Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
iosman123
Level 7

A minor issue

Hello,

I really like my Roku- easy to setup, plenty of high-end connections, simple and easy to use interface- all in clean and simple housing with a small footprint. 

Picture quality is good considering this is video streaming though several walls of my house. 

BUT, one issue I have is that my unit looses audio completely if its been sitting unused for a few hours. I have to un-plug and re-plug each time I want to use it w/ sound. 

This only does it on the audio from the HDMI. I tried different cables and made sure the TV (Westinghouse 1080p LCD) was set to HDMI audio on that input. 

The RCA audio out works fine and always sends audio correctly to the receiver (with occasional pops). use the receiver to watch Netflix unless its a big action movie. So for now I have to reach in each day & re-plug the unit to hear sound from the TV.

I know that this is the first generation of this unit, and early adopters deal with bugs (but will hopefully will be resolved soon). Even with its sound issues, the price to benefits ratio makes this purchase a no-brainer. With that said I give the Roku box 4.5 out of 5

thanks
iosman
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Heyitsrick
Level 10

Re: A minor issue

Questions:

What receiver make/model?
What Roku model?

Roku is connected directly to the receiver? Sounds like it's going to the TV.  Why not directly to the receiver?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
thetick
Level 8

Re: A minor issue

Try a different ...new from the package HDMI cable between your Roku and the TV.  
Most likely the HDMI handshake is intermittently failing due to a poorly made HDMI cable.

Also make sure you have the most recent firmware on your TV and the most recent Roku firmware.
TheTick
Roku 3 for Pokémon TV / YouTube
PC / Chromecast for all other media because Roku Mirroring sucks and and the every day re-authenticating via PC required with the Roku.
Verizon FIOS
0 Kudos