Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2kcj
Level 7

9.4 update created a blanks screen/no sound every 17 seconds on my TCL TV

Since the update, the video and sound will go out for about 1 second every 17 seconds. If I unplug the HDMI cable and plug it back in, it will work fine. After that, if the TV is shut off, or if I switch inputs and come back, it starts all over again. I've tried changing the HDMI compatibility to the lowest offered, still no different. Never had this problem before, and only started the day after the update. I'm assuming it has something to do with syncing the HDMI or HDCP, but not sure. It's VERY frustrating!

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
makaiguy
Level 21

Re: 9.4 update created a blanks screen/no sound every 17 seconds on my TCL TV

This is a TCL set that does NOT have Roku built in, right?  

For a quick recovery, try just changing the TV to a different HDMI port and back to the one your Roku is connected to.  That should force a new exchange of information ("handshake") between the TV and the Roku and would be faster than physically unplugging/replugging the HDMI connection.  It's also a lot easier on the port connectors.

To try to eliminate the problem rather than just recover from it, the first thing I would try is to restart the tv:  Settings > System > System restart (or on a Roku TV, Settings > System > Power > System restart).

Other things to try if that doesn't fix it:

Force a software update check: System > System update > Check now.   At the very least, this should get you the latest versions of your channel apps.

• If it returns that a new Roku version is available, tell it to go ahead.  When it finishes the update and returns to operation, run the check again.  I always do this after a manual Roku software update to make sure all the channel apps that need to be mopdified for the new Roku version get updated.

If that didn't fix it, I'd next try pulling the power plug for a minute or so then plug it back in.

If all this fails, you can do a factory reset to completely wipe the Roku's memory via Settings > System > Advanced system settings > Factory reset.  Save this as a last resort as you'll be setting the Roku up all over again from scratch, including linking it to your Roku account and logging back into any channels whose subscriptions require logins.

• IMPORTANT! When linking your device you may be directed to go to roku.com/link. Type this in very carefully and verify that you actually do go there. Otherwise you can end up at a scammer's fake Roku site where they may request you to pay bogus charges and will collect your payment information to use as they wish. If you end up at ANY site not on roku.com (other than the https://my.roku.com/link that you'll get redirected to), back out and try again.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
2kcj
Level 7

This actually is a TCL TV with Roku built in. 

I've tried everything except wiping the settings - primarily because I know I never had this issue until the latest software update. Something changed and I hope it gets fixed so I don't have to wipe out my settings and redo the whole thing. None of the suggestions worked, but I do appreciate the response. I'm hoping there is a simple software fix for this soon - it's very frustrating. 

Here is my setup:

Roku TV   7137X
TCL Model   75S423
Software version   9.4.0 Build 4190-30
HDMI cables are less than one year old, high quality cables compatible with HDMI 2.0.

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Level 21

I'm confused.  If this is a Roku TV, what do HDMI cables have to do with it?  Is the problem when viewing something from some other device connected to the TV via HDMI?

0 Kudos
2kcj
Level 7

Yes it's when switching to any hdmi source from a non hdmi (such as streaming apps). In this case, if I'm watching satellite, then switch to a streaming app, then back to satellite, the problem appears. It won't go away until I unplug and reinsert the hdmi cable. Same if I go to the Blu-ray hdmi. Once I fix it, the problem only reappears if I turn off the TV and back on, or if I switch to another source and back again.

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Level 21

That's certainly a weird one.

I've had no similar issues with the TCL Roku TV listed in my sig below.  It received Roku 9.4.0 a couple of weeks ago.  It has a Directv receiver connected to it via HDMI and we switch in and out of it all the time with no hitches.

Wish I could help, but I've already given you whatever suggestions I'd know to try.

0 Kudos
2kcj
Level 7

@makaiguy, thanks for trying. If it wasn't for the fact that it started happening the very next morning after the update, I might suspect something else, but this is too much of a coincidence. Do you happen to know if there's a way to download a previous version and sideload it?

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Level 21

See this post from @RokuJim; https://community.roku.com/t5/Roku-Device-Features-Settings-Updates/Downgrading-Updates/m-p/519342#M...

If this procedure offers you 9.3 you can go back to it but no telling how long before it auto updates back to 9.4.  I've never tried this myself, but I've read you can only use it once for a given software release.

0 Kudos
2kcj
Level 7

So, the software update ended up being the problem, the latest update from a couple days ago solved it. I had even called into Roku support and they said there were some issues with the last update, and they were working on fixing them. If took what seemed like forever, but they did at least fix this issue.

0 Kudos