Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SonicMojo
Level 9

9.4.0 (build 4190-29) Update destroys Premiere+ Auto Detection

All

Currently using a Roku Premiere+ (4630X 9.4.0 Build 4190-29) that up to last week was behaving perfectly with the following gear:

2020 Marantz SR5015

2019 Samsung Q6FN (4K 60hz)

2014 Epson Home Cinema 3020 (1080p)

2014 Harmony Touch

Using the Harmony - the Roku is part of two key activities - "Watch Roku (TV)" and Watch Roku (Big screen). The TV activity WAS great to mid last week - the ROKU would fire up and auto detect my Marantz AVR HDMI capability (4K Enhanced) and I would see the following under Display Type: (using Auto Detect):

4K HRD10 @ 60hz HDCP 2.2

This is correct setting for optimal video using the new Marantz AVR and the Samsung Q6FN

Then (as of last week) if I switched activities to Watch Roku (Big Screen) - the Epson, Marantz and Roku would fire up and I would see the following under Display Type: (using Auto Detect):

1080p (HDCP 1.4)

Which jives with the capability of the Epson.

However - as of last night (a day after I noticed a new system update) - I go to fire up the Roku Big Screen and while everything comes on correctly - I see nothing on screen. Completely black screen - not even a light coming out of the projector. Spent another 20 minutes going back and forth between TV (so I could see the Roku on screen to check settings) and PJ. 

Today - same deal. When I fired up the Roku Watch TV activity today - I see the Roku "auto detecting" as 1080p (HDCP 1.4) - even when displaying to Samsung (which should be 4K). The only way I could get it back to detect correctly was a complete Roku restart which seemed to "stay" in 4K until I tried to switch back to the PJ - which oddly started working just once and detected correctly at 1080p.

Then when I switch back to the Roku TV activity - the Roku again detects at 1080p against a 4K/8K AVR and 4k TV.

This is now a total disaster as the Roku has no idea what it is detecting and cannot seem to cleanly switch between gear - where it worked great last week.

This is very frustrating as I can see from the thread piling up here - this build has really taken some key processes backwards.

Hoping for a fix.

Sonic.

12 Replies
StreamerUser
Level 16

Re: 9.4.0 (build 4190-29) Update destroys Premiere+ Auto Detection

Make sure you report this to Roku directly:

Chat or email:  https://support.roku.com/contactus/contact-options

0 Kudos
SonicMojo
Level 9

Report sent - however it is VERY interesting that if I select Premiere+ for my product when submitting a request - the system tells me that my product has no support - and to submit to the Community only.

If I select just the Premiere (with no + sign) I am able to submit a ticket.

Cheers

Sonic.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 16

Roku's support tree is absurd obfuscation at best - you have to experiment with the options to find one that works - I usually just choose setup/ultra/other/need more help regardless of model/issue.

0 Kudos
SonicMojo
Level 9

So I submit my issues and here is the response I get back...

2020-11-16_6-38-34.png

Kind of unbelievable. 

Clearly these guys have no clue what they are attempting to help with?

Sonic.

0 Kudos
SonicMojo
Level 9

Just an update here - 

I spent most of yesterday trying to troubleshoot my Premiere+ (4630x) and I cannot get it to survive any actual use with our 1080p Epson Projector.

Did a complete factory reset and while I am still able to get it to work (via a Harmony Touch activity) with our 2019 Samsung TV - it will not even talk (handshake) to my Epson PJ via a Harmony activity. All I get is the usual blank screen.

Actually - let me take that back - the Roku did work with my PJ activity - just ONCE. Immediately following the factory reset and basic setup via the Samsung TV. After using it via my Watch TV activity - I shut everything off and then fired up my Roku (Big Screen) activity and the Roku did correctly detect my Epson and did correctly detect 1080p. It was in fact - totally normal - but just that one time.

Prior to a quick lunch break - I shut everything down via the Harmony Touch and then came back to it 20 minutes later. Running the same activity again - resulted in a blank screen and I never could get the Roku to appear again.

Another bizarre side effect of this is if the Roku is part of ANY Harmony Touch activity that involves the PJ - the PJ will suddenly not power off (or go standby) when I hit Off on the Touch remote. All my other gear seems to power down - but the PJ just stays on. 

Conversely - if I use any other activity that uses the PJ as an endpoint but does NOT include the Roku - the PJ turns off correctly every time when using the Harmony Touch. Have not figured out that one at all yet.

I even decided to do super stealth test where I bypassed our new Marantz AVR completely and use my Oppo BDP-105 HDMI In to "host" another device so I plugged the Roku in there and fired up my Watch BluRay activity. (which uses our big screen and PJ).

Even in this case - where the Oppo has successfully hosted many a weird HDMI device in the past with no issues - the screen came up blank and no amount of input futzing on the Oppo could make the Roku appear on screen.

To ensure I was not seeing things - I shut everything down again, unplugged the Roku from the back of Oppo and fired up the Watch BluRay activity again - everything of course worked normally as soon as the Roku was on the sidelines and not connected to anything.

