Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jiren9000
Level 8

50” ONN roku tv no audio after turning off to. Have to reboot.

Got a 50” ONN Black Friday Roku TV from Walmart (Walmart ONN model number: 100021258 ) the $130 deal. Whenever I turn the tv off, and then turn back on, the tv stops outputting sound. Only a power cable and tv antenna are connected. Only thing that fixes it is a system reboot. I also tried factory reset and no dice.

Everything else works fine on the tv. 

edit: it appears “fast tv start” is what is causing it. Disabling it stops the issue, but now I can’t use other features like Alexa. 

Model Info: 

onn. 50" Class 4K UHD LED Roku Smart TV 100021258 $128.00

8 Replies
david_lee_smith
Level 7

Re: 50” ONN roku tv no audio after turning off to. Have to reboot.

same exact problem - very annoying - tried several online "fixes" and nothing works. Hope this gets resolved soon.

Jiren9000
Level 8

Roku please fix this

atc98092
Level 21

As a reminder, Roku does not manufacture the Roku branded TVs. Any hardware issues (and this would likely be hardware) are handled by the TV manufacturer, who in this case is Onn.

And as the OP reported, disabling fast start might resolve the issue for you as well. It's not a common problem with Roku TVs, as I have two and never need to pull the power to get sound. 

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Jiren9000
Level 8

> And as the OP reported, disabling fast start might resolve the issue for you as well. It's not a common problem with Roku TVs, as I have two and never need to pull the power to get sound. 

It's still a problem. Pretty poor quality control I have to say with Roku TVs overall. That's great that your TV doesn't cause you any problems, but that doesn't really mean anything.  

Disabling fast start means you cannot use several major Roku TV functions such as Alexa, Siri, etc. functionality.

> As a reminder, Roku does not manufacture the Roku branded TVs. Any hardware issues (and this would likely be hardware) are handled by the TV manufacturer, who in this case is Onn.

This is a software issue clearly not a hardware issue. It is a bug. If it was a hardware issue, the audio would not work. Clearly the software was not written up to spec. 

It seems that Roku wants to disavow itself from the TVs that it badges itself to. Clearly this is a bug that afflicts thousands of units if not more. 

Pretty disappointing experience. I cannot recommend Roku TV if major problems given problems like this plague these units and there is evidently minimal quality control. 

atc98092
Level 21

@Jiren9000 wrote:

> And as the OP reported, disabling fast start might resolve the issue for you as well. It's not a common problem with Roku TVs, as I have two and never need to pull the power to get sound. 

It's still a problem. Pretty poor quality control I have to say with Roku TVs overall. That's great that your TV doesn't cause you any problems, but that doesn't really mean anything.  

Disabling fast start means you cannot use several major Roku TV functions such as Alexa, Siri, etc. functionality.

This is a software issue clearly not a hardware issue. It is a bug. 

Without knowing the cause, there's no way to know if it's a software or hardware issue. Since there seems to be few if any reports of it, a software issue seems unlikely. As far as quality control, that again is purely within the realm of the manufacturer, not the OS developer. Onn is a bargain brand. If they cut corners on the hardware, it's possible it's not working correctly with the OS. That is not the fault of the OS developer. 

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Jiren9000
Level 8

> Without knowing the cause, there's no way to know if it's a software or hardware issue. Since there seems to be few if any reports of it, a software issue seems unlikely. As far as quality control, that again is purely within the realm of the manufacturer, not the OS developer. Onn is a bargain brand. If they cut corners on the hardware, it's possible it's not working correctly with the OS. That is not the fault of the OS developer. 

Do you work for Roku? If so, that's a pretty irresponsible response. I'm a software developer myself, and this is clearly a bug. The reason why there a 'few' reports of it is b/c there hasn't been enough time for enough people to notice this yet since the unit came out only a couple of weeks ago. 

You keep assuming that this is a hardware issue. Everything works fine on the unit - audio, video, internet, apps, etc. It is without a doubt, unequivocally, a software bug. 

If you don't have any solutions for this, then there's no further need to respond to this thread. Thank you. 

atc98092
Level 21

@Jiren9000 wrote:

> Without knowing the cause, there's no way to know if it's a software or hardware issue. Since there seems to be few if any reports of it, a software issue seems unlikely. As far as quality control, that again is purely within the realm of the manufacturer, not the OS developer. Onn is a bargain brand. If they cut corners on the hardware, it's possible it's not working correctly with the OS. That is not the fault of the OS developer. 

Do you work for Roku? If so, that's a pretty irresponsible response. I'm a software developer myself, and this is clearly a bug. The reason why there a 'few' reports of it is b/c there hasn't been enough time for enough people to notice this yet since the unit came out only a couple of weeks ago. 

You keep assuming that this is a hardware issue. Everything works fine on the unit - audio, video, internet, apps, etc. It is without a doubt, unequivocally, a software bug. 

If you don't have any solutions for this, then there's no further need to respond to this thread. Thank you. 

No, all Roku employees clearly show they are employees in their name labels. Yes, I have some developer background myself, but it's not my profession. I'm merely pointing out that Roku is going to tell you that all support for Roku TVs is provided by the TV manufacturer. Have a nice day. 

Dan
0 Kudos
Zaraphandox
Level 7

@Jiren9000 I had the same issue and fixed it recently with disabling fast start.

0 Kudos