Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Streams
Level 7

A question about movie aspect ratio

This isn’t about the Roku specifically.

I am watching the movie “How It Ends” which is a Netflix original film.  The vast majority of Netflix viewing in on 16:9 displays.  These movies aren’t shown in theaters.

So why did Netflix film it in widescreen which puts a black bar above and below it?  What benefit is it to Netflix?
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Basil
Level 10

Re: A question about movie aspect ratio

"Streams" wrote:
This isn’t about the Roku specifically.

I am watching the movie “How It Ends” which is a Netflix original film.  The vast majority of Netflix viewing in on 16:9 displays.  These movies aren’t shown in theaters.

So why did Netflix film it in widescreen which puts a black bar above and below it?  What benefit is it to Netflix?

Your best bet is to ask Netflix. If you just want SWAG, here's one: it was intended for theaters, but before release, they realized it's a direct-to-video/streaming quality film.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Level 10

.. or sometimes films going into the secondary markets in the US (sold to streaming services or direct-to-disk) are sold as theatrical releases in other countries.
Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi connected - Samsung UN55ES6100
Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi connected - JVC EM37T
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"makaiguy" wrote:
.. or sometimes films going into the secondary markets in the US (sold to streaming services or direct-to-disk) are sold as theatrical releases in other countries.

That's a log better'n what I had.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
DubTaylor
Level 10

Somewhere up the chain (where normal thinking humans fear to tread) executives had a secret meeting and decided to change things around a bit (these are the guys that put Firefly out of order - and killed it dead in one season).

or:

http://vashivisuals.com/the-hot-new-fil ... ect-ratio/

Turns out 2:1 actually started back in 1998 as a 'happy compromise' between Digital TV and Super-Duper Widescreen.

Personally I turn down the lights a bit/stopped watching the bars in favor of the content... after a while you stop worrying about bars that may or may not border the content. I'd also prefer to have bars than stretch Bogart and Bergman so badly they appear to be Barr and Arnold. <--- if that doesn't scare the bejebus out of you... it should!

lol

Some quality time with Google will turn up a wealth of useless information along with some information that (kinda) makes sense. As display manufacturers change things trying to create chaos (and a niche market for their products) content creators needed a middle ground (or thought they did) and decided 2:1 was best... or The Executives have scrambled into action to fix something that isn't really broke. It is what it is and there's (very likely) no going back, so get used to it. 
0 Kudos
Streams
Level 7

It's not that I stare at the black bars, it just seems odd to use a product inefficiently.  There is a screen real estate that can be used, but it isn't.  

I understood in the past why it was like that, but I was curious why a movie that Netflix made for their own service, which is overwhelmingly used in16:9, would use a different aspect ratio.  

I appreciate the suggestions why, such as going into theatrical releases in other countries.  I just wish they put us first lol
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Level 10

I think a lot of Netflix and Amazon "original programming" wasn't originally programmed for them at all, but was purchased by them post-production.
Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi connected - Samsung UN55ES6100
Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi connected - JVC EM37T
0 Kudos