Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
StreamerUser
Level 20

Re: 5.1 DTS or Dolby Digital flac/wav Files Supported?

@Carbo3D wrote:

I don’t know WHY it is so difficult for this Roku device to simply play multi-track AUDIO files in true surround sound 5.1 via the Roku Media app. Instead it puts out just the blaring white-noise encoded DTS/ac3 as PCM files. It’s 2021 and no true audio bitstream pass-through? And playing FLAC audio files is a choppy experience at best; another fail. I thought I would give Roku another try considering this is a BRAND NEW 2021 Express 4K+ model that touts it has audio pass-through. This gadget has SO much potential with native OTG NTFS drive recognition, great Apple screen mirroring…c’mon, coders, this ain’t rocket science. Back it goes!

There is no doubt that OS10's local streamed audio (and some video) support via RMP or otherwise is a bit broken (see multiple other threads about this).

And yes, Roku devices (especially newer models like the 4800, 3940/3941) are being hamstrung by poor RokuOS programming, especially for local playback - Roku seems to have abandoned local playback support/development by and large over the last year, or at least is incapable of hiring competent programmers (which is effectively the same thing).

Any Android TV-based device is probably going to be better for local playback at this point - find one you prefer and go with it.

0 Kudos
dwhitejazz
Level 9

Use the music player channel instead for flac files. Not as pretty but it works. Not a solution for 5.1 surround. 

The Roku Media Player has a bug where it skips playing flac files. They still have not fixed the problem after several months of complaints from other customers.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

RMP plays 5.1 AC-3 and DTS audio via bitstreaming without an issue. This is true for most Roku players. HDMI has to be connected directly to the AVR, and for DTS it has to be a MKV container. But it does bitstream 5.1 audio just fine. I haven't played with any FLAC files in quite some time, so I have no comment about it's current ability to play them.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
dwhitejazz
Level 9

I think Roku Ultra supports 5.1 but not using flac files. I have a Roku 3. My flac files are transcoded by the Roku to 2 channel PCM stereo. However, if I play the 6 channel flac files using my Sony blu-ray they decode properly for 5.1 surround sound. 

0 Kudos
dwhitejazz
Level 9

I meant to say the "My Music" channel. I've stopped using the Roku Media Player because it cannot play flac files without skipping. Although the problem has been reported by several people Roku has not addressed the issue or provided feedback as to why the bug was introduced in a recent build.

0 Kudos
atc98092

It surprises me that RMP doesn't play something properly, while another channel works OK. From what the previous developer told me, RMP is merely the user interface, and the Roku OS actually handles all the playback. If the OS has a problem, I would expect it to carry over to other channels. Perhaps the channel has some internal coding that replaces what the OS handles. That would seem likely from your description.

Dan

0 Kudos
renojim

@atc98092, "My Music" isn't using the newer Roku components that RMP is.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
atc98092

And that would be the explanation Smiley Very Happy

Dan

0 Kudos
MVman
Level 8

My new 4K express + only shows PCM on my Sonos system. It plays 5.1, Dolby digital and Atmos on sources from YouTube TV, Netflix and Prime when not accessing them through the Roku. Seems wrong. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
atc98092

@MVman wrote:

My new 4K express + only shows PCM on my Sonos system. It plays 5.1, Dolby digital and Atmos on sources from YouTube TV, Netflix and Prime when not accessing them through the Roku. Seems wrong. Any ideas?

How does your audio reach the Sonos system? Are you connected to the TV, which then sends the audio out via optical? Many TVs will not send 5.1 audio out the optical connection from external devices. 

Dan

0 Kudos