Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

7.1 Receiver sounds mediocre when using Roku Premier

When using our Roku Premier through our high end 7.1 receiver, I can't utilize its sound options.  Sound appears to come out of the two front speakers only and it's not 100% clear.  No center channel and no surround sound.  Have to increase the volume to hear conversations clearly.

Receiver works properly when watching cable and Blu Ray sources. 

The receiver is about 10 years old and does not process 4K.  Is this the problem?

Any ideas?

Thanks.

ES

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Level 21

Re: 7.1 Receiver sounds mediocre when using Roku Premiere

If it's that old, it probably doesn't support Dolby Digital Plus. DD+ is what almost all online streaming sites use for 5.1 audio. If your AVR doesn't support it, you'll only get stereo. Audio sounds just fine with my Yamaha AVRs, which both support DD+. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Level 7

Re: 7.1 Receiver sounds mediocre when using Roku Premiere

Thanks for your response. Our 13 year old Sony A/V receiver supports DD Plus as well as a bewildering variety of other audio formats, AFD decoding and sound fields.

Your suggestion got me thinking about our initial Roku audio set up.  It was defaulted to stereo.  So I changed it automatic.  So far that seems to have done the trick.  Surround speakers are active, the center channel is robust and the multichannel decoding lamp on the receiver now lights up.  Volume has to be turned up a bit but that's ok.

Thanks again!

ES

0 Kudos