Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ibuddy66
Level 7

8.0.1 Build 4140 Audio Effects Blacked Out Issue

Since updating my TCL Roku TV, the audio effect tab in the options menu has been blacked out.  I utilize a Bose Cinemate device for sound through the optical output and need to have device speakers disabled for optimum performance and to prevent a difference in volume causing auditory distortion etc.  
Before updating I was able to set  the audio effect to different settings depending on what my needs were to fine tune the sound.  For example, it to Speech instead of Normal.  It changed the way the audio would sound for me.  It is a majorly needed feature especially for devices like the bose cinemate sound systems and such that do not allow for any other audio tuning except for from the tv itself.  

In the image below see the options tab open, the portion blacked out now is audio mode.  it is this way on input devices and on everything else now unless you enable device speakers which is a problem with devices like the bose cinemate that sits below a tv which use the optical output and have no individual way of altering sound type and mixes on their own.  Big problem now not just for me but many many others. 

Why is this an issue?

1. I and many others utilize a Bose Cinemate device and other devices as a home theater system that has no internal way to adjust audio settings.  
2. the audio on the tv is now unable to be changed to better suit different programs films or shows with different sound or audio needs. 
3. I have auditory processing disorders that require me to be able to adjust the way things sound based on the program itself.  Speech is a big issue and for me needs to be louder than the background noise in things.  It is also a major issue for autistic children too and adults, many of whom I know are unable to use their roku or roku tv device now because of this issue since the updates to this.  
4. It also affects inputs and any other devices connected to the tv will not allow the audio settings to change either. 
0 Kudos
2 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: 8.0.1 Build 4140 Audio Effects Blacked Out Issue

If I understand correctly, you want to disable the internal speakers. You can still do this in the main settings menu under Audio/TV Speakers. 
In your picture, the only selection I see grayed out is the Audio Track, not Audio Mode. Funny thing on my Insignia TV. Pressing the * button doesn't even open that menu any more. I may try rebooting the TV to see if it comes back. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
ibuddy66
Level 7

Re: 8.0.1 Build 4140 Audio Effects Blacked Out Issue

"atc98092" wrote:
If I understand correctly, you want to disable the internal speakers. You can still do this in the main settings menu under Audio/TV Speakers. 
In your picture, the only selection I see grayed out is the Audio Track, not Audio Mode. Funny thing on my Insignia TV. Pressing the * button doesn't even open that menu any more. I may try rebooting the TV to see if it comes back. 

Hey thanks for the reply.  No I need to change the audio mode from normal to speech.  It doesn't let me anymore.  If I enable the internal tv speakers it will let me, but then that screws up my sound system.  Causes audio lag.  They are disabled and should remain that way. 
0 Kudos