Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DubTaylor
Level 10

Re: 55S401 major audio delay issues...even when using an AVR! What is going on?!

Here's 132 pages of various audio sync issues with various models - yes... been happening a LONG time. No relief in sight:
https://forums.roku.com/search.php?keywords=audio+sync

DTS/High Def Audio are the usual suspects. Convert to something else - manually. Yep, it's a work around, but a work around that works:
https://www.xmedia-recode.de/en/download.html
^that's what I use - 'cause it's just too easy.
0 Kudos
Heyitsrick
Level 11

Re: 55S401 major audio delay issues...even when using an AVR! What is going on?!

Yeah, I stand corrected - looks like it's the Roku OS that does the system updating here.  And I see you've been elsewhere looking for answers (AVS, Reddit, etc.). Looks like other Roku TV owners have experienced this issue.

Did you do a factory reset on this TV? Or, did you do the less-intrusive audio/video reset?  Factory and/or Audio-Video TCL Reset

Have you gone "outside the box" in looking for things that seemingly shouldn't affect audio - at least insofar as making it lag video? I'm thinking about turning OFF HDR, for example. HDR shouldn't cause audio to lag, unless it's stealing bandwidth from the additional video signal required. Make sense? I would try stuff like that, just remembering where things were set before you toggled them.

Here's another outside the box example - Roku secret screens. That's where you can use the remote keys in various sequences to bring up secret Roku screens.  There's one, for example, that toggles "Audience Listening" as well as private audio via the headphones in the Roku remote concurrently. Again, should that affect audio lag outbound via HDMI or Optical? No, but it is part of the audio functionality.  

Here's where you can find that sequence, as well as other Secret Screens:  Roku Secret Screens

How about toggling CEC functionality on/off on the Roku TV (in Roku Settings)?

These are all things I would play around with when normal audio-only settings don't help.  
0 Kudos
malrats
Level 8

"DubTaylor" wrote:
Here's 132 pages of various audio sync issues with various models - yes... been happening a LONG time. No relief in sight:

DTS/High Def Audio are the usual suspects. Convert to something else - manually. Yep, it's a work around, but a work around that works:

I’m having this issue when watching live TV or Netflix or playing video games or things like that, so converting audio isn’t really something that I can do. :-/
TCL 55S401 Roku TV (Unsolved audio/video lag issues!)
0 Kudos
malrats
Level 8

"Heyitsrick" wrote:
Yeah, I stand corrected - looks like it's the Roku OS that does the system updating here.  And I see you've been elsewhere looking for answers (AVS, Reddit, etc.). Looks like other Roku TV owners have experienced this issue.

Did you do a factory reset on this TV? Or, did you do the less-intrusive audio/video reset?  Factory and/or Audio-Video TCL Reset

Have you gone "outside the box" in looking for things that seemingly shouldn't affect audio - at least insofar as making it lag video? I'm thinking about turning OFF HDR, for example. HDR shouldn't cause audio to lag, unless it's stealing bandwidth from the additional video signal required. Make sense? I would try stuff like that, just remembering where things were set before you toggled them.

Here's another outside the box example - Roku secret screens. That's where you can use the remote keys in various sequences to bring up secret Roku screens.  There's one, for example, that toggles "Audience Listening" as well as private audio via the headphones in the Roku remote concurrently. Again, should that affect audio lag outbound via HDMI or Optical? No, but it is part of the audio functionality.  

Here's where you can find that sequence, as well as other Secret Screens:  Roku Secret Screens

How about toggling CEC functionality on/off on the Roku TV (in Roku Settings)?

These are all things I would play around with when normal audio-only settings don't help.  

Yeah, I’ve definitely done a full factory reset. That was a huge pain but it didn’t change anything. HDR is disabled, I don’t like how dark it makes everything, anyway. I’ve messed around with the secret screens and with CEC and nothing has made any difference.

The part that I really don’t understand is that I’m even having this issue with an AVR. I don’t understand how that can be. Two different AVRs, same 100ms lag. Maybe the TV is still somehow finding a way to do some audio processing despite the AVR? I just don’t understand that part at all.
0 Kudos
DubTaylor
Level 10

"malrats" wrote:
"DubTaylor" wrote:

I’m having this issue when watching live TV or Netflix or playing video games or things like that, so converting audio isn’t really something that I can do. :-/

Roger that...
Well, I'm sure a whole bunch of people are just as mystified as you are (judging by the sheer number of posts and users shouting for help). After reading about these issues for... years... there doesn't seem to be any real solution. Factory resets annoy - they do not cure.
0 Kudos
malrats
Level 8

"DubTaylor" wrote:
"malrats" wrote:
"DubTaylor" wrote:

Roger that...
Well, I'm sure a whole bunch of people are just as mystified as you are (judging by the sheer number of posts and users shouting for help). After reading about these issues for... years... there doesn't seem to be any real solution. Factory resets annoy - they do not cure.

At this point, so much of me wishes I could just ditch Roku forever and move onto a smart TV without such an awful unresolved issue but a) TVs are expensive and b) there’s no guarantee that another TV won’t have the same sort of issue.

I still don’t understand how an AVR doesn’t fix the issue, though. That’s ultimately where I’m confused beyond belief.
0 Kudos
DubTaylor
Level 10

Yup...

There's a whole building full of developers over at Plex listening to a whole bunch of shouting users unhappy with the words and the lips not living in the same zip code, but those developers keep pointing back at Roku. Right now it seems to be a pointing match with no clear winners... Users, however, remain the big losers in all of this.
0 Kudos
Heyitsrick
Level 11

The specs for this tv says it passes through Dolby Digital Plus, and actually processes Dolby Digital (probably for transcoding DD+ via Optical).  

TCL Specs

You could test that processing theory by setting the Roku TV for Dolby Digital (not Plus) and see if you get transcoded Netflix in standard DD. Normally, Netflix is only DD+ or Stereo.  
0 Kudos
malrats
Level 8

"Heyitsrick" wrote:
The specs for this tv says it passes through Dolby Digital Plus, and actually processes Dolby Digital (probably for transcoding DD+ via Optical).  

TCL Specs

You could test that processing theory by setting the Roku TV for Dolby Digital (not Plus) and see if you get transcoded Netflix in standard DD. Normally, Netflix is only DD+ or Stereo.  

Wait, when I go on Netflix it says it uses Dolby Digital. But I only keep the TV set to Dolby Digital, anyway, not Dolby Digital Plus. And when I use Netflix, it says Dolby Digital on the AVR screen.

I’ve also tried setting the TV to auto when connected via HDMI-ARC and it still shows Dolby Digital. I don’t think my AVR supports Plus.
0 Kudos
malrats
Level 8

I just disabled ARC on my TV and turned on my Xbox One X, which is only connected to my AVR via HDMI.

It now has no audio. That tells me that the TV is still somehow involved in delivering the audio. Something must be configured wrong.

Edit: It was just set to “HDMI THRU” on the AVR instead of “HDMI AMP”. That gave the Xbox audio, but it still has the delay.

https://imgur.com/gallery/tiOhq42
0 Kudos