All I can say now is the 9.4.0 has had a massive negative effect on the HDMI handshake logic and needs to be addressed big time. It is - for all intents and purpose here with a perfectly solid 1080p PJ - completely useless.

Not exactly sure what Roku thought they were doing right with this update but it seems like almost everything is broken in some way (judging by the massive amount of forum chatter going on)

Sonic.

0 Kudos
SonicMojo
Level 9

Quick Update...

I spent most of yesterday trying to troubleshoot my Premiere+ (4630x) and I cannot get it to survive any actual use with our 1080p Epson Projector.

Did a complete factory reset and while I am able to get it to work (via a Harmony Touch activity) with our 2019 Samsung TV - it will not even talk (handshake) to my Epson PJ via a Harmony activity. All I get is a blank screen now.

Actually - I take that back - I WAS able to get the Roku up on screen WITH the PJ - just one time. Right after I completed the reset (using the Samsung TV) - I quickly shut everything down and fired up my Roku (Big Screen) activity. The gear all powered up normally and the Roku DID correctly handshake with Epson and displayed on screen normally. Just this once

I shut everything down again - took a quick lunch break and came back down 20 minutes later to fire up the same exact activity - and the Roku never did appear on screen again.

Another bizarre side effect is if the Roku is part of ANY Harmony Touch activity that involves the PJ - the PJ will suddenly not power off (or go standby) when I hit Off on the Touch remote. All my other gear seems to power down - but the PJ just stays on.

Conversely - if I use any other activity that uses the PJ but does NOT include the Roku - the PJ turns off correctly everytime when using the Harmony Touch.

I even did some super stealth testing where I decided to bypass our new Marantz AVR completely and use my Oppo BDP-105 HDMI In to "host" another device so I plugged the Roku in there and fired up my Watch BluRay activity. (which uses the big screen and the Epson)

Even in this case - where the Oppo has successfully hosted many a weird HDMI device in the past with no issues - the screen came up blank and no amount of input futzing on the Oppo could make the Roku appear on screen.

TO make certain I was not seeing things - I shut everything down and removed the Roku from the equation entirely - of course the Watch Bluray activity worked perfectly. Sigh.

To sum up - 9.4.0 has had a massive negative effect on the HDMI handshake logic and needs to be addressed big time.

Not exactly sure what Roku thought they were doing right with this update but it seems like almost everything is broken in some way (judging by the massive amount of forum chatter going on)

Sonic

0 Kudos
SonicMojo
Level 9

Another MAJOR Update...

About three weeks ago - I ordered in a new Roku Premiere (3920CA) and finally had a chance to stick it in the media rack today.

After the initial setup and app population/activation - I updated my Harmony Touch to reflect the addition of the new Roku and updated my two Roku activities.

Low and behold - this new device works perfectly with both my Samsung Q6FN AND the Epson 3020 Home Cinema. 9.4.0 is installed on this new device and I could not find a single issue to write here about.

What this clearly tells me is that Roku AND their latest OS releases seem to benefit the new hardware and ONLY the new hardware. My 2016 Premiere+ still will not work with the Epson and after seeing how quickly this new device fired up and took over - I am done trying. I will move it to another room and use it with another TV in the future.

Unfortunate that Roku cannot keep existing devices viable - but I guess that's what they wanted all along. Keep buying more stuff people....

Sonic.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 16

Roku does favor the newer and/or higher end devices in terms of support and firmware development: e.g. the 4800 is at build 4212, whereas only some non-4800 devices are on build 4200 - released over a week after 4212.

(you may want to verify that both your devices are on the same build of 9.4.0 - they may not be, which could account for the different behavior)

Regardless, there have been 4 years of hardware and software development/changes since the 2016 Premier+ was released, and its to be expected that there will be functional/performance differences/variations.

0 Kudos
SonicMojo
Level 9

@StreamerUser wrote:

Roku does favor the newer and/or higher end devices in terms of support and firmware development: e.g. the 4800 is at build 4212, whereas only some non-4800 devices are on build 4200 - released over a week after 4212.

(you may want to verify that both your devices are on the same build of 9.4.0 - they may not be, which could account for the different behavior)

Regardless, there have been 4 years of hardware and software development/changes since the 2016 Premier+ was released, and its to be expected that there will be functional/performance differences/variations.

Understood - however 9.3.0 was working fine on my 2016 Premiere+.

And I am certainly not looking for (or expecting) cool new features or performance - I was expecting my unit to continue working as before.

There is no excuse for suddenly deprecating a device due to a new update. Even if the box is 4 years old.

Now - if Roku should decide to not support these older boxes - at least tell me in advance so I know where I stand AND allow me stay on last know good. But jamming an update down the pipe (to everyone) and killing known good functionality is inexcusable and frankly just bad business if you ask me.

I should not have to go out and throw money at the problem to get another working device.

Sonic.

0 Kudos