Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sterod
Level 7

8.1.0 broke 5.1 surround audio playback

Guys, I don't know what changed in Build 8.1.0 released at the end of June but something you did broke Surround Sound audio playback.  I've had my Ultra for a year and its been flawless until last week.  Now, anything I playback that has surround audio (5.1) has constant audio drop outs basically making it unusable.  This is occurring in both Netflix and PLEX so it is not a software issue on the streaming side.  It also isn't an issue with my audio receiver as it has not been updated.  There appears to be a growing number of people on Reddit complaining about the exact same issue so please do not dismiss this or try to blame our hardware.  Something definitely broke in 8.1.0 and now the only way to get stable audio is to force the Roku into Stereo mode.  See link below to reddit article.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Roku/comments/ ... 10_update/
0 Kudos
11 Replies
sterod
Level 7

Re: 8.1.0 broke 5.1 surround audio playback

Looks like I'm not the only one.

https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=116513
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Already been reported and verified as a bug. I'm sure they are working to fix it.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
MightyHandy
Level 7

Same issue here. DTS appears to still work. Dolby, ac3, aac all getting turned into stereo.
0 Kudos
jontalk
Level 7

Wow...seems like the Ultra is the problem child...I upgraded to an LG OLED TV recently and thought about replacing the Roku 3, but seeing all these issues has me wonder. Haven't had any issues on the 3, even with the recent 8.1 firmware release.
Roku 3 - Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
LG OLED55B7A, Roku 3, Marantz SR-6005, Panasonic Blu Ray, Definitive Studio Monitor 450 (L/R), Definitive LCR 2000 (center), Definitive 10" sub-woofer, Definitive surrounds.
0 Kudos
rockou
Level 7

Hmm weird I haven't had any audio droputs with my Ultra in a long time. On 8.1 now.
4K HDR TV: Samsung UN60KS8000
4K HDR Receiver: Yamaha RX-V381
4K HDR blu ray: Samsung UBD-K8500
4K HDR streamer: Roku Ultra (2016 model)
4K HDR Gaming: Xbox One X
4K HDR DVR: Directv Genie HS17-500 w/ C61K mini client
Cables: Amazon Basics 18Gbps HDMI
0 Kudos
Donrb5
Level 7

I have a Roku 3 and my receiver no longer recognizes Dolby 5.1 either when on 8.1.0

I just checked and there is an update available (8.1. Build 4141). but it didn’t work.

Still detecting Stereo only. When Audio HDMI set to Dolby D or Dolby D, DTS apps like Netflix do not show 5.1 available in movies.
WhenAudio is set to Dolby D+ Or Dolby D+ DTS there is no audio at all.
0 Kudos
Hollada
Level 7

Did you ever get this working?
0 Kudos
Stevo4756
Level 7

I just purchased a roku ultra and will be returning this piece of junk. Roku obviously doesn't care to fix the issue which is disappointing. I will take my business to an Apple or Google product as this company is a waste of time. Thank you fellow forum friends for posting your displeasure. Several months from the initial complaint and NOTHING FROM ROKU! I'm just glad I didn't waste more time than I did. Goodbye roku
0 Kudos
RokuDale
Level 8

Make sure you do not have Night-Mode or Volume-Leveling turned on, that disables 5.1 on the 4660.
0 Kudos