs older than 2015, and as long as they had HDMI inputs they could play the audio from those connections. There's no year "cutoff" for when an AVR would play audio from HDMI. 

Dan

0 Kudos
ChuckC59

My issue is just slightly different.  I'm getting video while in standby mode but no audio.  Works great when the receiver is on via the surround system.  I'm connected to the TV via high-speed HDMI ARC.

Roku Streaming Stick +

Denon AVR-X1700H

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

I bought my AVR in 2008 and it gets audio from HDMI just fine.  As for no sound when the AVR is off: Is the TV set to produce any sound?  I ask because mine is NOT. (I don’t want the cheesy TV speakers mixed in with the good speakers.)

0 Kudos