Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

ATMOS issues: is it Roku or is it NetFlix / Amazon Prime ???

Jump to solution

There are a number of posts calling on Roku to fix the lack of Atmos on Netflix and Amazon Prime. I don't get Atmos from either service but I do get it from Disney+

I spent about an hour on a support call to Netflix a couple of days ago and the concluded my setup is not compatible - they had no response to my, "but it works seamlessly with Disney+, I don't need a higher subscription for extra money (Netflix), I don't need to search for multiple versions of the show (Amazon) - it just works. Available shows display the Atmos flag, and the Amplifier displays, "Dolby Atmos" while playing"

I have a feeling that they are tying UHD video to UHD audio if you don't have 4K video you won't get Atmos.

Roku Ultra
Integra Amplifier
Sony Projector
All device connections are HDMI
Internet is Ethernet with CenturyLink 1GB service

Seems to me that Netflix & Amazon need to upgrade their services to support capable configurations. I intend to post this comment as a support ticket on both platforms.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: ATMOS issues: is it Roku or is it NetFlix / Amazon Prime ???

Jump to solution
Yippie Skippy I got this to work!!!

I added an EZCOO scaler (https://www.easycoolav.com/4k60-hdmi-splitter-1x2-dolby-vision-hdr-scaler-output-from-4k-to-1080p-ed...) also available on Amazon for about $30 as follows:
  • From Roku to EZCOO input (EDID set to 4K)
  • From EZCOO output (either 1 or 2 works, I am not driving two screens) with Scaler switch ON to Amplifier HDMI input
  • In Roku set up select Display 4K 60 (two options, both seem to work)
voilà - ATMOS output with picture scaled to 1080p (all my projector can handle) works for both VUDU and Amazon Prime (extremely limited menu of titles)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted

Jump to solution
Yippie Skippy I got this to work!!!

I added an EZCOO scaler (https://www.easycoolav.com/4k60-hdmi-splitter-1x2-dolby-vision-hdr-scaler-output-from-4k-to-1080p-ed...) also available on Amazon for about $30 as follows:
  • From Roku to EZCOO input (EDID set to 4K)
  • From EZCOO output (either 1 or 2 works, I am not driving two screens) with Scaler switch ON to Amplifier HDMI input
  • In Roku set up select Display 4K 60 (two options, both seem to work)
voilà - ATMOS output with picture scaled to 1080p (all my projector can handle) works for both VUDU and Amazon Prime (extremely limited menu of titles)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

It is Netflix due to how they transmit Dolby Atmos audio. Rather than send it as metadata embedded within a Dolby Digital + audio stream (which is how Prime Video, Vudu, Movies Anywhere, and Apple TV transmit Dolby Atmos) as pass-thorugh audio to your receiver, Netflix wants the streaming device to decode the audio and send as PCM + Atoms to your receiver.

0 Kudos