Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

A few bugs since updating to 9.4

I've been using the Roku Premiere for about a couple of months now. I'm happy with it for the most part, but a couple of rather frustrating bugs I've noticed.. one that has been brought up many times, with no fix in sight.

I use Plex for the most part, as I have my own server that I like to stream from. I find that the Roku plays Plex media with little to no issue. Video-wise, it's great. I think the update may have even fixed the bug where some videos would start out glitchy for a second or so (only happened on Direct Play and not transcoded media). Audio, some have reported sync issues, but I haven't experienced that myself. What I have noticed, though, is music...any song I play, it cuts off the first second or so. I also have Plex running on an Amazon Fire Stick and my phone (Android). This bug doesn't happen on any of those devices; only the Roku Premiere. The previous version of the Roku software did not have this issue at all, so it definitely started when I updated to 9.4.

The other bug is the one that gets mentioned a lot: the first couple of seconds on every video on YouTube plays super fast. Funny enough, on the previous software version, it only happened sometimes. Since 9.4, it's happened on every single video, including ads. Somehow, the update made things worse and not better. I've tried removing the channels, adding them again, restarting the device, etc. with no luck.

Again, for the most part, I really enjoy my Roku device...I even ordered a second one for a different room in the same house. But updates are supposed to improve performance, not make things worse. Instead, I'm experiencing 1 step forward, 2 steps back.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Level 8

Re: A few bugs since updating to 9.4

There are definitely issues with the 9.4.0 update.  I have 5 Roku devices (4 sticks and one TV).  Of those 5, the TV and one stick are having issues.  Neither of the devices are now able to stream YouTubeTV.  I noticed that  the devices have different version of the 9.4 build.  Failing devices have Build 4190-13 and 4190-24.  All other devices have a build versions at 4190-28 or 4190-50.

All of my issues started after the 9.4 update around middle of November.  All devices were working flawlessly without issue prior to  the updates.

0 Kudos
Level 9

@dave2967 wrote:

There are definitely issues with the 9.4.0 update.  All of my issues started after the 9.4 update around middle of November.  All devices were working flawlessly without issue prior to  the updates.

As were mine. My Premiere+ is now a disaster where it will not wake up or initialize an HDMI handshake when used with specific gear here. Was working perfectly with 9.3.0 (and prior)

Hoping that Roku is paying attention and will address these issues as quickly as possible. Oddly - I do not see what 9.4.0 brings to the table in terms of "better" - this release seemed to make my dependable  little streamer into a paperweight.

Sonic.

Level 21

@dave2967 wrote:

I noticed that  the devices have different version of the 9.4 build. 

I think (or at least I always thought) that the two digit suffix after the build number is an indication of the device and not really a different build.  Since you have 5 devices you could verify this.  Do they all have different model numbers or do you have two that have the same model number but a different suffix?

0 Kudos
Level 9

@renojim wrote:

@dave2967 wrote:

I noticed that  the devices have different version of the 9.4 build. 

I think (or at least I always thought) that the two digit suffix after the build number is an indication of the device and not really a different build.  Since you have 5 devices you could verify this.  Do they all have different model numbers or do you have two that have the same model number but a different suffix?

For my Premiere+ - I took a snapshot of the system screen on Nov 2 and see 

9.4.0 (Build 4183-29)

Then in another photo from Nov 11 - I see:

9.4.0. (Build 4190-29)

So yes - you may be right - perhaps "29" is in reference to the Premiere + device?

Sonic.

0 Kudos
Level 9

Ever since my Roku Express+ 3910 RW updated to software version 9.4.0 about a month ago, the audio is out of sync on several channels, including the Roku Channel and Amazon Prime Video, among others. Many others seem to have the same sync issue on other Roku devices, but there has been no response or fix from Roku. I'm using the device with a traditional TV via the composite AV input.  Why no response from Roku? Is it possible to roll-back to an earlier version? 

0 Kudos
Level 9

@nv1 wrote:

Ever since my Roku Express+ 3910 RW updated to software version 9.4.0 about a month ago, the audio is out of sync on several channels, including the Roku Channel and Amazon Prime Video, among others. Many others seem to have the same sync issue on other Roku devices, but there has been no response or fix from Roku. I'm using the device with a traditional TV via the composite AV input.  Why no response from Roku? Is it possible to roll-back to an earlier version? 

Like Apple - I would not expect any huge explanations or apologies from Roku on their brutal 9.4.0 rollout. I have to assume they have to know by now that this sad release put many working boxes into chaos - and I truly hope they are doing something about it.

But also like Apple - Roku looks like it's all about "forward" and never back. I think there was a tiny opportunity to roll back for maybe a day or two after 9.4.0 landed on your device - but that would only buy you time until the next release comes down the pipe and installs itself over top of a perfectly fine 9.3.0 (or whatever was available to roll back to circa Nov 12, 2020).

These guys are clearly super headstrong and as I am finding out - have very very poor support. 

Here's hoping there is a 9.5.0 or something coming - it can't come fast enough for some of us.

Sonic.

Level 7

As you stated, very, very poor support should be consider a compliment.

0 Kudos