Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bubba_gump
Level 8

AT&T TV Now dvr video buffers, restarts, and eventually stops

I have had buffering issues playing AT&T TV Now DVR recorded videos with a roku 3800x for at least two weeks.   I have tried restarting all the components and this issue remains.  I've tried all the "restarting/resetting" components and nothing has solved the problem. I have restarted my cable modem, router, reset/updated roku, reinstalled AT&T TV app on roku, and reset the AT&T TV Now account. Router is within 5 feet of roku so "moving closer" does not seem reasonable. Internet service is 100Mbps and Roku says internet is "excellent".  Roku "check connection" reports around 80 Mbps consistently.   The "live" streaming has been rock solid with no buffering.   The WiFi signal seems to be consistently strong.

Buffering is ONLY occurring replaying the recorded videos on AT&T TV Now. It will buffer a few seconds (5-10), play for a few seconds (10 or so), buffer a few seconds, play a few, and then buffers until I get the "OOPs there is a problem..."   In some instances, it will randomly restart the video from the beginning.  This behavior is very repeatable, so it seems to me to be pointing at the roku software and not the data stream.  I don't know. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

0 Kudos
16 REPLIES 16\
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: AT&T TV Now dvr video buffers, restarts, and eventually stops

Roku has no recording capabilities.  For those channels offering a DVR, the recording and playback is strictly on the channel's servers and their distribution network.  In the case of AT&T TV Now, this is all at AT&T's end.  That's who you need to contact for help with this.

Doug
Roku Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X | Roku Streaming Stick 3600

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, just a user like you.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution."
0 Kudos
bubba_gump
Level 8

Thanks for your reply, but it's not so clear.  The AT&T TV Now DVR videos play without buffering on a windows laptop and android tablets.  I'm thinking that those have smaller bandwidths, but there is no buffering.  I also tried changing the television resolution from 1080p to 720p with the roku, but that did not improve the buffering behavior.  I'd expect that if it were a download speed that it would have improved with that change.    It really seems like roku and AT&T TV Now DVR videos are not working together smoothly.  I am also working this through the AT&T community.  Do you have any thoughts? Thanks again for your response.

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

In a way I really feel for these channel developers. They have to create versions of their apps to work on the operating systems for each type of device on which they want to run. The fact that they've got apps that work on one or more systems doesn't mean they haven't got something screwed up on another. It's sort of like a program whose Apple version runs well but whose Windows version has problems, or vice versa.
Doug
Roku Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X | Roku Streaming Stick 3600

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, just a user like you.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution."
0 Kudos
amandadooley10
Level 7

I’ve been having the same problem with my Roku on AT&T TV recordings for the past week. Excellent signal and the router is within a couple of feet from Roku box. It streams live TV with no issues, but the moment I start a recorded show, buffers, restarts, buffers, etc. Won’t allow me to watch any recordings even if I try to fast forward it buffers and won’t play. I only have this issue with my Roku. I can play the same recordings on my phone or laptop with no issues whatsoever. It’s only on AT&T. Plays Netflix and all other apps with no issues. What’s the deal?

0 Kudos
Matthew3
Level 7

I have the same issue and spent 30 minutes chatting with AT&T TV support. I got escalated to a manager who said he had tech support try the DVR shows I mentioned on a Roku and they had no issues. He said there was nothing else they could do. It’s also working fine on my laptop and phone. May be time to switch providers. 

0 Kudos
RickT
Level 7

Am having the same issues with the AT&T TV DVR buffering, restarts, with the Roku Ultra. Swapped out the Roku with a Amazon FireStick and the problem disappears.

Matthew3
Level 7

Thanks. I’m planning to switch back to my Fire Stick, too. I had switched to Roku about 6 months ago because of issues with the AT&T app on Fire Stick LOL. 

0 Kudos
JillG
Level 7

I’ve been having the same issue. I can watch on demand or stream live tv, but cannot watch recorded shows. It only does this on one out of the three Rokus in our house. It also works fine on my laptop and phone.  

0 Kudos
Joxes
Level 7

Same issue. Used Roku and AT&T TV Now for than a year without an issue. Now when I want to play a show on the dvr, after few secs I see the wheel on the screen and after a minute the message saying that maybe there is an issue with my network and buffering. I have 200mbs of bandwidth. Chatted and got called back by AT&T they said that the account looks good and they do not see any issues with the DVR. So I bought an Apple TV and never faced the issue. I tried to remove the app from my Roku, reset the Roku, reset the App same issue. If I recall well this issue started to happen maybe 4 months ago. Roku and AT&T pushed an update almost the same day. I tried other services like Hulu, and Fubo. Services work fine. So I think there is an issue with AT&T Roku app. I'm not pointing any fingers but they now have AT&T TV. You have to take a 2 years plan. Is AT&T decided to pull the plug on the money losing AT&T TV Now so unhappy customers would switch to a 2 years plan? I would not be surprised if it is the case. I read somewhere that AT&T will stop developing new features and will just working on maintaining the service.

0 Kudos